air lock

alfred2020alfred2020 Join Date: 2016-12-07 Member: 224682Members
bases should have airlocks on hatches

Comments

• DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    No one likes having to wait on getting in and out of bases.
  • alfred2020alfred2020 Join Date: 2016-12-07 Member: 224682Members
    it could be a realism option
  • 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
    "Muh realism" at the expense of gameplay is cancerous game design.

If anything, make it required to put a hatch on the underside of a compartment, otherwise it lets in a bunch of water whenever you go in or out.

This way, you can design your own airlocks using bulkheads, or use floor hatches to enter and exit quickly.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    That could be one of the main perks of the Moonpool -- quick base access.

For a quick airlock, you could have a mini-moonpool that you could construct on the bottom of a corridor.
  • 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    For a quick airlock, you could have a mini-moonpool that you could construct on the bottom of a corridor.

So basically just a hatch on the floor, like I said.

If you build it on the floor, the air above it would prevent water from getting in.

though it you build it on the side or end of a room/corridor, it would let water in, requiring your base to have to drain it.

You could make your own airlock by making a separate corridor blocked off by bulkheads so when the water gets in, it doesn't spread, or you could just deal with the bit of water whenever you go in and out.
  • subnauticambriansubnauticambrian U.S. Join Date: 2016-01-19 Member: 211679Members
    Or it could be a purely aesthetic thing and not decrease the time getting in and out of bases at all, the person would only see an extra layer of door when they looked at the airlock.

It would be problematic for hatches on corridors, so maybe (instead of that) a little "water spilling in" animation whenever you enter the base? You get in pretty fast, so there wouldn't be a ton of water spilled, but maybe just a little spurt of water when you enter the base that dries from the floor almost immediately.
    edited December 2016
    If we're talking realism, you'd need either a moonpool or proper airlock or you would never get the hatch closed after opening it (or you could never open it to begin with if it opened outwards).

At 32m deep, you're looking at 61 PSI / 422 kPa. source

EDIT: More info:

http://mythresults.com/episode72
    If we're talking realism, you'd need either a moonpool or proper airlock or you would never get the hatch closed after opening it (or you could never open it to begin with if it opened outwards).

It could have hydraulics assist you in opening and closing the doors.

At a water depth of 2 ft (0.6m) you're looking at 650 pounds pressing on an area the size of a car door (which is probably about what a hatch's size is). Possible, but you'd need industrual grade hydraulics, methinks, and that would only work down to certain depths, of course depending on the strength of the hydraulics you had installed.
  • subnauticambriansubnauticambrian U.S. Join Date: 2016-01-19 Member: 211679Members

At a water depth of 2 ft (0.6m) you're looking at 650 pounds pressing on an area the size of a car door (which is probably about what a hatch's size is). Possible, but you'd need industrual grade hydraulics, methinks, and that would only work down to certain depths, of course depending on the strength of the hydraulics you had installed.

eh, alright. I, for one, retreat from this debate, bested by reality once again.

We could easily just handwaive it with "Its a videogame" but then that would invalidate the purpose of hydraulics in the first place.
    For your infotainment:

• CAPSHAWCAPSHAW Nevada Join Date: 2016-09-29 Member: 222692Members
    DrownedOut wrote: »

No one likes being on a crashed spaceship in the middle of an alien ocean infected with a lethal disease and no hope of rescue. I don't think you'll find an airlock to be too much of an inconvenience
    For your infotainment:

That was horrifying.
    Eh. I forgot the different scenarios were actual ones where people died. So.. not infotainment I guess, more informative horror show. xP Sorry.
  • DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    edited December 2016
    CAPSHAW wrote: »
    DrownedOut wrote: »

No one likes being on a crashed spaceship in the middle of an alien ocean infected with a lethal disease and no hope of rescue. I don't think you'll find an airlock to be too much of an inconvenience

That comparison makes zero sense. I'm talking about gameplay ("no one" = gamer), you're talking about the story ("no one" = protagonist).
  • gunmetal563gunmetal563 Join Date: 2015-09-30 Member: 208239Members
    ... in theory the habitat modules are specialized in a way that is they can ether be used on land underwater or in space (on a moon, large asteroid, planet with no atmosphere) and only a few of the modules being subsurface (underwater) specific
    the hatch room that appears when hatch is build on a room should also come with a bulkhead to make it seem more realistic

ne368r0bch1z.jpg
    e6g7qxydvnjl.jpg

t9zj28oqybr5.jpg

and when placed any ware in a corridor it automatically adds a bulkhead requiring that the corridor is attached to something like another corridor or multipurpose room and not a T or an X corridor

to make things more realistic the bulkhead to the airlock can be auto closing with the player having to wait for the water to fill the airlock before entering from outside, and waiting inside the airlock for it to fill with water before leaving it to go outside with the exception that it is in the floor or bottom of the corridor.

also i think the moonpool should come with a bulkhead

• gunmetal563gunmetal563 Join Date: 2015-09-30 Member: 208239Members
    any entry not underwater or exiting/entering from a place with clean air should have an airlock