How Do You Make Part Of A Model Transparent?

therougeknighttherougeknight Join Date: 2002-11-03 Member: 6379Posts: 106Members
Can It be done?
I need to know if you can make part of a .mdl file transparent. I'd like something similar to a glass effect.

Comments

• JaegerJaeger Join Date: 2002-11-28 Member: 10202Posts: 839Members
    Nope, HL doesn't support alpha layers in textures, so transparency effects are impossible.

Counter-Strike: Condition Zero will have transparency effects availiable, but seeing as how it's stand alone, I doubt NS will ever port over to it.
    user posted image
    [HCFM] T2K NSA ORT
    I am NOT Jaeger (or Jager) of TW fame
  • therougeknighttherougeknight Join Date: 2002-11-03 Member: 6379Posts: 106Members
  • greyfox5greyfox5 Join Date: 2002-02-14 Member: 217Posts: 526Members
    Hey buddy, when you cloak or hit the alien flashlight, your teeth model or other models become transparent....
    user posted image
  • JaegerJaeger Join Date: 2002-11-28 Member: 10202Posts: 839Members
    But that's the entire model though. If you want to do a glass effect, like a helmet or a visor (think Starcraft marine), then you'd need to have a skinmesh for the helmet, with an overlay alpha channel. Half-Life can't do that, and doing a full transparency is hardcoded into the rendermode.

That's the only reason stuff like the hologram globe in Hera, or the Kharaa flashlight effect works at all. I just hope there will be some way to incorporate alpha layers and .pngs into the base HL engine when CS:CZ is released =/
    user posted image
    [HCFM] T2K NSA ORT
    I am NOT Jaeger (or Jager) of TW fame
  • PlatoonPlatoon Join Date: 2003-02-25 Member: 13969Posts: 85Members
    I have a scientist model with transparent glasses for Half Life. It's a PS2 conversion...
  • RotA_PlagueRotA_Plague Join Date: 2002-11-03 Member: 6768Posts: 227Members
    If VALVe keeps to its word(Mostlikely will), next release of HL will have alpha textures so that will be possible. Personally, I am excited.
    Ingame name: Vash|Pants!
    Prefered race: Aliens

user posted image
  • PlatoonPlatoon Join Date: 2003-02-25 Member: 13969Posts: 85Members
    In Deathmatch Classic they will use it byself, there is an invisible mode (with transparent Models)
  • HavannaHavanna Join Date: 2002-12-24 Member: 11510Posts: 63Members
    So would it be possible to make an ENTIRE marine rifle transparent? Both completely and semi-transparent? Not at the same time, I'm asking whether both are possible at one time or another. I have a large model and sometimes I get paranoid I can't see skulks coming from my right.
  • t_t_sMiLet_t_sMiLe Join Date: 2003-03-18 Member: 14671Posts: 184Members
    I know it can be done because the new COMM chair that AVP made has transparent parts so just ask him, i'm sure he'll help
    Just Smile
    user posted image
    Pwnage.net
    RedElder Mapping Team
    iLan Gaming
  • DelarosaDelarosa Naturally Custom Join Date: 2002-11-29 Member: 10214Posts: 4,759Members, NS1 Playtester
    QUOTE (t( *_^ t ) sMiLe @ Mar 27 2003, 01:08 AM)
    I know it can be done because the new COMM chair that AVP made has transparent parts so just ask him, i'm sure he'll help

you sure about that, we've got engine specs that say no to transparencys (and modelers that know enough to say that it doesn't exist)
    NS Custom models, might just be back...
  • t_t_sMiLet_t_sMiLe Join Date: 2003-03-18 Member: 14671Posts: 184Members
    try out the new comm chair he mades, it's perfected with a whole new formation and it works
    Just Smile
    user posted image
    Pwnage.net
    RedElder Mapping Team
    iLan Gaming
  • blue2kblue2k Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 4025Posts: 473Members
    to have transparancy on a model, the game's engine must support 24 bit textures (.tga etc) hl uses an 8 bit pallette, so right now its impossible (although i have seen it done in a hl mod , not released called megaman x, omega the FA coder made it) there are no transparent model parts in any hl model availavle yet (not counting condition zero of course) but you can "fake" transparency if you skin/model it carefully, think about it.