How to win in 2.0, personal experiences
Here are general tips you need to do if you wanna win:
- make squads and always give your marines orders, explain them to stay at last waypoint if idle and to return there if they die
- tell each squad what to do (2 regroup at WP wait for others, 1 guard that area etc..)
- do NOT respond to general "big gun" request! You are not shop seller, you are comm, explain them you know best what to do with res and you will give them equipment later.
- by any means do not respond to people yelling at you "comm ha and hmg!", these are worst kind of rambos and are gonna die around first corner, respon only if marines requesting special gun to do special job (welder or GL most likely (gorge in vent :-)
- if encountering sensory chamber, scan when marines near and give them waypoint to sensory chamber explaining them to kill it first
- if someone is still playing rambo ask him nicely to stay with his squad, if you get no response, do not give him equipment or medpacks/ammo. Its still better to play without 1 marine than to dump 80% of res income on him.
- if its time to equip squad with ha, call the squad home and try to give best equipment to people who best followed orders,
give ha/shotguns in first wave, shotguns much more effective on buildings and cheaper, unless you have tons of res equip mostly shotguns and few hmg or gl
- remind your marines what is their task, watch health of ha, if someone seems dropping health fast med spam and yell at marines to weld him!
- explain even game mechanics if neccesary! (you are ha, do not wory about spores, lerk is throwing umbra, kill lerk first, its the bird right there at WP and so on, do not forget many newbies joining NS2.0)
Here is my "general" strategy i follow if nothing changes, works very well:
I usually start with minimal base - 2IP and armory and make 2 squads - squad 1 with task to defend base (later to defend points we gained) and bigger squad 2 - general assault/expansion.
Check for hive (listen to its res tower) first and plan for some choke points you want to hold to keep aliens in their part of map. In most maps you can isolate aliens by taking 2 specific points (you can divide map to 2 halfs in eg. lost or try to keep them in hive or with 2 hives).
Send your squad 2 slowly to first choke point or first strategic place (double res) and build res towers on the way, watch for squad one to stay at base, since no turrets at base.
Fortify the place you selected for squad 2 with some basic turrets, sometimes aliens got there first and have even SC/OC if enough gorges, in that way feel free to siege them and then sell siege post :-)
Start upgrade of armory as soon as possible if aliens are using sensory often build 1-2 obs at base and do not forget to give them to squads :-)
(I like them at squads 4 and 5). You will need obs anyway for phase tech with this strategy.
If map you play has marine start with only 2 entrances send squad 1 to opposite direction to harass aliens or take second choke point you planned to capture, otherwise first build some turrs at home base and then send them.
If you have your choke points captured and fortified try to hold aliens and do not allow aliens to get past them and eat undefended res towers, I usually hold 4-5 res towers with this strategy against very good aliens, against average aliens i often manage to make one "choke point" near middle hive and totally catch aliens in first hive controlling almost all res.
At this point I usually select most experienced marine for squad 3 - special operations, his task is to kill some alien res towers
As you are holding points and teching up feel free to send some squad for minor attacks but bigger aliens are coming right in that moment and you need to give them proper equipment soon, squad 2 needs to harass aliens and squad 1 is defending, it is important to put pressure on aliens since i usually do not build ANY defenses at home base holding just choke points, it may sound risky, but never failed me so far, yes once lerk got past control points to marine base and once skulk, but they cant do real damage just shout at squad 1 member to phase home :-)
When I have equipment next thing I do is to send squad 2 for another hive attack (aliens have 1-2 hives at this point) and telling squad 1 to defend points we have using phase gates. If aliens noticed attack on hive they concentrate all power on it so I send squad 1 to help squad 2. These are the most heated battles, 2 hive aliens against best equipped marines, but you should win, give your marines even some micromanagement, say them to stay at elevated place and so on.
Usually after you kill 2nd hive and make some small outpost there you have open way to last hive, since aliens wasted their res on you and wont get higher life forms.
Game using this strategy should never last longer than 15-20 minutes in the end your 2 squads full in ha stand in last alien hive :-)
I had one stalemate (lasting about 30 minutes when aliens were good and managed to keep us busy at choke points and had enough res, it was 5 res against 5 res, but we eventually won this game) and one lost game (my mic wasnt working) out of 13 games on general 8v8 public.
I really do not feel aliens are overpowered, marines just need teamplay.