Giant Worm Biome

Mr_RIPPERMr_RIPPER Join Date: 2016-12-28 Member: 225610Members
Imagine a huge worm-like creature permanently attached to the bottom of deep ocean. It would be lethal to big creatures and vehicles (incl. Cyclops), while smaller objects could enter its mouth and continue to internal system, consisting of:
1. Throat area consists of large sharp teeth for tearing swolen creatures apart.
2. Stomach area would be dangerous biome filled with strong metal dissolving acid, which would require new type of coating upgrades for vehicles or special dive suit for player to prevent environmental damage. There would be bones, carcass and biomass of creatures being digested.
3. Reproductive part is where eggs are layed and incubated. Some small offsprings would roam this area. There would be rare valuable reward at the end of the worm to reward player taking the risk to enter.

After irritating or damaging the worm internal organs, it could vomit content of its stomach back to sea.
I think it would be sweet addition to unused static locations.
I also made quick draft in MS paint. :D

0flXdiB.png

Comments

• JamezorgJamezorg United Kingdom Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216788Members
    Can u go out da butt
  • Mr_EndarMr_Endar Join Date: 2016-03-05 Member: 213859Members
    edited December 2016
    Cool idea, but I liked old concept with Cyclops entangled by some sea weed more :(
    latest?cb=20150906230343
    This game has too many deadly creatures already.
  • smellslikebleachsmellslikebleach Join Date: 2016-12-22 Member: 225337Members
    Nice Idea - I'm In. But how do you prevent demage to you diving suit / submarine according to the metal dissolving acid?
    How do you get out of this thing?
  • JamezorgJamezorg United Kingdom Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216788Members
    Nice Idea - I'm In. But how do you prevent demage to you diving suit / submarine according to the metal dissolving acid?

Prevent damage by using a fan to blow away all the acids. Then you can swim through.

Out da butt
  • Mr_RIPPERMr_RIPPER Join Date: 2016-12-28 Member: 225610Members
    But how do you prevent demage to you diving suit / submarine according to the metal dissolving acid?
    I already wrote it:
    Mr_RIPPER wrote: »
    which would require new type of coating upgrades for vehicles or special dive suit for player to prevent environmental damage.

Same way you enter i guess.
  • RezcaRezca United States Join Date: 2016-04-28 Member: 216078Members
    To be honest I've always found the idea of a giant creature serving as its own dungeon/biome/etc to be oddly fascinating - like the Purple Worm encounter in DnD Online, or the Leviathan "dungeon" in Final Fantasy 2, the Flood levels in Halo 3 (Which isn't really the same thing but it invoked a similar feeling), the Worm secret level in Spelunky...

It'd be strangely interesting sure, but I strongly doubt it'd ever happen :(
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited December 2016
    I dunno why, but I'm reminded by that one DBZ episode we shall never speak of
  • smellslikebleachsmellslikebleach Join Date: 2016-12-22 Member: 225337Members
    Or a mixture of Star Wars sand burrower and the book of Jonah.
  • subnauticambriansubnauticambrian U.S. Join Date: 2016-01-19 Member: 211679Members
    It would probably be more efficient to have the acid function identically or similarly to the brine in the lost river.
    Jamezorg wrote: »
    Can u go out da butt

A species of worm called Ottoia lived in U-shaped burrows, and functioned very similarly to this proposed creature. The worm could have a secondary opening on the seafloor for "waste disposal." When you think about it, it makes sense. Since the worms aren't going to be moving (they're ambush predators) they need some way to dispose of their waste. A U-shaped burrow makes sense.

pic of Ottoia in its natural habitat, as reconstructed by paleontologists:
    wrxv74peia4u.jpg
  • CAPSHAWCAPSHAW Nevada Join Date: 2016-09-29 Member: 222692Members
    The idea of a giant worm biome sounds awesome, especially in the stomach area where we can see 'zombie fish'. I think that you should only be able to get through with a seaglide and knife, though
  • subnauticambriansubnauticambrian U.S. Join Date: 2016-01-19 Member: 211679Members
    CAPSHAW wrote: »
    The idea of a giant worm biome sounds awesome, especially in the stomach area where we can see 'zombie fish'. I think that you should only be able to get through with a seaglide and knife, though

maybe a seamoth...?
    Rezca wrote: »
    To be honest I've always found the idea of a giant creature serving as its own dungeon/biome/etc to be oddly fascinating - like the Purple Worm encounter in DnD Online, or the Leviathan "dungeon" in Final Fantasy 2, the Flood levels in Halo 3 (Which isn't really the same thing but it invoked a similar feeling), the Worm secret level in Spelunky...

It'd be strangely interesting sure, but I strongly doubt it'd ever happen :(

Or the leviathan boss in Borderlands 2- the pirate DLC.
    It would probably be more efficient to have the acid function identically or similarly to the brine in the lost river.
    Jamezorg wrote: »
    Can u go out da butt

A species of worm called Ottoia lived in U-shaped burrows, and functioned very similarly to this proposed creature. The worm could have a secondary opening on the seafloor for "waste disposal." When you think about it, it makes sense. Since the worms aren't going to be moving (they're ambush predators) they need some way to dispose of their waste. A U-shaped burrow makes sense.

pic of Ottoia in its natural habitat, as reconstructed by paleontologists:
    wrxv74peia4u.jpg

I like that depiction there, and I could see this potential 'mini-biome' replacing the ILZ Dunes entrance that got filled in. The tunnel's already carved out, would just need to smooth it a bit, re-puprose some of the LR Ribcage bones into teeth and some of the plants into fleshy growths, create a fleshy sort of texture for the interior surfaces, and for the stomach area they could just adjust the superhot water damage effect to reflect acidic fluid.

Since no new biomes are gonna be added before 1.0, I'd hope this is something they'd consider post-launch or even as DLC later on. It's something strange and unusual, and I like that. It really would be cool to see them consider it.
    CAPSHAW wrote: »

Seamoth/prawn at most, the Cyclops shouldn't be able to fit into the entrances. I think that as a sort of 'living biome' the proposed giant creature wouldn't and shouldn't be treated as a traditional fauna. That is, you can't "kill" the creature no matter what you try doing to it, nor can it kill you directly. It just more or less sits there, perhaps having a suction effect should you stray above its mouth that would pull you in if out in the open. Your seamoth could escape the pull, but otherwise you'd be sucked inside and swallowed. If the creature is styled after what @subnauticambrian pointed out, you'd need to go out the 'back door' to leave if you got pulled in without your sub. Either that or wait to perish via drowning or the damaging interior or whatever fauna may be present.

You wouldn't be able to damage it from inside perhaps. Maybe ramming its innards or trying to drill-arm them would cause the fleshy surfaces to quiver a bit or something, but it shouldn't be thought of as just another hostile fauna like the leviathans. It's a biome of its own, so its another location to explore and loot.
  • TenebrousNovaTenebrousNova England Join Date: 2015-12-23 Member: 210206Members
    edited December 2016

Wow, looks like there's a plethora of video games where being eaten by a giant creature serves as level design or gimmick- I remember one arcade game, The Ocean Hunter, where you had to fight one of the bosses from the inside out.
    edited December 2016

Ah yes, Jabu Jabu. A classic and I think along with Final Fantasy II's Leviahan, is what sparked my interest in unorthodox dungeon design. I mean there's thousands of "Ancient temples full of undead" and etc, but a giant living creature? Don't see that every day.

Wow, looks like there's a plethora of video games where being eaten by a giant creature serves as level design or gimmick- I remember one arcade game, The Ocean Hunter, where you had to fight one of the bosses from the inside out.

A few others off the top of my head... There was some worm thing in one of the Gears of Wars games, there was a minigame that took place in a dinosaur's stomach in Banjo Tooie..... It's weird yeah xD
    I think it'd be interesting to see Subnautica have a level like this. A small'ish one, compared to the other biomes... Like a mini-biome... But it'd be interesting to see how SA handles it. Plus if it was a stationary "biome" sort of creature, it wouldn't even need AI or major animations.
  • Julian1337331nailuJJulian1337331nailuJ The Grand Reef Gubtorial Election Or Something. Join Date: 2016-11-12 Member: 223824Members
    There Is A Fetish. I Count It As My "Secret" But It Was Never A Secret. Just Guess Its Name.
    There Is A Fetish. I Count It As My "Secret" But It Was Never A Secret. Just Guess Its Name.

It's a secret but not a secret...? So why guess if it's not a secret then? xD

Still think this giant creature would be a fun idea for a future content addition after full release has come out.
    It would be nice to see some reaper skeletons at the bottom if this ever did get implimented
    edited December 2016
    It would be nice to see some reaper skeletons at the bottom if this ever did get implimented

Them reapers getting some karma.

Still got my fingers crossed they at least consider something like this. These sorts of 'environments' aren't exactly what you'd consider to be mainstream, and I like that. It might not even take as long to flesh out and design as a full scale biome like the Grand Reef, ILZ, or Lost River either. Less surface space to go over.

Also, I completely forgot about that one stage in the Trine 2 expansion that took place in the insides of a giant worm

Something like this might be fun to design. It'd be different.
    It might not even take as long to flesh out and design as a full scale biome

See what you did there...
    B)
  • Julian1337331nailuJJulian1337331nailuJ The Grand Reef Gubtorial Election Or Something. Join Date: 2016-11-12 Member: 223824Members
    That Probably Was Not A Pun.
    edited December 2016

B)
    That Probably Was Not A Pun.

I wasn't intending it as a pun but as I was writing it I noticed how punny it'd end up being so I just kept it like that :relaxed:
    Fleshing out a fleshy biome... xD

I still think it'd make a nice replacement for the now sealed up Dunes ILZ entrance, and implementing this would mean teeechnically the "sandworm" test model would remain a part of the world; though not as an active fauna but its own little biome. I could see you walking along the Dunes in your Prawn collecting resources and you see this pit... And you take a peek over the edge.... And you see that it's actually a living creature. Same with the Seamoth or Cyclops; traveling over it and seeing this unusual thing at the bottom of the seafloor.

At that point you'd probably end up turning around. Unless you're morbidly curious or fell in by accident.

B)

At that point you'd probably end up turning around. Unless you're morbidly curious or fell in by accident.

There could always be something that pulls people in, the gentle suction idea or the tentacles originally in the picture... Although leaving it open only for the morbidly curious would be a nice touch too. Have an entire biome that only real explorers would find.
    edited December 2016

B)

There could always be something that pulls people in, the gentle suction idea or the tentacles originally in the picture... Although leaving it open only for the morbidly curious would be a nice touch too. Have an entire biome that only real explorers would find.

I think that a current that pull you in would be best, and easier to implement.

Out in the open - Pulls you in with moderate force. If you've already passed close enough, you'll be unable to escape and swallowed.
    Out in the open with Seaglide/Powerglide - If you're right at the cusp of its maw or already in its throat, you'll have difficulty resisting the current. Unless there's a 'backdoor' too, then you should be able to slowly pull yourself out with one of these.
    Seamoth/Prawn - It'll slowly pull you towards its mouth if you aren't moving or are AFK, but it's easy to move away. You can enter/leave the beast just fine with these.
    Cyclops - Unaffected, too large to enter the worm anyway.

The suction might not be strong enough to snare you unless you're swooping in to take a closer look, and that's when you get pulled in. Of course if the creature-biome is based off the IRL animal pointed out above, then you could always enter/exit through the secondary entrance.

Overall, the main thing that would bring you inside the creature would be curiosity. Which is also likely how it gets most of its meals - critters getting too close out of curiosity then being swallowed. Inside its belly, maybe you could also find assorted resources from the surrounding area that fell in one way or another over the period of its life, along with assorted debris and skeletal remains (That we already have, so nothing new would need to be modeled!)
    edited December 2016

B)

Out in the open - Pulls you in with moderate force. If you've already passed close enough, you'll be unable to escape and swallowed.
    Out in the open with Seaglide/Powerglide - If you're right at the cusp of its maw or already in its throat, you'll have difficulty resisting the current. Unless there's a 'backdoor' too, then you should be able to slowly pull yourself out with one of these.
    Seamoth/Prawn - It'll slowly pull you towards its mouth if you aren't moving or are AFK, but it's easy to move away. You can enter/leave the beast just fine with these.

The suction might not be strong enough to snare you unless you're swooping in to take a closer look, and that's when you get pulled in. Of course if the creature-biome is based off the IRL animal pointed out above, then you could always enter/exit through the secondary entrance.

Overall, the main thing that would bring you inside the creature would be curiosity. Which is also likely how it gets most of its meals - critters getting too close out of curiosity then being swallowed. Inside its belly, maybe you could also find assorted resources from the surrounding area that fell in one way or another over the period of its life, along with assorted debris and skeletal remains (That we already have, so nothing new would need to be modeled!)

Resource chunks with 100% silver drop chance.
    'nuff said
    edited December 2016

B)

'nuff said

There's a ton of silver in the Dunes, so it'd make sense to find some inside this thing.

Fingers crossed the devs at the very least consider this biome/creature, more variety and all that xD

B)

'nuff said

There's a ton of silver in the Dunes, so it'd make sense to find some inside this thing.

Fingers crossed the devs at the very least consider this biome/creature, more variety and all that xD

I think it would be a hilarious jab at the everyone's silver woes to have there be a high risk/reward silver depot deep in the dunes. If you're brave enough, you can get enough silver to last you into the endgame! :D

B)

'nuff said

I think it would be a hilarious jab at the everyone's silver woes to have there be a high risk/reward silver depot deep in the dunes. If you're brave enough, you can get enough silver to last you into the endgame! :D

The Dunes itself is already a high-risk area, though I've noticed quite a drastic drop in anxiety when going in there with the Prawn suit. The reapers almost entirely ignore you, and the biggest threat amusingly enough is the Warpers while you're drilling for Silver.

• EternalGolemEternalGolem Join Date: 2016-11-04 Member: 223650Members
    Possible story implications: precursors have discovered the worm. Sent a sub into it for inspection. Sub stopped responding. This precursor sub contains an upgrade for any vehicle: -75% damage and +60% depth.
    Precursorso set up pylons for warnings and research.
    My own drawing:
    http://imgur.com/hr5rG8N