Well i have got it running
it is using about 13% of a xp 2100 when idle but it is running what i did....
Clean install of freebsd 4.8 with linux compat
I then cvsup'ed ran portupdate etc to get 100% up to date
I then deinstalled the Linux_base Port and installed the new linux_base-8 port
I installed hlds 22.214.171.124d and ns with the 126.96.36.199 fix so
i then found it keeped saying that it couldn't find lib/libnoversion.1.so although it was there
then came the wierd and wonderful fix....
i mounted linproc, bang it started running then installed metamod and admin no problems
Still haven't tested it under load but it isn't crashing