Battlefield Vietnam

CommunistWithAGunCommunistWithAGun Local Propaganda Guy Join Date: 2003-04-30 Member: 15953Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Problem...</div> I can run the game on max settings and it is very nice graphically however I get a "hitching" effect which is very annoying. Is there a way to fix this? (No this is not low FPS. I can be going around with 60fps and have it stutter)

I far surpass the minimums and run windows Xp.

Comments

• QuaunautQuaunaut The longest seven days in history... Join Date: 2003-03-21 Member: 14759Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--QuoteBegin-CommunistWithAGun+Aug 6 2004, 11:08 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (CommunistWithAGun @ Aug 6 2004, 11:08 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> I can run the game on max settings and it is very nice graphically however I get a "hitching" effect which is very annoying. Is there a way to fix this? (No this is not low FPS. I can be going around with 60fps and have it stutter)

I far surpass the minimums and run windows Xp. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Thats generally server lag. I get the exact same thing, and its STILL there in BF42. Something with the engine. Hopefully BF2 will fix it.
  • CommunistWithAGunCommunistWithAGun Local Propaganda Guy Join Date: 2003-04-30 Member: 15953Members
    <!--QuoteBegin-Quaunaut+Aug 7 2004, 01:13 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Quaunaut @ Aug 7 2004, 01:13 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> <!--QuoteBegin-CommunistWithAGun+Aug 6 2004, 11:08 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (CommunistWithAGun @ Aug 6 2004, 11:08 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> I can run the game on max settings and it is very nice graphically however I get a "hitching" effect which is very annoying. Is there a way to fix this? (No this is not low FPS. I can be going around with 60fps and have it stutter)

I far surpass the minimums and run windows Xp. <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Thats generally server lag. I get the exact same thing, and its STILL there in BF42. Something with the engine. Hopefully BF2 will fix it. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Happens offline too... :\
  • CodemanCodeman Join Date: 2002-11-21 Member: 9497Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    unless it's something evil like all your ram is being used and windows has to run crying to the swapfile it's probably some kind of network lag (if it's anything like Quake, offlines/sp games just connected to a listen server at 127.0.0.1 from memory. combine that with BF's terrible netcode.....)

does your hdd or anything start going crazy?
  • CommunistWithAGunCommunistWithAGun Local Propaganda Guy Join Date: 2003-04-30 Member: 15953Members
    Nope. Its a hitching effect. Unreal Torunement did it for me too however UT had an ingame option to preload things, increasing loading times but reducing this effect greatly.
  • SnidelySnidely Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13098Members
    edited August 2004
    I get the same thing, both when I played on my old computer (~2.0GHz, 512 RAM, ok graphics card) and on my new one (~3.0GHz, 512 RAM, better graphics card). I think it's just something narked with the BF games.
  • HellbillyHellbilly A whole title out of pity... Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 3931Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation
    My roomate got this problem and when he upgraded from 512mb ram to 1024mb, the problem dissapeared. Seems to be memory related.
    I now need to spend 140 bucks to play a 40 dollar game. GOOD GAME EA.
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu Anememone Join Date: 2002-03-23 Member: 345Members
    <!--QuoteBegin-CommunistWithAGun+Aug 7 2004, 09:13 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (CommunistWithAGun @ Aug 7 2004, 09:13 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> I now need to spend 140 bucks to play a 40 dollar game. GOOD GAME EA. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Well hey, you can play either way. It's not like they're going to murder you if you don't buy RAM. Besides, nobody forced you to buy the game in the first place, and EA isn't exacly going to make money from you buying extra RAM.
    Update: Apparently I fixed the hitching, due to <a href='http://www.unknownworlds.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=77184' target='_blank'>this</a>

However midi sounds won't play for me now (which is OK because only BFV apparently uses some)
  • SnidelySnidely Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13098Members
    edited August 2004
    Minimum specs are far, far below a gig+ of RAM. No reviews I read mentioned anything of the like. So while no-one forced me to buy the game, I resent the fact that it stutters like Porky Pig being cattle-prodded.*

<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>*I reserve the right to use hyberbole.</span>

Maybe it'll run better under XP; good ol' ME loved to swallow up memory. Here's hoping.