Subnautica Fan Game

Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
I posted about this already in the war thread, but should really post it in it's own thread....

I have made a little Subnautica fan game based very loosely on risk.

The main differences from risk are:

You only start with one biome and you have to work to the enemy biome.
You spawn one diplomat per turn on your home bime and earn more diplomats that you can place based on the number of territories you own. If you own a whole set (Kelp Forest, Thermal Vent etc) you get 1 bonus unit per turn that spawns on each biome of the set.

This is basically a prototype, and only comes in English I'm afraid. Also only runs on Windows 64bit. The game may be a bit wonky at times, but if you find you can't do anything, press cancel move, and see if that let's you continue. The text gives some advice on what to do next etc, but things may not be that clear. If you like risk type games, perservere and you'll work it out. It's really not that difficult. White buttons means you can't press, buttons the same color as the territory are selectable.

Have fun and post any issues etc here. I won't be doing much more to the game, but I will try and fix any issues that people are having. Oh, and to exit the game, just press the 'Escape' key.

I invented a simple story to keep in theme with Subnautica non-violence, so instead of sending out armies, you are sending out diplomats to encourage the territories to unite against the warpers. For the purpose of this game the warpers are brainwashing the territories, and you are setting out to reverse their actions. It's inspired by the subnautica politics and wars being played out on the forums.

Here are some screenshots:
IntroScreen_zpsxpx72zs5.png

screen1_zps5g9bdil8.png

screen2_zpsa5pr9kbw.png

screen3_zps1hj9zjbc.png

winscreen_zpsbfqhhm7p.png

Computer player is represented by the warpers, You are the sea emporers.

and here is the link to the download:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3puhr349hlatg1s/Subnauty.zip?dl=0

Comments

• JamezorgJamezorg United Kingdom Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216788Members
    Like I said on the war thread, it would be great to have a little menu for this.

The game closes after every match, so it would be good.

Also perhaps a mode where it switches between Warper and Emperor, so I could play this with others at the same computer? Perhaps, if you could, have that as a separate mode on said menu?

Yea, played this for a good hour now :)
  • Crewman87Crewman87 Join Date: 2016-12-14 Member: 224967Members
    Haha I was bored and considering making a webGL fan game. Never came up with the concept but I get bored sometimes. Neat though.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    @Jamezorg - I wasn't planning to do too much more work to this, as I am currently working on a game which really extends off this concept.

The new project does support upto 6 players playing on the same machine, so once I have finished figuring out the AI and Player turn management in the new game, it should be fairly easy to backport it over to this game, and i'll add the menu at the same time.

Hopefully I'll be able to make the AI a bit smarter when I do that as well.
  • Crewman87Crewman87 Join Date: 2016-12-14 Member: 224967Members
    Keep it up! What language are you using out of curiosity?
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    I'm doing this in C# using Unity.

Feel free to post any comments, suggestions or questions about anything to do with the project etc, as I'm more than willing to discuss game dev stuff :)
    @Jamezorg - I was banging my head against the wall trying to implement the multiplayer turn manager in my new game, so decided today to have a look at implementing it in this game first.

Turns out, the headache was being caused because I need to completely redesign turnmanager to fit multiple human players, which for a turn based game is pretty core stuff.

Consequently, I will now start working on rewriting the turn manager code at the weekend, and if all goes well, I'll have a new version with shared screen multiplayer support and a menu fairly soon.
  • Calarand77Calarand77 lurking in general forums Join Date: 2016-01-22 Member: 211786Members
    Cool stuff! I used to love playing Risk, will be nice to refresh the memories with a bit of Subnautican twist. Thank you for sharing.
    edited February 2017
    Please don't go expecting too much, it's a simple prototype, and the AI isn't exactly the smartest :D

But if you can get over that, it can be fun. It's also not exactly risk rules, but hey :)