Our prayers have been answered! (creature behavior/research)

Comments

• subnauticambriansubnauticambrian U.S. Join Date: 2016-01-19 Member: 211679Members
    edited January 2017
    wowwink wrote: »
    Here @subnauticanbrin I got this off the internet.
    t9b7015596pn.jpg

That's the one I've seen, which was the initial reason I thought they latched onto stuff. However, upon closer inspection of the picture, it doesn't looks like any of the bleeders (except for maybe the one closest to the stalker's second spine) are actually attached to the stalker in the way they can attach to the player... You know, where they actually grab on and suck blood.
    Avimimus wrote: »
    It could have already been dead - I've seen them scavenging.

I think you're right here, bleeders (as well as biters) appear to have been updated so that they scavenge more efficiently- they actually go after dead animals and dispose of corpses.
  • wowwinkwowwink Merica Join Date: 2016-12-05 Member: 224596Members

Same here
    t9b7015596pn.jpg

That's the one I've seen, which was the initial reason I thought they latched onto stuff. However, upon closer inspection of the picture, it doesn't looks like any of the bleeders (except for maybe the one closest to the stalker's second spine) are actually attached to the stalker in the way they can attach to the player... You know, where they actually grab on and suck blood.

I think you're right here, bleeders (as well as biters) appear to have been updated so that they scavenge more efficiently- they actually go after dead animals and dispose of corpses.

They don't lach on to things, they chase things and eat them
  • RequiemfangRequiemfang Join Date: 2015-02-22 Member: 201492Members
    Don't know if this goes here but apparently eggs hatch in the wild now. Took this picture a moment ago while going from my temp safe shallows base to my main blood kelp and saw the size difference between a normal stalker and this smaller and apparently a baby stalker.

t62dbdb4q1if.jpg

Was quite surprised to see this. Didn't know eggs could hatch in the wild.
  • subnauticambriansubnauticambrian U.S. Join Date: 2016-01-19 Member: 211679Members
    edited January 2017
    Don't know if this goes here but apparently eggs hatch in the wild now. Took this picture a moment ago while going from my temp safe shallows base to my main blood kelp and saw the size difference between a normal stalker and this smaller and apparently a baby stalker.
    t62dbdb4q1if.jpg

Duly noted! I was noticing that some stalkers in my video seemed to be of smaller size than some others, as well. Are you playing in experimental or stable? We should confirm that eggs can hatch though- I'll try to record some footage of eggs hatching. Otherwise, it could just be that some stalkers are smaller than others (which would accurately depict creature-to-creature size variation in the wild). Additionally, if creatures can now hatch from eggs, hopefully fully grown creatures can lay eggs (otherwise soon all the eggs would be depleted).
    t9b7015596pn.jpg

They don't lach on to things, they chase things and eat them

Well, that should totally be a thing! I would love to see bleeders latch onto other animals similarly to how they latch on to the player, it would fit the environment well, I think... Dear devs, if you haven't coded that into the game yet, I'd love it to be a feature!
    Experimental is what I'm playing.
    edited January 2017

Ok son but I've seen them on xbox
    edited January 2017

Ok, good to know! I'm still in stable.
    edited January 2017
    I have nothing but this
    Seriously wowwink stop spamming the thread with things not related to the thread.
    Seriously wowwink stop spamming the thread with things not related to the thread.

Ok

Ok

And could you please put your above image in a spoiler, I don't want to have to scroll past that every time I visit this thread.

Ok

And could you please put your above image in a spoiler, I don't want to have to scroll past that every time I visit this thread.

Done
  • WheeljackWheeljack Chilling in the Grand Reef Join Date: 2016-03-17 Member: 214338Members
    t62dbdb4q1if.jpg

Duly noted! I was noticing that some stalkers in my video seemed to be of smaller size than some others, as well. Are you playing in experimental or stable? We should confirm that eggs can hatch though- I'll try to record some footage of eggs hatching. Otherwise, it could just be that some stalkers are smaller than others (which would accurately depict creature-to-creature size variation in the wild). Additionally, if creatures can now hatch from eggs, hopefully fully grown creatures can lay eggs (otherwise soon all the eggs would be depleted).

I'm pretty sure that's just simple creature variation. I remember a few months back it came up and there were a lot of happy people because of it.
    edited January 2017
    Wheeljack wrote: »
    t62dbdb4q1if.jpg

I'm pretty sure that's just simple creature variation. I remember a few months back it came up and there were a lot of happy people because of it.

Good to know- if anyone wants to watch eggs in the Subnautican wilds to see if they hatch, just to confirm, feel free! (I might not have the time in the next week)
    Wheeljack wrote: »
    t62dbdb4q1if.jpg

Good to know- if anyone wants to watch eggs in the Subnautican wilds to see if they hatch, just to confirm, feel free! (I might not have the time in the next week)

Quick question, do spawned eggs hatch.
  • AppalaxisAppalaxis South Africa Join Date: 2017-01-03 Member: 226025Members
    Don't they normally target the closest victim with the most HP?
    Appalaxis wrote: »

What are you talking about
    Appalaxis wrote: »

I have found no way as of yet to register HP on creatures- but here's what I've observed:

Small predators can perform a "bite" on other creatures of the same size or larger- this "bite" produces a small cloud of blood and provokes the creature bitten- if the creature bitten is larger, it may turn on the smaller predator and try to bite it, if the creature bitten is smaller, then it will try to swim away. If bitten enough times, the creature will die. If bitten enough times, larger predators will flee.

There is also the action of "eating," this is when a large predator attacks a smaller one and entirely consumes it. "eating" happens in the same way as biting, but the targeted creature will vanish entirely in a large cloud of blood. Predators like sandsharks and stalkers and mesmers, etc.. can eat small fish, and big predators like reapers can actually eat smaller predators.
    Have you abandoned this thread

For the second time, no. Research takes time, and I'm a mere human being with responsibilities and work!
    Episode 7: Reaper Leviathan

For the 7th episode I decided to do my first (and hopefully not last) observation on a leviathan-class organism. I was really excited at the prospect of studying reapers, as they can prey on anything they please- I had never seen a reaper prey on another predator, like a sandshark, before. Needless to say, I was looking forward to seeing exactly what a reaper leviathan did in the wild. For the observation I headed out into the dunes, right about the border between the sea treader's path and the dunes. Here's my usual notes:

1. The reapers mainly swim around in tight loops, deviating from their paths every once in a while to chase down prey. (on the development side) I can see how this behavior would be necessary when coding a leviathan-class animal, as otherwise reapers could wander a bit too far shallow-ward and/or clip through the ground unnecessarily. (on the naturalist side) This behavior also helps reinforce the idea that reapers are highly solitary animals with specific territories (hence the "patrol" like behavior).
    2. Reapers go after just about anything in their natural habitat, though they pose a sort of "crabsquid problem" when hunting. The 1-bite KO that we all know and love is noticeably absent from reaper's hunting behavior. You can see in the video the reaper goes to bite a sandshark, and uses its mandibles, but throughout the video you only see these mandibles used in slashing attacks. I would very much appreciate the reaper using its mandibles as it uses them on seamoths/players, to hold prey while it is guided to the mouth. It would certainly seem very odd that a reaper performs this behavior only in reaction to humans, at least.
    3. Yes, reapers still clip through the ground. Quite badly, in fact. I think the video ends after I lose track of the reaper in the "dunes" part of the dunes. (well, it ends after I lost track of the reaper, forget how to work the freecam, and then accidentally speed up everything in the world by 4). Let's all just ignore that nationalistically until it gets sorted out...

Other than that, the usual lag warning (sorry @EnglishInfidel, I didn't follow your instructions), and the reapers are incredibly cool to observe in their natural habitat.

Pt. 2: Reaper Leviathan Predation Study

Well, I said I was interested in their predatory behavior, didn't I? I've got two videos for you here of reaper leviathans fighting/eating various things, so here's some notes:

Video 1:
    In this video I experiment with reapers attacking sandsharks, stalkers, and sea treaders (that last one b/c of stuff going on in this thread). The reapers attack the stalkers and sandsharks pretty much like every other creature in subnautica, and are attacked back in return sometimes! By "attack like every other creature," I mean the non-lethal, cloud-of-blood bite. Which seems odd, considering the reapers could easily swallow those animals whole, but maybe they like to play with their food.

1. I spawn in the sea treader late into the video, and the reaper does not attack it. As per this thread I mentioned 5 lines earlier, it would be really cool for the reapers to prey on the sea treaders (seeing as they do live in relatively close proximity, as well as the other reasons stated in the thread).
    2. I spawn in a second reaper after the first goes "Dirt AWOL," but it turns out the first reaper decides to come back after he's been replaced. However, this does present a fine opportunity to view reaper-to-reaper dynamics. As solitary animals, one would expect them to be hostile to each other, however the two appear to collaborate at first when hunting. It turns out I was not to be disappointed, however, for at 4:50, 5:30, and 6:55, it looks like they bite each other.

Video 1:

Video 2:
    I had heard reapers were able to eat large predators like, well, fish n' chips, so I decided to record until this happened: I got the following footage. There are a few things to note, though as always you watchers might catch something I don't.

1. The reaper, around 2:41, eats a rock grub (I think). Not terribly important, but it struck me as comical.
    2. Just about at 4:00 exact, a shuttlebug meets its untimely end. Important because the corpse sticks around, the reaper doesn't eat it (idk why)
    3. Finally, right about the end of the video, a reaper eats a stalker whole. There's nothing too flashy, just the usual cloud of blood, and the stalker dissapears. It's alright, but dear devs: I would recommend making that cloud of blood larger, because right now it looks like the stalker has as much blood in it as a spadefish. Additionally, the reaper could make use of its mandibles and perform a little "eating ____(<-- prey)" animation, where it grabs the prey with its mandibles and shoves it into its mouth.

Video 2:

Oh, and here's a few pictures I took over the course of the outing (maybe consider them outtakes/side notes?):
    6l9cdi6cpbq0.jpg
    found this egg in the grassy plateaus, I tried hatching it but nothing happened. Future content maybe?

istfwfjvuvv4.jpg
    I also found this weird white stuff all over the walls in a grassy plateaus biome

gosusbvgyhey.jpg
    I had forgotten exactly how big the reaper was...

Dear everyone: I was very tired when writing episode 7, so please feel free to call out any spelling, grammar, or logic mistakes I have made. I will now proceed to fall asleep on the keyboadddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd
  • JamezorgJamezorg United Kingdom Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216788Members
    Oh dear, I've missed a few episodes...

Anyway, in response to your Crabsquid episode, I made a discovery. When creating the Battle for Cache 3, I found out Crabsquid really, REALLY don't like ILZ creatures. I'll make a video and put it up here for you.

Okay, so that turned into something that really wasn't an observation of Crabsquids, but you get my point, they're a lot more aggressive in my game than yours...

Funny...

Also, Lava Lizards attack Lava Larva, which i find a bit weird...

Jamezorg wrote: »
    Oh dear, I've missed a few episodes...

Anyway, in response to your Crabsquid episode, I made a discovery. When creating the Battle for Cache 3, I found out Crabsquid really, REALLY don't like ILZ creatures. I'll make a video and put it up here for you.
    Okay, so that turned into something that really wasn't an observation of Crabsquids, but you get my point, they're a lot more aggressive in my game than yours...

Funny...

Also, Lava Lizards attack Lava Larva, which i find a bit weird...

Alright, that was very awesome! It would make sense that Lava lizards attack the larvae, though, seeing as that's one of their natural prey items. Additionally, that's really weird that crabsquids were so aggressive to everything... I guess they're really aggressive to all creatures except the ones they encounter on a regular basis. The thing with the reefbacks was... weird. Although it was pretty cool to get a look at the underside of them- it looks like they use those tubes primarily for locomotion, which would go contrary to their data entry/wiki page. The lava lizards look pretty interesting as well, maybe I'll do an observation of those next. Oh, and one more thing...
    WHAT IN THE NAME OF ALL THAT IS HOLY IS THIS MONSTROSITY???
    pc0vr1uqjdne.jpg

For the second time, no. Research takes time, and I'm a mere human being with responsibilities and work!
    Ok
    Oh, and I think we finally have a conclusive answer to this mystery:
    t62dbdb4q1if.jpg

I think that eggs still don't hatch in the wild, and what you saw was creature size variation. The reasoning behind this being, if you watch the reaper videos, I spawn in a large group of stalkers. When they spawn in, some are larger than others, leading me to believe the second hypothesis of creature variation is more accurate.
    Oh, and I think we finally have a conclusive answer to this mystery:
    t62dbdb4q1if.jpg

I think that eggs still don't hatch in the wild, and what you saw was creature size variation. The reasoning behind this being, if you watch the reaper videos, I spawn in a large group of stalkers. When they spawn in, some are larger than others, leading me to believe the second hypothesis of creature variation is more accurate.

I think you're right, makes sense I guess, still it would be cool if creature eggs hatched in the wild as a way to repopulating a biome if it ever got devoid of it's natural creatures. Granted some creatures just respawn like most of the fish without eggs.
    Episode 8: Rock Puncher

What can I say? The video speaks for itself...

Video: