How Do You Make Part Of A Model Transparent?

therougeknighttherougeknight Join Date: 2002-11-03 Member: 6379Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Can It be done?</div> I need to know if you can make part of a .mdl file transparent. I'd like something similar to a glass effect.

Comments

• JaegerJaeger Join Date: 2002-11-28 Member: 10202Members
    Nope, HL doesn't support alpha layers in textures, so transparency effects are impossible.

Counter-Strike: Condition Zero will have transparency effects availiable, but seeing as how it's stand alone, I doubt NS will ever port over to it.
  • therougeknighttherougeknight Join Date: 2002-11-03 Member: 6379Members
    Hey, thanks for the quick reply
  • greyfox5greyfox5 Join Date: 2002-02-14 Member: 217Members
    Hey buddy, when you cloak or hit the alien flashlight, your teeth model or other models become transparent....
  • JaegerJaeger Join Date: 2002-11-28 Member: 10202Members
    But that's the entire model though. If you want to do a glass effect, like a helmet or a visor (think Starcraft marine), then you'd need to have a skinmesh for the helmet, with an overlay alpha channel. Half-Life can't do that, and doing a full transparency is hardcoded into the rendermode.

That's the only reason stuff like the hologram globe in Hera, or the Kharaa flashlight effect works at all. I just hope there will be some way to incorporate alpha layers and .pngs into the base HL engine when CS:CZ is released =/
  • PlatoonPlatoon Join Date: 2003-02-25 Member: 13969Members
    I have a scientist model with transparent glasses for Half Life. It's a PS2 conversion...
  • RotA_PlagueRotA_Plague Join Date: 2002-11-03 Member: 6768Members
    If VALVe keeps to its word(Mostlikely will), next release of HL will have alpha textures so that will be possible. Personally, I am excited.
  • PlatoonPlatoon Join Date: 2003-02-25 Member: 13969Members
    In Deathmatch Classic they will use it byself, there is an invisible mode (with transparent Models)
  • HavannaHavanna Join Date: 2002-12-24 Member: 11510Members
    So would it be possible to make an ENTIRE marine rifle transparent? Both completely and semi-transparent? Not at the same time, I'm asking whether both are possible at one time or another. I have a large model and sometimes I get paranoid I can't see skulks coming from my right.
  • t_t_sMiLet_t_sMiLe Join Date: 2003-03-18 Member: 14671Members
    I know it can be done because the new COMM chair that AVP made has transparent parts so just ask him, i'm sure he'll help
  • DelarosaDelarosa Naturally Custom Join Date: 2002-11-29 Member: 10214Members, NS1 Playtester
    <!--QuoteBegin--t( *_^ t ) sMiLe+Mar 27 2003, 01:08 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (t( *_^ t ) sMiLe @ Mar 27 2003, 01:08 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> I know it can be done because the new COMM chair that AVP made has transparent parts so just ask him, i'm sure he'll help <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    you sure about that, we've got engine specs that say no to transparencys (and modelers that know enough to say that it doesn't exist)
  • t_t_sMiLet_t_sMiLe Join Date: 2003-03-18 Member: 14671Members
    try out the new comm chair he mades, it's perfected with a whole new formation and it works
  • blue2kblue2k Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 4025Members
    to have transparancy on a model, the game's engine must support 24 bit textures (.tga etc) hl uses an 8 bit pallette, so right now its impossible (although i have seen it done in a hl mod , not released called megaman x, omega the FA coder made it) there are no transparent model parts in any hl model availavle yet (not counting condition zero of course) but you can "fake" transparency if you skin/model it carefully, think about it.