LR and ILZ entrances too linear? (spoilers?)

RezcaRezca United States Join Date: 2016-04-28 Member: 216078Members
People have been talking about how progression in the game feels too linear due to how fragments and such are/were located, but looking at the Lost River and Inactive Lava Zones, things feel pretty linear there too.

The original LR draft showed it snaking out across the map, having entrances in multiple areas like the Mushroom Forest(s) and the northeastern Mountains. Currently, this has been reduced to just the Deep Grand Reef and the Blood Kelp Islands. I think that the NE Mountains would have benefited from a LR entrance since there's not much reason to stray beyond the island, and the Mushroom Forests would have been cool too.

One thing that I felt when I first played Subnautica, was the intrigue of seeing a deep area I couldn't reach. The Blood Kelp Trench, the Grand Reef, the giant pit at the front of Aurora... These invoked a sense of mystery and awe in my mind, and I felt equal measures of fear of them and the desire to see what was down there. If you were speeding through the Mushroom Forests, a relatively easy place to access, and then saw this tunnel or great pit suddenly open up, wouldn't you want to know what was down there? Then you finally manage to take a look, and it just goes deeper and deeper, a change in atmosphere to something ominous and eerie, and it just keeps going down.

The ILZ entrances are starting to feel the same way, where you used to have multiple paths down there, I'm concerned they're going to be sealed up one by one. The Dunes entrance - which IMO was the one reason you'd want to visit that forsaken wasteland - was recently sealed up. The entrance beneath the Aurora is still barren and I'm worried it'll be removed soon. For a while, the Biome Map in the SA directory showed a small ILZ entrance in one of the Mushroom Forests. I never actually managed to find it even when it was still showing on that map, so I can't really confirm if it was an entrance that was also sealed up or if it was even there to begin with.

What do you think? Would these biomes be 'ruined' by having multiple entrances to them, or are they better off having but a few? I somehow felt that the Mushroom Forest would have actually suited the LR, because of the organic theme of both biomes, the NE Mountains would have given you a reason to visit it or serve as an exit point from exploring the LR, and the great pit opening up into the ILZ within the Dunes just seemed intimidating somehow yet gave me a reason to brave the place. The LR entrance in the Mushroom Forest being moved north a bit to the BK Islands is fine, but I still wonder how a Mushroom Forest entrance would have felt...

Comments

• MrRoarkeMrRoarke Join Date: 2016-05-16 Member: 216830Members
    edited December 2016
    I haven't gotten to the Lost River in this latest stable release, but in the last release, there were multiple new entrances, in addition to the blood kelp and blood kelp 2 entrances, into the lost river system. Did they remove them?

I know less about the inactive lava zone because I have spent very little time there.
  • RezcaRezca United States Join Date: 2016-04-28 Member: 216078Members
    edited December 2016
    MrRoarke wrote: »
    I haven't gotten to the Lost River in this latest stable release, but in the last release, there were multiple new entrances, in addition to the blood kelp and blood kelp 2 entrances, into the lost river system. Did they remove them?

I know less about the inactive lava zone because I have spent very little time there.

I just went down there using pipes alone earlier xD
    But yes, there's three LR entrances right now - one in the Blood Kelp Trench, one in the Deep Grand Reef, and one in the Blood Kelp Islands. I'm assuming the planned Mushroom Forest one got relocated to the northern BKZ at some point, but now there's really no need to have a Mushroom Forest entrance since they'd be too close together - and I'm guessing that's why, or part of why, the entrance got put further north instead. All three entrances would have been too close together.

The ILZ currently has the Deep Grand Reef and Lost River as entrances, with the Crash Zone being a potential third. It's there but it's undeveloped and might be cut later, making the only entrances to it being through cavernous ones. It might be possible that they don't want any surface entrances to it hence the Dunes entrance being sealed up, but there was that map showing the CZ entrance stating there'd be an entrance there. Then again, they also planned on there being a LR entrance in the NE Mountains, so anything's subject to change.

• Morph_GuyMorph_Guy Join Date: 2016-04-21 Member: 216034Members
    edited January 2017
    Looks like they're going to be removing the connection between the Grand Reef and Lost River too. https://trello.com/c/18YUOoM7/6056-add-new-skeleton-to-lost-river-canyon

Update: Cory gives the reasoning as to why they're removing it on discord:
    18VtNsG.png
    BpvdfiI.png
  • TurielDTurielD Netherlands Join Date: 2017-01-05 Member: 226185Members
    I've got about 30 hours in this game now, and I haven't found either of the mentioned zones... then again I also had a lot of trouble finding an entrance to the pink mushroom zone, and only knew to look for it and its base because of a streamer.

Am I missing some kind of directions to find these places, or is random exploration supposed to result naturally finding them? Because as it is, I would barely know these locations exist and so the fewer entrances the less the chance I'd ever find them - would prefer more entrances in that case...

So far, with my exploration 'style' - that being very cautious - I tend to leave a beacon at the exploration area entrance and head back there with a full inventory. Leaving at a different location may happen, but it's unlikely to stop me going back for more... harvesting. But, if there's nothing interesting there to harvest, I may not come back for a long time.
    edited January 2017
    >We're making a game about exploring deep sea caves to find alien technologies
    >but we're going to make all of our caves linear with 1 entrance and 1 exit

Are you out of your goddamn minds?

We need MORE entrances!
    MORE expansive cave systems!
    Branching tunnels with splits, dead ends, intersections!

Just because "youtube Streamers" (Which have to have progress in their video series' to keep them interesting and the view counts up) take the short, easy road to progressing doesn't mean that has to be the ONLY road available.

Hell it's not like you're just leaving out content that has yet to be implemented, but you're actively REMOVING content just because a popular youtuber doesn't go exploring the whole damn ocean.

I rarely ever go to the Sea Treader Path. Is that going to be removed?
    how about the vast chunks of Mountains and Dunes biomes that I have no reason to explore? Are you gonna remove those?
    Actually the part about youtubers was Cory replying to someone saying that removing the DGR/LR entrance was a bad idea because he rarely ever saw youtubers find the Lost River.
  • DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    edited January 2017
    Hmm, I'm starting to be confuzzled by "most people I've seen find it going through the ghost trees". Yeah... that's the only entrance left fit for a Cyclops! Your odds of finding that one are relatively high because it's a big hole out in the open and accessible no matter what vehicle you approach it with. Closing off all alternative Cyclops entrances and then using the one remaining such entrance to argue for the removal of the small ones is a reasonable example of the workings of the proverbial slippery slope.

My first time going into the LR/LZ biomes was through the DGR with the PRAWN. I've also spent sessions looking for other entrances (being very disappointed that canyon in the Koosh Zone is not one; it would've given my bridge base the extra cachet). The only one I found was the hole beneath the Aurora and that one, as I learned the hard way, was unfinished.
    We need MORE entrances!
    MORE expansive cave systems!
    Branching tunnels with splits, dead ends, intersections!

For what it's worth, the DGR entrance will be removed, but not the tunnel, thus forming a dead end. I don't recall very strongly what was said on Discord, but I believe the intent is for there to be a skeleton and possibly something else too. I reckon a teleporter or cache.
  • ResolutionBlazeResolutionBlaze The Dunes Join Date: 2016-04-06 Member: 215392Members
    You have to remember that the biomes have to be set up in a very particular way in order to help keep the story cohesive and comprehensive and balance the game.

If liner entrances are necessary so be it.

If this game had no story we wouldn't need this discussion.
  • AvimimusAvimimus Join Date: 2016-03-28 Member: 214968Members
    edited January 2017
    I found it to be really easy to find - but I just hugged the bottom and followed it downwards. It was ILZ (prior to Lost River) that I found really hard to get into. Of course, it provided a nice challenge and the story based beacons tell you where to look (deeper).

Anyway - One neat approach might be to have most of the openings be too small for the seamoth to fit through!
    edited January 2017
    Looks like they might actually be keeping the DGR entrance and adding a new one in the BKZ.
    https://trello.com/c/DiDyNMcW/6113-lost-river-canyon-new-route-skeleton-area-lab-cache-polish
    ADhKI2r.png
  • Darwin-EvolutionDarwin-Evolution France Join Date: 2015-06-07 Member: 205310Members
    Morph_Guy wrote: »
    Looks like they might actually be keeping the DGR entrance and adding a new one in the BKZ.
    https://trello.com/c/DiDyNMcW/6113-lost-river-canyon-new-route-skeleton-area-lab-cache-polish
    ADhKI2r.png

I'm confused, is that part the ghost canyon and the northern blood kelp zone on the top left?
  • subnauticambriansubnauticambrian U.S. Join Date: 2016-01-19 Member: 211679Members
    ADhKI2r.png

I'm confused, is that part the ghost canyon and the northern blood kelp zone on the top left?

Looks like the Ghost Canyon. I recognize it from my research travels, that's where I filmed parts of the crabsquid episode.
  • Darwin-EvolutionDarwin-Evolution France Join Date: 2015-06-07 Member: 205310Members
    So what's that blue part on the bottom right?
    So what's that blue part on the bottom right?

That's the DGR
    Ah, now I get it. So the BKZ will now have 2 entrances to it.
  • zetachronzetachron Germany Join Date: 2014-11-14 Member: 199655Members
    Considering that the game's roadmap wanted it finished August last year and things have to get done and not only dreams and wishes about more subs, multiplayer or new biomes should reign the discussions, I'm rather glad that the roadmap has shifted to reality and lots of things got cut for the sake of a game getting finished. Because otherwise the game would need till 2018/2019 to get released. For extensions there will be a time after 1.0. The original Lost River network was planned to be far reaching with lots of entrances. But we would then still see an unfinished Lost River now.

Another problem with all those entrances is the special way the difficulty of navigating the Cyclops down into the Lava Zone was set up. Too much entrances might leave an uncontrolled and much too big and easy route down to the Lava Zone. There is a reason why the Cyclops has no vertical tilt in navigation! Only a few entrances ensure that each of them will be a challenge for the Cyclops to get through.
    More updates from discord:
    9Z39x9W.png
    Official confirmation that the DGR's LR entrance is staying.

RKQgXiw.png
    ujhCdAL.png
    The DGR's ILZ entrance however will likely not be staying.

bYKSOhy.png
    w1jYOf3.png
    Unfortunately the Aurora's ILZ entrance will also be going.

gtXXr1f.png
    pg3RTkI.png

• DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    More updates from discord:
    9Z39x9W.png
    Official confirmation that the DGR's LR entrance is staying.

RKQgXiw.png
    ujhCdAL.png
    The DGR's ILZ entrance however will likely not be staying.

bYKSOhy.png
    w1jYOf3.png
    Unfortunately the Aurora's ILZ entrance will also be going.

gtXXr1f.png
    pg3RTkI.png

Props where props're due. I will miss the DGR's ILZ entrance for reasons of that whole "uniqueness of having a depth biome transition occur through a non-depth one" thing, but I understand the motives. The Aurora one I'll not really miss, but I hope we'll get something in return some day (another wreck?).
  • pie1055pie1055 Join Date: 2016-12-05 Member: 224603Members
    Should put a hole in the middle of the safe shallows that goes straight down to the ILZ. Is that depth-gated well enough?

Sarcasm aside, sad to hear parts of the map are going to be removed that have been there for a long time. Looks like they want to push players finding the LR before finding the ILZ. If that's the case maybe they should expand the LR to something more like that sketch they did early on with more entrances from the LR to ILZ.
    That's a blow. The Deep Grand Reef entrance to the Inactive Lava Zone was the first I discovered. My attempts to get as far down into the darkness as possible were eventually rewarded by the sullen glow of a river of molten rock leading ever further into the bowels of the planet. That place was so eerie back then when the Inactive Lava Zone wasn't lit and all you could see were the seamoth's headlights playing over the twisted, hardened lava as you ventured ever further into a dark labyrinth. It was an amazing discovery to me and until the Lost River came along, it was the only entrance I used.

Besides, that entrance in particular isn't something you'll just stumble on. You need to be actively exploring the Deep Grand Reef and I felt that an entrance was an excellent reward for it (Plus it makes sense to have it in a volcanic area like the Deep Grand Reef) Otherwise, there's no real reason to be down there apart from the Degasi Base since there's a more easily accessible Lost River entrance in the northern Blood Kelp Zone. There are great swathes of Mountain, Koosh and Dunes I've never explored because there's no incentive for it beyond scanning the native fauna and flora. Instead of removing these landmarks and cave systems, why not add more?

We need things to explore for the sake of exploration.

It's been a while since I first bought SA but I think the first entrance I found was the Aurora one. Or the Dunes entrance (RIP Dunes ILZ connection) Markiplier seemed to find the Dunes one first as well and then exited out of the DGR.

I liked the thought of the Aurora's crash revealing an entrance to a deep sea cave, I'd love to see it stay but I won't lose sleep over it being removed either. Maybe they could use it for something else, and yeah I agree that there should be more reason to visit these places. Story's good and all, but exploration for the beauty and wonder of it is just as good a reason to add things. Resources is another thing. The Northeastern Mountains are fairly interesting to explore - reapers aside - but there's.... Nothing really there. There's a LOT of uraninite crystals, but the only other resources of note are Magnetite - which have limited use - and Basalt Chunks for Diamond and Gold. Right now, those have very very limited use.

On the other hand, the 'common' resources like Quartz and Titanium are always in high demand for me. Surprisingly the Dunes has a good amount of titanium and even some silver, and the Blood Kelp has a good amount of quartz - perhaps too much quartz - but the Mountains... I'd say seed some Lime/Sand stone deposits around here and there as well, or put in some more pretty things to look at.

I was looking forward to a NE Mountains entrance to the Lost River, and liked the idea of a Mushroom Forest entrance into it... The organic theme of both made it seem like a natural connection, plus I always adored the idea of exploring in a relatively 'shallow' place and then seeing this hole or trench just descend into the abyssal depths leaving you with a sense of wonder as to what could be down there... But, with the Blood Kelp entrances being nearby there's no real reason for a MF entrance now, and a Mountains entrance would require carving a lot of new tunnels into the map, which isn't something I'd want to see them attempt until post-1.0 when they've got things settled enough that they can look towards expanding things.

• kingkumakingkuma cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress Join Date: 2015-09-25 Member: 208137Members
    Yeah - I've heard from multiple sources that the only entrance to the ILZ will be the one
    next to the cove tree
    , all the other ones will be removed. (this, in my opinion, is the best one , because you can knock out the SDF (secondary research facility) and the PTG (precursor thermal generator) all in one go. you can also grab enough food to last you FIVE ILZ expeditions in the sparse reef.
    kingkuma wrote: »
    Yeah - I've heard from multiple sources that the only entrance to the ILZ will be the one
    next to the cove tree
    , all the other ones will be removed. (this, in my opinion, is the best one , because you can knock out the SDF (secondary research facility) and the PTG (precursor thermal generator) all in one go. you can also grab enough food to last you FIVE ILZ expeditions in the sparse reef.

That would be unfortunate if true. They advertised the game as one to explore, they updated the wrecks and fragments to encourange flexible paths through the upgrade tree... Why, would at this point, they decide to make it fully linear? After you get the cyclops and exosuit, there's no more alternate paths, no more decision making, no more being rewarded for exploring. Just follow the path the game sets for you, through the LR and into the one single entrance to the ILZ.

It'd especially be unfrotunate since they put a lot of detail into the DGR entrance; if they do seal it up, they should put something else there instead of caving the whole thing in. They really should have kept the Dunes entrance, and the Aurora one? Just stick a Sea Dragon or two inside that corridor. Unless people had a prawn and the depth upgrades they wouldn't be able to follow it to the end anyway. I get that the LR is supposed to be important to the story, and that skipping by it would have a negative impact on that, but that should definitley not mean that it should be the only entrance into the ILZ.

edited February 2017
    The DGR entrance has already been sealed up in experimental.
    But as you can see on my previous post, they are thinking about adding another entrance somewhere else in the world.
    edited February 2017
    The DGR entrance has already been sealed up in experimental.
    But as you can see on my previous post, they are thinking about adding another entrance somewhere else in the world.

I've been playing on Stable only lately, so I never knew... That's a shame, especially when you consider the Twisty Bridges were potentially going to be relocated down there to transition from the DGR to the ILZ Corridor. Now what will happen to them?

I still strongly feel that a single entry point into the ILZ is a bad idea, since it goes against the whole exploration and freedom aspects the game has most everywhere else. Editing because I hit submit too soon; but there were these entrances:
    Northern Dunes
    Northern Crash Zone
    Lost River
    Deep Grand Reef.

Of these, the Dunes and DGR have been sealed up. The Aurora entrance is likely to be sealed up too. If they open up another entrance, where would it go? I'd suggest either keeping the Crash Zone entrance, re-opening the Dunes one, or carving one into the Northeastern Mountains. A Koosh Zone entrance could be looked into, since it seems to have a good amount of volcanic activity there already.

The latter two suggestions would require more work though, than keeping the Dunes/Crash Zone entrances which are already carved out. Besides which you have to go out of your way to find the Dunes one, and the Aurora most people don't seem to look down there anyway because of the terrifyingness of that abyss and the Reaper parked right above it.

Actually thinking about it... The Mountains might be a good place for it after all. How many people really go into the deepest reaches of that place, especially after they visit the Island? The Dunes and Mountains have been - from what I've seen - some of the least visited places in the game, while the Grand Reef and its depths tend to be a hotspot. Not only is the Floating Island there, but all the story-related stuff and easy access into the Lost River with the least amount of danger on your part compared to other entrances to it.

One of the reasons I liked the Crash Zone entrance... And the Dunes entrance... Was the forboding feeling of just seeing that bottomless abyss before you, and it just kept going deeper and deeper. Sure, it was surface-level access into the ILZ, but they weren't without risk either. You had to dodge reapers, and if they had kept those entrances, you could have had Sea Dragons in the corridors too. They eat reapers, and there's reapers right by those entrances. It'd have made sense. That would make the Lost River entrance technically more safe. It'd deter most players from wanting to shortcut to the ILZ by going through there, but the option would remain. And I'm all for seeing more of those cuties too~
  • DracobombaDracobomba Join Date: 2016-04-08 Member: 215502Members
    edited February 2017
    If I recall, at some point there was a small connection to the Lost river via the Blood Kelp trench. I was trying to take my cyclops out of the LR and ended getting it almost trapped in that crevice. Not sure if it's there anymore. I believe it was close to the Sea treader's path.
    There are actually two Lost River entrances in the Blood Kelp Trench as of build 44134 in experimental mode.