Fish Efficiency: A Guide to Choosing What to Put in Aquariums (Now with egg-laying creatures!)

cy4ncy4n The Kingdom of Reginald Join Date: 2016-09-14 Member: 222316Members
DOWNLOAD LINK WORKS NOW ;)

Now, if you've gathered as much quartz as I have, you're always looking for ways to get rid of it and have to go find some more. So why not spend it on the most essential of all items: fish tanks!
These invaluable containers let you hold lots of fish to look at. And you can eat them too!

But I couldn't be satisfied with just any fish. No, I wanted the best fish! The kind that would restore the most hunger! The kind that would give the most energy in a Bioreactor! (Not that I would do such a thing, of course. It's just important to have the information.) The kind that would be the easiest to catch two of!

And so, I created a spreadsheet for determining which fish is best based on a variety of stats, including:
  • Food
  • H₂O
  • Energy (Not that I would chop up adorable little fish for use in a Bioreactor, of course)
  • Catchability
  • Rarity
  • Biome
  • And, finally, quotes from the game on the taste and nutritional value of the fish.

But that's not all! The Fish-Efficiency chart also includes the stats on a full selection of food or resource-producing plants, both above and below water, as well as an all new chart on other egg-laying creatures!
So what are you waiting for? Download today!

2c2x0HZ.png?1

Comments

• HormanHorman Germany Join Date: 2016-03-16 Member: 214292Members
    Hmm... Error 404 - Not found... :neutral:
  • Darwin-EvolutionDarwin-Evolution France Join Date: 2015-06-07 Member: 205310Members
    It's also a good idea to breed crash fish. Not for food, but as ammunition for the propultion cannon, just in case.
  • HormanHorman Germany Join Date: 2016-03-16 Member: 214292Members
    It's also a good idea to breed crash fish. Not for food, but as ammunition for the propultion cannon, just in case.

So it doesn't harm the integrety of your base?
  • cy4ncy4n The Kingdom of Reginald Join Date: 2016-09-14 Member: 222316Members
    @Horman @Darwin-Evolution sorry everyone! I broke the download link. :| The new link is up and running.
  • TenebrousNovaTenebrousNova England Join Date: 2015-12-23 Member: 210206Members
    Horman wrote: »

So it doesn't harm the integrety of your base?

Nope, captive bred crash fish are docile. When released they'll swim off somewhere, not sure if they will attack anything.
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    If you put Two of any species in an Alien Containment Tank, they will be fruitful and multiply.

The larger the Tank the more the creatures will spawn.
    B)
  • FrustratedFrustrated Join Date: 2016-11-04 Member: 223643Members
    DaveyNY wrote: »
    If you put Two of any species in an Alien Containment Tank, they will be fruitful and multiply.

B)

I remember the day I found this out, I was nearly crying with joyful relief after spending all my time trying to catch fish to eat in the safe shallows, when they were nearly all gone.

Seems to me recently the breeding rate has decreased though? Seems to take longer for baby ones to appear.
    It depends, the larger the tank the more and faster they breed.

Of course the Egg-laying ones take the longest, but the Peepers and Bladderfish breed the fastest.

B)
  • RequiemfangRequiemfang Join Date: 2015-02-22 Member: 201492Members
    Frustrated wrote: »
    DaveyNY wrote: »

B)

I remember the day I found this out, I was nearly crying with joyful relief after spending all my time trying to catch fish to eat in the safe shallows, when they were nearly all gone.

Seems to me recently the breeding rate has decreased though? Seems to take longer for baby ones to appear.

God I remember that... devs of course fixed that issue and now allow new creatures to spawn into the game if they're killed or eaten.
    edited February 2017
    I don't farm with egg laying ones, I just have reginalds, bladder ones for emergency water and eye eyes for a quick snack with no water loss. Once I'd been on the wiki and found out that reginalds are the best for food I made it my first serious mission to get some!
  • FathomFathom Earth Join Date: 2016-07-01 Member: 219405Members
    Only good fish is the Hoverfish and maybe Hoopfish. Occulus is good when you salt it to get the sulfur out. The rest are just different shades of yuck.
    Fathom wrote: »
    Only good fish is the Hoverfish and maybe Hoopfish. Occulus is good when you salt it to get the sulfur out. The rest are just different shades of yuck.

howso? explain pls!
  • RalijRalij US Join Date: 2016-05-20 Member: 217092Members
    Fathom wrote: »

I dunno, I find the floral flavor of the garryfish to be intriguing at the very least.
    edited February 2017
    Is now a good time to suggest a lovely Oaked Chardonnay to accompany your seafood meal?

B)
  • 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
    Now I feel so stupid :s:/:o:D
  • cy4ncy4n The Kingdom of Reginald Join Date: 2016-09-14 Member: 222316Members
    edited February 2017
    UPDATE Now with all egg-laying creatures, including the Crashfish (as suggested by @Darwin-Evolution )
    So what are you waiting for? Download today!
  • Crewman87Crewman87 Join Date: 2016-12-14 Member: 224967Members
    Neat stuff. However now I am hungry for fish.
  • zetachronzetachron Germany Join Date: 2014-11-14 Member: 199655Members
    edited February 2017
    Most fish are just for the eye. I think the transfusing was thought to make the fish more useful, but never got in so far.

The big food and energy fish is certainly the reginald. Putting in a few of them in a tank they will breed until you are stuffed. I usually use them cured as long range food provision replacements for the limited nutrient bars.

The bladderfish of course has to be turned into water. But the big water bottles from the filtration machines are far better.

And for the rest I usually have marblemelons at my base. The most practical food and water replacement at all.

The main problem is that the diversity is only optical because they are reduced to 2 (food+water) numbers. And only the best wins.

Suggestion:
    The devs should allow biomaterial extraction from fish and plants, so each fish and plant could be a unique source for something.

EDIT:
    The scanner should not only provide danger information for each species, but also water and food level and maybe the bioresources that could be extracted.