Learn NS from the best and brightest!
EDiT: This isn't the most imaginative solution so I'm sure it must have been thought of before but anywho...
As you know from my, "Fortheloveofgodandallthingsholy" thread I've been discussing the need for some sort of tutorial/training map for new players. The information and feedback I recieved from that thread seems to indicate that the biggest obstacle to making it happen is the time it will take to code the training map. A mod with unpaid coders/devs cannot always allocate people to do such extensive features like the one we've been asking for. For those who don't know Flay and Co. are already quite occupide at the moment with major life events along with a major version release.
Now I have not recieved any feedback specifically regarding whether anyone else can take on the training map project. A potential problem is the immensity of the project according to one of my sources from the other thread. It may be tough to get enough people to volunteer time for it.
So my twine and duct tape solution.HLTV based Tutorial - Idea BreakdownRequirements
6 Marine players
6 Alien players
1 HLTV Director
14 Player Server (min.)
Create a training movie with leading "experts" on how to play NS.Idea Breakdown
- record the HLTV Director demo (I think this will save us from needing to edit
- the HLTV Director directs the "camera"
- he selects the in-game moderators' view or a players' First-Person view
- the Moderator does the training with assistance from the players
- use active clanners and NS Guides for players
- "loose script" with all the vital training details that must be coveredTraining Script Breakdown
- make it "fun" yet informative
- detail all the training that must be included in the script
- script events for the purpose of trainingie.
Basic Scripting - Marine TeamHLTV Director
- Moderator FPV
(First Person View)Moderator - Basic Introduction Module
"Welcome to Natural Selection. This is the Marine Team. Marines start the game with a Light Machine Gun with 100 rounds and a Pistol with 10 rounds. You will also have 1 COMM Chair -
Look at the CCMarine Team
- get into a defensive position near the COMM chair (look cool!!)
- one marine stand right in front the COMM chair (look over your marines)
Look at the RT
"-and 1 Resource Tower to begin with. People call it an RT. There are nozzles on the map where you can cap other RTs. It costs resources to get buildings, upgrades and weapons. The more RTs you have the faster you get resources
Look back at CC
"The marine team needs a Commander who will; place buildings and get upgrades, drop weapons and armour, med packs, ammo, and catalyst packs, he can also make waypoints. Always listen to your COMM. To be the COMM you press the use button on the COMM Chair.
- the marine in front of the COMM chair jumps in
Get into a good position to see a skulk rush defenceAlien Team
- rush in to attack COMM chair
- couple of aliens start chomping on the RT (just take to yellow)
- look cool but don't eat everyone (leave at least 2 marines)
- Marines should win (do not kill the Moderator)
"Skulk rush! If you lose your COMM Chair you will lose the game.
Help in base defence.
Stop RecordingEnd of Basic Introduction Module
-Moderator - Basic Buildings/Equipment Module
TITLE: Basic Buildings/Equipment
"Some of your fellow marines were killed. The COMM will drop an Infantry Portal or an IP. If you die you respawn from the IP.
- COMM drops an IP.
- a couple marines run to it and start building.
Walk over and help build IPs.
"To build press use near the building. You can't shoot while you're building so have someone watch for aliens. The more IPs you have the faster you spawn.
- COMM drops another
- marines finish IPs
- COMM drops Armoury
- Marines fill up with Ammo
Walk over and help build armoury
"This is an armoury. With an armoury you can get ammo and the COMM can drop weapons and armour near it.
Fill some LMG and some Pistol. Walk in front of the armoury.Marines
- COMM drops 2 Welders in front of Moderator
- 1 marine picks up welder and follow Moderator
Look at the welder.
"Remember the skulk was chomping on your buildings. This is a welder, it can repair buildings and armour of your team mates. It's important to keep your buildings welded.
Grab welder and run to RT. Select the Welder
"To weld select the welder and press fire near the building. For buildings you will see the health ring fill up.
Weld RT with Marine.
FADE OUTEnd of Basic Buildings/Equipment Module
And so on and so forth... you get the point.
I would purposely record "modules" instead of an entire tutorial movie because if there are any major revisions the section can be changed not the whole movie. Implimentation
Is it possible for there to be some way a new player has to watch these videos before he can play either side. Watch this to unlock deal option. I think that will be ideal but including the two movies with the installation would be good too.
It'll take a little organizing what do you think?