I think most everyone can agree that after a certain point in every game, there is very little that the losing team can do to win. It is either sit around and wait to die, or make vain suicide rushes; this is especially true for marines. It makes the endgame very frustrating and boring. To resolve this, I propose that both teams be given some kind of last ditch objective they can try for to still salvage a victory. Here are some ideas:
- A self destruct objective. There could be a point on the map very far away from the spawn where you have to bring some kind of activator from the opposite side of the map to start a self destruct sequence. The marine carrying the activator could be slow or unable to attack or some other handicap requiring much support from his teammates. The self destruct could possibly only kill the aliens to make it feel more like a victory.
- An objective that would temporarily give the marines some kind of special weapons or abilities that gave them a chance against 3rd hive aliens and abilities.
- A satellite "neutron bomb" strike, gas poisionous to all alien organisms, or nanite based attack that would completely eliminate all alien structures in a hive location.
- A hive sacrifice that would sacrifice the last hive in exchange for a "bloodlust" ala Warcraft that would a rush realistic against heavy fortifications as well as giving the aliens no other option but to rush.
- A "sprawl" attack in the hive locations. All the hives have the organic matter in them, perhaps at a cost of 100+ resources 1 or 2 gorges couls induce it to destroy all marine structures in or near the hive. After having used so many resources it would be a long time before they could save for a hive again.
Notes: All objectives would probably only become available very late in the game, keyed to how many hives the winning team controls, how much resources they have, how many nodes they have, or how much territory they control. They would always be difficult/expensive to achieve and counterable by the enemy team. The idea would be to give the losing team something to try for and something to keep the winning team on their toes and not get lazy like they always do. Also, each map could have their own last-ditch objectives, they dont always have to be the same.
Please instead of criticizing my ideas, make your own suggestions for making the endgame more interesting. Personally, I think a last ditch objective would be very fun.