strange lag problem
I run a small NS server on my home cable connection. Broadband clients can connect and play on it with no problems. I have a friend who is on dial-up (poor guy). He can play other NS servers without any major problems.
However, whenever he plays on my server his latency is just fine (200's), until he gets into combat. As soon as he gets into combat his ping goes through the roof and he starts getting net send packet errors, and eventually his game will crash on him.
I guess what is puzzling me is, why can he play on other servers without this happening, and not on mine, and why is it that broadband clients can play on my server without problems, but he can't. It just doesn't make sense to me.
I've tried everything I can think of. I'll make a list of what I have alread tried.
1) He has a 3 Com hardware modem.
2) I run Blatt Rate so broadband players aren't sucking up his bandwidth.
3) I've tried shutting down Blatt Rate, but he still has the same problems.
4) I have sv_maxupdaterate 31 in my server.cfg so hopefully his connection isn't getting flooded.
5) We've tried all sorts of tweaks on his end, including all the video tweaks listed in this forum (although he has a Radeon 9700, so he really shouldn't have to use any of the video tweaks, but someone recommended them, so we tried them).
6) He has tweaked his rate and updaterate as follows:
- clcmdrate 10
- clupdaterate 10