"When the Xbox launched, Halo was touted as the best game ever in many circles, and still gains heaps of praise to this day. Sony plans to steal a bit of that spotlight with their upcoming "Halo-killer", titled Kin, which is also known as Kill Zone.
Kin is being developed by the Lost Boys, a group out of the Netherlands, and here is what we know so far:
- the game will include multiplayer co-op online play, as well as various other 16 player modes.
- voice communication will be supported via the PS2's headset.
- the game runs at a constant 60 FPS
and is said to be the best-looking PS2 title yet, even better than Gran Turismo 4 (?!).
- the control scheme will be similar to Halo. Imitiation is the sincerest form of flattery!
- streaming technology will be used to eliminate load times,
ala Jak & Daxter.
- the "kill zone" term refers to a gameplay dynamic which would slow a player's targeting, giving them a slight advantage over other players.... is this first-person bullet-time? It's not known if this feature will be included in the final game as of yet.
- the game is rumored to use the Havok physics engine
found in Half-Life 2.
- the game's soundtrack will be performs by a symphony orchestra.
- the targeted release date is sometime in Fall 2004.
So, is it a Halo-killer? More importantly, is it going to be a Halo 2-killer? We can't say for sure, but when we know more, you'll know more. Stay tuned.
Source: PSX Nation"
Looks to be one hell of a game.