Anya and DITA: Legacy of the Precursors

04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
This fanfic takes place in a highly idealized, non-canon Crossover version of the Subnautica world and the Lost Planet world, and will not reflect in-game performance. Any and all similarities to real persons living or dead are purely coincidental. Also this is just some bullshit I did to flex my creative organs. Enjoy.

===========================================================================
Chapter 1: Welcome to Planet 4546B

The Draco II, a NEVEC colonization vessel, hovered high over the ocean world, dubbed "Planet 4546B". The cargo ship, loaded to the brim with advanced technologies, weapons, and advanced vehicles known as "Vital Suits", began preparations to land on the surface, and claim the world in the name of the Neo Venus Construction corporation.

The crew of the ship, some 120 personnel, busily hurried about their duties, an air of excited anticipation among the many engineers and colony workers. Having waited for several months, suspended in cryogenic stasis, many of them were just happy to stretch their legs and get out of the Freezer pods.

Anya Nikolaev, Senior Officer and lead VS Engineer, had awoken from her frosty slumber and headed straight to the Vital Suit hangar. Lounging in the cockpit of a GAN-3AM "Triseed", running diagnostics on the transforming mech's subsystems, Anya hummed a patriotic tune as she sipped her cup of warming Sunspring Tea. Lines of text rolled across the Vital Suit's screen, all systems optimal. Anya smiled, taking pride in her work. There was no other engineer on this ship that had such a knack for fixing and maintaining VSs as she did. Her comrades often called her the VS Whisperer, for her ability to find obscure mechanical issues and weed out programming errors.

Her self reflection was interrupted by a condescending voice from her wrist,
­ "You're not just gonna lay around in this VS all day are you?" Came the processed voice from her personal AI. "We're gonna be planetside in about an hour, you should get ready to disembark."

­ "Relax, DITA." Cooed the engineer. "This'll just take a few more minutes. Besides, better we have the VSs fully operational. Scans show the planet is mostly ocean, and I don't plan on swimming to work every day."

­ "Hey, the exercise would probably be good for you." Chided the AI.

­ "Don't make me download another virus on you." Retorted Anya. "Remember last time when you couldn't stop randomly yelling ads for Starship Insurance?"

­ "Hey, hey, no need to be hasty, I was just joking." Said the AI in an artificial panic. "Your ass totally still fits in your pants."

The witty banter was interrupted by a red line appearing on the VS diagnostic. Low Hydraulic pressure in the right ankle assembly. Anya leaned forward, her slightly snug space leather jumpsuit squeaking.

­ "I swear I fixed this yesterday." She said in slight disbelief. Anya hit the canopy release, opening the cockpit of the VS, hopping down onto the floor of the VS Hangar. 5 other Triseeds sat in their bays, all being worked on by other engineers. The Transforming VS selected specifically for this operation, their ability to transform between a bipedal walker, a bird-shaped VTOL craft, and a compact submersible would surely prove to be invaluable. Several racks of folded up GAF-14 "Fastrey" Grav-Bikes populated the far wall, and two GAB-25M Cakti sat near the hangar door, resting in Tank mode, their armor and drilling ability valuable in construction and mining. Hanging from the ceiling were 6 Osprey transport gunships, each capable of carrying large cargo containers which could double as personnel transports.

­ "Well, keep in mind..." Replied DITA "Yesterday for you was about 6 months ago."

­ "Aww, you almost sound like you missed me." Said Anya, as she examined the foot of her VS.

­ "Hardly. I was stuck to your sweaty wrist the whole time." Replied DITA. "How do you even sweat when cryogenically frozen?"

"Hush, I need to fix this." Anya undid the bolts on the leg armor of the VS, revealing the hydraulic fluid access tube. She lifted the tube, inserted the pressure guage, and grabbed the extending hose from the floor, connecting it to the valve, locking it in place. With the flip of a switch the limp hose became rigid as it instantly filled with hydraulic fluid, pumping into the leg of the VS. Within seconds the pressure guage went from red to green, and Anya shut off and disconnected the hose.

"There we go. Good as new." She replaced the armor and redid the bolts, sealing the heavy metal plating back onto the shin of the mech. She wiped her brow, as a message came over the ship's intercom.

"ATTENTION ALL PERSONNEL, 20 MINUTES TO ATMOSPHERIC ENTRY. ALL PERSONNEL REPORT TO LANDING CRAFT."

Anya exited the VS Hangar, heading into the Starboard corridor of the Draco II. The Landing Craft were all located on the underside of the vessel. Anya made her way to her bunk room on the way to her landing craft. The vertical door whooshed open into the small room. There was very little floor space in the compact room, a third of the room taken up by her bunk bed, and another third taken up by a work station on the opposite wall. A round porthole window on the wall opposite the door showed the beautiful blue marble of a planet below as they approached. Anya quickly gathered her belongings and packed them into the drawers under her mattress, keeping them safely stowed. She would be able to return to her bunk room once they landed. She slipped on her vest, and wrapped her HEV mask around her neck, the bulky padded neck guard doubling as an oxygen converter for when she was underwater. As she was stowing the last of her things, she came across a photograph. Anya, her husband Rorik, and her daughter Talia, whom she had left behind on E.D.N. III to undertake this mission. Her daughter, 3 years old when she left, would be 6 by the time she was able to return. Something Anya deeply regretted, but the ridiculous NEVEC pay would have them set for life afterwards, giving Talia a much more comfortable live than she had during the violent and difficult development of E.D.N. III.

Anya situated her butt in the seat of the Landing Craft, having arrived shortly before everyone else. The Landing Craft pilot was already situated, and starting up the vessel, prepping it for launch. She clutched her gear bag as she locked herself into her seat. The Landing Craft, attached to the Draco II by an umbilical docking tube, were small craft designed for transporting personnel to the surface, and were not armed or equipped with any sort of weapons or extensive life support.

"ATTENTION ALL PERSONNEL, ATMOSPHERIC ENTRY COMMENCING IN T-MINUS 5 MINUTES. ALL PERSONNEL REPORT TO LANDING CRAFT."

"Gonna be a little choppy." Said the veteran pilot, who had turned around looking at Anya's concerned face. "But there isn't a ship in this galaxy that I can't land safely!" He said, smiling.

Anya's reassured grin turned to horror, as a bright green light filled the cockpit window behind the pilot.

There was a deafening boom as the green light ripped through the hull of the Draco II. Screaming. More explosions. Frantic yelling by the pilot. The sound of the umbilical detaching from the Draco II. Muffled explosions, and another blinding green light. The Landing Craft jerked around as it was rocked by debris from the Draco II

"C'MON YOU BIG BITCH HOLD TOGETHER!" She could hear the pilot yelling between his cursing in Norwegian.

Anya just clutched her bag, saying her final prayers, sure that she was going to die, internally lamenting that she would never see her daughter, or her husband again.

Two more flashes of green light, and a thunderous explosion, followed by a violent impact on the landing craft, the impact knocking Anya unconscious.

3 Days Later...

"Anya!"
"Anya!"
"Anya wake up! I know you're alive, I can read your vitals!"

The engineer slowly opened her eyes. The twisted hulk of the landing craft split open, a small fire near the cockpit. Sunlight poured in through the hull breach. She could smell the salt of the ocean, and hear the waves lapping against whatever they landed on.

"Atta girl. One hell of a landing huh?" Came the voice from her wrist.

"DITA..." said Anya weakly. "W-what happened?"

"Well we were shot down by something." Said DITA. "Something unlike anything I have ever seen."

"What about the others?"

"They're..." Began DITA, pausing, which was uncharacteristic for most AI. "I'm sure there are some survivors."

"How long was I out?" Asked Anya, raising her head. A sharp pain woke her up further, as she rubbed the side of her skull, her hair crusted with dried blood. "Ugh..."

"About 3 days since we landed." said DITA. "I've been regulating your vitals via the Harmonizer. But you're running low on Thermal Energy. Its a good thing you woke up. A few more days and you would have run out."

"Thank you, DITA." Said Anya, finally getting her bearings, and undoing the restraints on the jump seat. She immediately fell sideways as she was released, the landing craft at an angle as it crashed into the ground. Regaining her balance, she looked around on the floor of the craft, spotting her bag up by the pilot's seat. The veteran pilot was dead, killed by the impact with where they landed. Anya could not bear to look, but said a short prayer regardless, thanking him for saving her life at the expense of his.

Anya climbed up out through the ripped open hull of the landing craft, several alien birds taking flight from their perch atop the twisted metal ship. She had to shield her eyes from the bright sunlight. For as far as the eye could see around her, there was nothing but ocean, clouds, and sky. The pilot had managed to land on one of the few landmasses for miles. A stroke of luck? Or a testament to the deceased pilot's skill and determination?

Anya dropped to the sand below, falling to her knees. She wanted to kiss the ground but decided against it. Scattered around the crash site was the wreckage and cargo of the landing craft. Thankfully, it appears as though a good amount of supplies survived. Anya could see plumes of smoke rising into the sky from the other side of a nearby rock. She climbed, slowly, her legs still stiff from her 3 day nap, to the top of the rock. From there, she would see the burnt out wreck of the Draco II, the massive ship partially sunken into the water, its stern and engines sticking high into the air, the hull twisted and bent into an unrecognizable hulk, flames still clearly visible, from even this far away.

It is clear that the colonization mission was now forfeit, and what was most important was Anya's survival. She had survived the crash. Now she was going to find a way back home.... somehow.

End Chapter 1

Holy SHIT this was a lot more than I thought it would be.
Whaddyathink? Wrote this in a few hours while I was waiting for a thing to render. Might continue it if I feel like it.
And for those curious, DITA stands for "Digital Interfaced Technical Assisstant"

Comments

• BugzapperBugzapper Australia Join Date: 2015-03-06 Member: 201744Members
    Nice work. Keep going!
  • Julian1337331nailuJJulian1337331nailuJ The Grand Reef Gubtorial Election Or Something. Join Date: 2016-11-12 Member: 223824Members
    Great Job! Wait. 3 Stories. All Similar. Possibly In The Same Timelines With This Certain One Being A Long Time In The Future But Possibly Still During My Story. Except Maybe When They Land They Find A Large Base (My Base In When This Takes Place) And Possibly Decide To Adventure It. While I Was Gone. Then They Get Caught By The Cameras. I Don't Know.
  • SkopeSkope Wouldn't you like to know ;) Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218212Members
    Dang, I was planning to write a story about Subnautica, guess you beat me to the punch. Anyways, it's pretty good so far. One question I have is, did they just land on the Floater Island, or just another landmass not present in the canon game?
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    Yet another promising piece of FanFic based on this game! Hopefully you'll have enough inspiration to get this trough! :smiley:
    Liked the beginning, keep going :smile:
  • CalvinTheDiverCalvinTheDiver A place Join Date: 2016-10-08 Member: 222971Members
    Great Job! Wait. 3 Stories. All Similar. Possibly In The Same Timelines With This Certain One Being A Long Time In The Future But Possibly Still During My Story. Except Maybe When They Land They Find A Large Base (My Base In When This Takes Place) And Possibly Decide To Adventure It. While I Was Gone. Then They Get Caught By The Cameras. I Don't Know.
    I'd Suggest Stop Trying To Tie Random Fanfics Into Your Stories. Also See How It Looks When I Type Like This? See How Annoying It Looks? Yeah That's How You Type. Me And Many Others Can't Even Look At It. And With Almost No Punctuation Too. Don't Accuse Me Of Copying You. I Was Demonstrating One Of The Reasons People Hate You. Is That What People Want? For People To Hate You? The Admins Could Ban You And Will If You Start Attacking People.
    tl;dr: Stop piggybacking now or the admins may punish you for spamming. Your account is newer than mine, and already has more posts from almost spamming threads. I can't even read your Chinese Aurora Falls bootleg completely original story without my eyes melting from caps.
  • HiSaZuLHiSaZuL N.Y. Join Date: 2016-11-11 Member: 223803Members
    @04Leonhardt very nice, good writing and you didn't just use pre-existing names. Keep it up.
  • TenebrousNovaTenebrousNova England Join Date: 2015-12-23 Member: 210206Members
    I really enjoyed reading this! I do like DITA's personality and informal way of speaking. Breaks the stereotype a bit.
  • phantomfinchphantomfinch West Philadelphia , born and raised on the playground is where I spent most of my days. Join Date: 2016-09-06 Member: 222128Members
    edited December 2016
    When your done with this I want an audio book with your sexy voice
  • 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
    edited December 2016
    Skope wrote: »
    Dang, I was planning to write a story about Subnautica, guess you beat me to the punch. Anyways, it's pretty good so far. One question I have is, did they just land on the Floater Island, or just another landmass not present in the canon game?

None of anything I will present in this will be canon. This takes place in an area of the ocean completely separate from the Quarantine Zone (The Subnautica in game map) the only real similarities will be the creatures, some of the biomes, and the Precursors themselves.
    The island she landed on is in a Safe Shallows Archipelago, which would be like if the Mountain and Floater Island had a baby that was raised by the Safe Shallows, a series of smaller islands surrounded by colorful shallows and reefs.
  • SkopeSkope Wouldn't you like to know ;) Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218212Members
    Skope wrote: »

None of anything I will present in this will be canon. This takes place in an area of the ocean completely separate from the Quarantine Zone (The Subnautica in game map) the only real similarities will be the creatures, some of the biomes, and the Precursors themselves.
    The island she landed on is in a Safe Shallows Archipelago, which would be like if the Mountain and Floater Island had a baby that was raised by the Safe Shallows, a series of smaller islands surrounded by colorful shallows and reefs.

Nice, going off the canon map and story. Stories like those always end up more interesting.
  • awesomeguy101awesomeguy101 Join Date: 2016-06-21 Member: 218886Members
  • Julian1337331nailuJJulian1337331nailuJ The Grand Reef Gubtorial Election Or Something. Join Date: 2016-11-12 Member: 223824Members
    So The Island They Landed On Is Like Hawaii? Also. My Story Is A Roleplay. Plus Its Not Like A Bootleg.
  • CalvinTheDiverCalvinTheDiver A place Join Date: 2016-10-08 Member: 222971Members
    It is a bit of a ripoff of Aurora Falls, honestly, and I believe many people agree.
  • 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
    It is a bit of a ripoff of Aurora Falls, honestly, and I believe many people agree.

You talkin about mine or his?
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Any story based in the universe of Subnautica, whilst the Precursor gun is active, is either going to be very, very short, and have a spectacularly bright ending, or have so much in common with other stories as to be considered a 'rip off' ... or, you know, based on the same plotline as the game we all play on this forum here. ;)

Judging from his disagree on @Julian1337331nailuJ's comment, I would guess he's talking about his.
    Mine Is Not A Rip Off. Its A Roleplay. Probably Not Even A Story Yet I Told Others That They Could Join. Its Kind Of A Story And Roleplay At The Same Time.
  • HiSaZuLHiSaZuL N.Y. Join Date: 2016-11-11 Member: 223803Members
    edited December 2016
    *snip* because it causes my brain and eyes physical pain
    No bub. What you have, is something most people won't or can't read. It lacks good writing, story, consistency, grammar, punctuation, thought and everything else in between. You tried to... I don't even know what you planned with your "story", maybe you just thought you could ride the cool train, but could you stop trying to weasel your way into work of other people?
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    Any story based in the universe of Subnautica, whilst the Precursor gun is active, is either going to be very, very short, and have a spectacularly bright ending, or have so much in common with other stories as to be considered a 'rip off' ... or, you know, based on the same plotline as the game we all play on this forum here. ;)

I'm pretty sure you'll be surprised at what I can do without going to space.
  • the_marinerthe_mariner US of A Join Date: 2016-12-29 Member: 225653Members
    I'm pretty sure you'll be surprised at what I can do without going to space.

Well, what are you waiting for, mate? This is a pretty good story so far, and we'd love to hear more! Keep writing!

His.