*Grabs Fire Extinguisher*
Sigh, this is gonna sound like flammage. But it's not. So chill out. Or I'll flame ya
I ALSO know, that even if this thread initially goes over well somebody will come in, flame me or someone else and the thread will get locked. I have INCREDIBLE psychic powers.
To cover my initial bases, I thought 90% of the trailer was awesome. This is just critique on the EDITING
portion of the video. Not the footage. We all know the footage rocked hard. This is about the editing.
I'm sure only Regis will be the only one truly interested. So if you see me saying 'you' I am of course referring to Regis. I will be doing this quite a lot.
I have in my possession 2000+ Anime Music Videos. Thus I have seen my fair share of superb editors, down to the mediocre. I know when a video has been edited cleanly and when it has been butchered. So I am here now to give my personal critique upon the editing style for the 2.0 Trailer.
Gonna try to keep this as coherant and as well layed out as humanly possible.
1.) It seemed like there were a few seperate videos all spliced into the one file. To make things just a little simpler I shall devide up the video into several sections.
From the 00 to the 15 second mark we have the NS 2.0 Logo and the Chaos Films Logo Intro.
From the 15 to the 33 second mark we have Spinny Window Thingy (From I can only assume Veil)
From the 33 to the 53 second mark we have Map Fly-bys with Techno Audio.
From the 53 to the 59 second mark we have Map Name Text Fly-bys.
From the 59 to the 1:06 second mark we have the Gameplay Footage Part 1
From the 1:06 to the 1:10 second mark we have the Just Got Better Text
From the 1:10 to the 3:16 second mark we have Gameplay Footage Part 2
From the 3:16 to the 3:21 second mark we have the Are You Ready Text
So now let's analyse each section shall we?NS 2.0 Logo and the Chaos Films Logo Intro:
A few seconds of black and then some slight film grain and just a HINT
of Spinny Window (Not spinning) then we cross-fade the NS 2.0 Logo, lookin' all mighty fine with it's sexy eye self. Some more grain and flickering then the next thing on-screen is the words 'Produced by Chaos Films', 3 things here
A.) The words 'Produced by' I personally felt wasn't necessary. It was stated in the credits.
B.) Regis. Do yourself a favour and get a proper logo to use in your films. It increases the professionalism no end.
C.) (If your going to continue using this style) The spacing and text size just feels off. 'Produced by' should be about 1/3 to 1/4 of the size the Chaos Films text. It should also rest just slightly above the Chaos Films text and not at the distance it is now.
Around here I started to assume this would be the style of the Trailer, lot's of film grain/flickering goodness (And I shall refer to it from here on in as the Film Grain Style).... and then all of a sudden we get...Spinny Window Thingy
The window that was hinted at during the opening seconds of the Trailer makes a comeback. It pans in from the right and then starts spinning faster and faster while ominous sounds echo in the background. What in the blue HELL. Spinny Window Thingy made absolutely no sense... And I mean NO sense. It seems to scream at me "Weeeee I'm a spinning window! Look at my spin! " Yes, you DO spin Mr.Window and we are not amused.
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD! WHY A SPINNING WINDOW?! ;_;
More spinning, musics leads up to a boom and we get...Map Fly-bys with Techno Audio
This is simply the BEST section of the trailer and I'll simply refer to it as the Techno Style. So much could have been done with this style! But you didn't >_<
Two things of note in this section
A.) Awesome song selection.
B.) Extremely smart camera fly-bys. No vertical movement, just nice side to side and back to front movements.
These 2 elements combine to create this superb editing style which I would have killed for you to use instead of the Film Grain Style. The only odd thing is that the resource tower wasn't animating.... Anyways onto....Map Name Text Fly-bys
We go from the Techno Style back to Film Grain Style with a THIRD audio track! WHAT ARE YOU DOING TO ME? I'll reserve my overall critique about this for later in the piece...
But I digress; in this section you start up on a very sensible road of giving off some text that contains information pretaining to the new features of 2.0. Then you steer off that road and crash into a tree by only ever doing this once. Ok new maps, but what about the other alterations that were made?! More information needs to be given out, otherwise people are going to assume the only thing different in 2.0 is 4 new maps. If I was a casual gamer who was only very mildly interested in NS and I saw this my only impression of 2.0 would be "Whoop-de-f*****g-do. New maps."
Keep up the information, or don't use it.Gameplay Footage Part 1
This section only contain half a second of in-game action and then you cut back to fly-bys style sans slowness and cool techno track. Cool shots, NEXT.Just Got Better Text
OK, it got better. How did it get better? Features? Remember the Map Text Fly-by section? This should have come before it and then have that section followed with MORE info instead of the one piece of info you actually had. Nothing else to say, Film Grain Style continues.Gameplay Footage Part 2
Rawr, in-game footage and plenty of it. This is what we all came to see. Get your rocks on. Clean-cuts are the order of the day. My one and only beef is that you contained footage with people typing.
DO NOT EVER DO THIS
Text is not necessary in a trailer. It is distracting and VERY unprofessional. Not only that, but the sections you chose to use contained people making spelling errors and correcting themselves *looks at Flayra* Are You Ready Text
The end of the trailer. You stop using the Film Grain Style and go for plain white text. Are you Ready comes up followed by the NS.org url. The proper Natural Selection logo should have been shown above or before the NS.org url. It just didn't seem like a fitting end to the trailer that's all.Final Analysis
Let me start off by saying that I liked the trailer. It contained several sections that really really made me smile and want to play it, that said your editing style is all over the joint. Let's quickly list off the things that really ticked me off
- Nowhere in this trailer was the release date mentioned. Seriously bad oversight
- The trailer was fought between Film Grain Style, Techno Style and Plain White Text Style. Next time, choose one style and STICK with it. The constant shifting of styles confused me.
- People typing = bad
- Spinny Window Thingy makes me a saddddddddd PandaYou talk big, but how do you improve it
This is how I would have played the trailer out.
- Lose the grain. We're keeping the techno style.
- Keep the intro. Get a new logo and drop the 'Produced by'. Flash to the next section
- Lose Spinny window thingy.
- Keep the map fly-bys intro and find a song that starts off slow like this and then develops a beat right around where this section left off in the trailer (53 sec mark) You have to edit to the music, don't let the music become secondary.
- Have a white flash (1/4 sec. Not prolonged) and NOW have 'The Best HL Mod just got better' text. Use a nice white techno-y font on a blue/dark blue background. Don't flash back in. Use a nice clean cut. I recommend that the text be typed out on screen very quickly. Think DOS prompt typing out, but the text is centered in the middle of the screen.... *shuts up before he gets confusing*
- Now keep switching between 20 seconds of gameplay footage (Minus text ;p) and then do another white flash section with some text. When you show off the maps have it flash out to 'Four new maps' and then clean cut to 5 seconds of each map and have 1 second fly-bys showing off the cooler parts of each map. In the bottom left corner have the map names be typed up like you do in the flashed out sections.
- End the trailer with whatever catchphrase you like, then show the release date, then have the official NS logo, and underneath fade in the NS.org url.
That is how I would have made the trailer better.
Hope this helps you out.
GOD I NEED SOME SLEEP >_<