Why's that you ask? This is not a scripting debate.
It has come to my attention that both the +jump command and pistol are rumored to be automatic, in order to reduce the dependancy upon scripts that these two commands have right now. However, this is flawed and leads into other problems and therefore is a bad solution.
Basically the command +3jumps (or +5jumps, or +7jumps or whatever) still cannnot compare to any autojump command. Furthermore, no pistol script cannot replicate an auto pistol. If the pistol was automatic, or the +jump command automatic, it would kill the need for scripts in this situation, but at the expense of making the pistol better than it is now as well as making bhop easier than it currently is now. The problems that break down with each of these options:Auto Jump
- No need for timing whatsoever
- Can bhop up and down the steepest of slopes, currently as a fast moving skulk I cannot do this with the fastest of keystrokes on a +5jumps script (I use +3jumps by default). I can bhop down slopes pretty easily though, but still requires a good sense of how to move to do it correctly.
- Can bhop through vents, going through small vents at extreamlly fast speeds (read: Do you really want this?
- No pistol script makes your pistol automatic. This is a boost as all you have to do is trace your target, like an LMG.
- Ruin's diversity between the pistol and LMG, one is semi-automatic and the other is automatic... now marines have no semi-automatic weapon.Alternate solutions which are much betterQuake Style Jumping
- In quake, everyone could figure out bhop easily, no one complained about it and it was (still is) reguarded as only a skill.
- The reason it was a skill is simply because in order to jump, you just hit the +jump key. Simple.
- To jump again upon landing on the ground as quickly as possible, you just hit the +jump key, mid air, and upon touching the ground another jump would be automatically executed.
- You would not be able to bhop through small vents or up steep slopes, unless you could mash your jump key extreamlly quickly. I also doubt any human hands could keep it up for long.Double Shot Pistol
- Instead of an automatic pistol, just do what the currently most popular pistol script does at the moment.
- Press it very quickly, and it fires only one shot. Press any slower than that, and it fires two shots. This allows players a semi-automatic pistol that does not operate like an LMG yet can reach it's cap very easily.
- How the script works:
alias +pistol "+attack"
alias -pistol "-attack; wait; +attack; wait; -attack"
All this does is use +attack when you press it once, and +attack upon the release of the button. Why this only fires one shot if you fire the pistol fast enough is because the second +attack command will not work due to the cap of the pistol's ROF.
This is easy enough for most players to figure out and yet keeps the pistol original and does not give it any boosts from the current state it is now.
Both of these solutions are much more unique than to simply make +jump and the pistol automatic. Making +jump and the pistol automatic changes the game, probably for the worse I'm guessing.
Where as my listed solutions do not, and yet eliminates any need for the script that was nessesary in the first place to produce it.