Troll people who have pirate copy's.

SnowballSniperSnowballSniper Join Date: 2016-12-02 Member: 224443Members
edited December 2016 in Ideas and Suggestions
I recently watch a top 10 developers who troll people who have pirated copy's, Subnautica should do the same.

When you wake up to your burning lifepod a text pops up that says "put out the fire" but the fire extinguisher is gone so there's no way to progress. If you managed to glitch out of the pod you will only find a white box.

If you manage to glitch out of the white box you will find nothing, but a black screen.

Comments

• SnowballSniperSnowballSniper Join Date: 2016-12-02 Member: 224443Members
    edited December 2016
    I got a better idea.
    You can put out the fire and your PDA works properly.

But you get a message that says. "PIRATES DETECTED: lifepod is now locked"
  • TheNuclearSoldierTheNuclearSoldier Mississippi, USA Join Date: 2016-12-09 Member: 224748Members
    I miss old troll elements to pirated games. But I understand they can be quite difficult to program.
  • FathomFathom Earth Join Date: 2016-07-01 Member: 219405Members
    Waste of resources. Pirates are not customers and should not be "rewarded" with exclusive content. Resources are better used to make a compelling game. That benefits actual customers and may even convince pirates to buy the game after they "tested" it.
    Even greater waste of resources is intrusive DRM, which exclusively bothers your customers while being a non-issue to pirates as they get the DRM patched out with the cracked version. Fucking pointless.
  • CAPSHAWCAPSHAW Nevada Join Date: 2016-09-29 Member: 222692Members
    -Make it play 'Holy Diver' every time there is a sound effect from a fabricator or an animal.

-After the fire is extinguished in the intro sequence, there is an explosion, the lifepod's model is replaced with a broken one, and a warper kills you. Message appears explaining the situation that the game is pirated, and restarts.

-Make the player die if he hits 150 Oxygen level. So if he has 175 from the tank, and dives deep, he has 25 seconds before he's done.

-Upon spawning in, the player never moves because he didn't survive the crash.

-Every time the player dies, the player is respawned 100,000 meters in the air.

-Reapers spawn by lifepod after 5 days

-Aurora keeps springing new radiation leaks.

-There is a radiation leak too high to fix.

-Multipurpose rooms are unscannable, or spring leaks twice a day.

-Solar panels work intermittently during the day.

-Metal salvage does not spawn in

-Island coordinates are a vector, not a point, so the player is constantly travelling south, but the island is not there.

-Repulsion cannon sucks objects towards the point aimed at.

-Mobile Vehicle bay just eats resources.

-Lockers empty themselves periodically.

-Game doesn't have a save mechanic.

• 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    I recently watch a top 10 developers who troll people who have pirated copy's, Subnautica should do the same.

When you wake up to your burning lifepod a text pops up that says "put out the fire" but the fire extinguisher is gone so there's no way to progress. If you managed to glitch out of the pod you will only find a white box.

If you manage to glitch out of the white box you will find nothing, but a black screen.

Naw, just have the extinguisher be at 0%. Or worse, 10% or whatever is half the minimum amount necessary to put out the fire.

But all of these methods involve DRM, or a way to detect pirates, which the pirates can easily circumvent, but honest victims (when the DRM glitches out) will have no such ease.
    edited December 2016
    Fathom wrote: »
    Waste of resources. Pirates are not customers and should not be "rewarded" with exclusive content. Resources are better used to make a compelling game. That benefits actual customers and may even convince pirates to buy the game after they "tested" it.
    Even greater waste of resources is intrusive DRM, which exclusively bothers your customers while being a non-issue to pirates as they get the DRM patched out with the cracked version. Fucking pointless.

You got downvoted, but I pirated Windows XP when I first got it. Wanna know why? The effing full version of XP that I bought with my hard-earned money glitched out (probably because of a BIOS mod I had to use to get my 120GB hard disk working correctly) and demanded activation. At. Every. Restart. And the automated activation only works for the first like 5 times. Then you have to call their manual activation line. And talk to a robot. For a minimum of 5 minutes.

I downloaded a cracked version of XP and never had that problem again. I also never installed a non-pirated version of Windows after that (although I did buy licenses) until Windows 10 (got free version from Insider Preview).

EDIT: This also spared me the disaster that was Vista. I pirated the RTM before release date, intending to buy the license after release. Ran like crap, although it was easily the most beautiful UI I have used before or since. I nuked the Vista partition and moved on. (Eventually found a way to make XP look 85% like Vista, too.)
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Hacking the hackers to hack the hack with a hack... How does this work?
    Kouji_San wrote: »

I'm not a dev so I don't know how it works, but I seen over 50 games that can detect pirate copy's.
  • 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
    Or just change the spawn point to start out in the Dunes.

The game would become playable then.
  • 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members

And?

And?

Your not suppose to progress with a pirated copy of the game.
    Fathom wrote: »

Your very aggressive against my idea to punish the people who get this product illegally.

That's Suspicious
  • Mr_EndarMr_Endar Join Date: 2016-03-05 Member: 213859Members
    Given enough effort pirated copy of anything is indistinguishable from original.
    You load the game with VS attached and then use either IDA or dig through raw disassembly.
    It is simply impossible to prevent people from doing that.

Online verification can not be cracked that way of course, but it makes paying customers far more annoyed.
    DRM nearly ruined Settlers 7: great game with awesome online potential, but with DRM protection so bad that it kicked out people with license on the regular basis. Heck it took about 10 minutes to connect for me on average, and sometimes it couldn't connect at all.

Now we have Steam and very few people pirate games anyway. No point, steam is much more convenient and have generous discounts every notable holiday or just for no reason.
    "When we were kids we played games without paying for them; no we pay for games but don't play them" (c)
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    The effort of these ideas is indeed good, but the only way to combat piracy is to offer more community support and a better experience, while achievements and Steamcards help that to some extent as well.
  • HectorroseHectorrose Join Date: 2016-10-16 Member: 223161Members
    just make unbearable lag by having te whole map try to load at once
  • subnauticambriansubnauticambrian U.S. Join Date: 2016-01-19 Member: 211679Members
    Kouji_San wrote: »

• JamezorgJamezorg United Kingdom Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216788Members
    Or just not let the pirates be able to craft anything, or pass 5m below sea level. Have no mercy, take your vengeance, restrict them like a cobra until they can be constricted no longer, and then they will buy the game...

If you build it, they will come... does that even work there?
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    If the devs want to mess up pirates, it can be done by making gameplay elements throw up problems. The trouble is, it means you also have to upload the software yourself to the torrent sites, and thats not always a good idea either:

http://www.greenheartgames.com/2013/04/29/what-happens-when-pirates-play-a-game-development-simulator-and-then-go-bankrupt-because-of-piracy/
  • EvilSmooEvilSmoo Join Date: 2008-02-16 Member: 63662Members
    You're all being WAY too unsubtle. When all the people who DL the torrent instantly find it unplayable, they'll stop seeding too soon.

It needs to be something subtle, not very noticeable, yet terrible. Like having all the subs constantly spring leaks after a few days, regardless of any damage or reinforcement. Or having resources just kind of die out in some way. Or having a key feature screw up in a very specific way (like the drunk-camera in one game I don't recall).

Or, have some end-game Precursor thing misfire in a certain way. Then, when the bug reports roll in, support can make fun of them.
    Just cap the resolution to 1024x768 or whatever the minimum resolution is, and include a note that says 'We understand some may not be able to afford this game, so we haven't disabled anything game-breaking, however, if you would like to enjoy Subnautica in a better resolution, please buy the game."

Or something similar. Microsoft doesn't even do much to pirates besides disable their desktop background and maybe kick you offline once in a while.