Tips for how to succesfully seed a server.

TinCanTinCan Join Date: 2006-12-11 Member: 59010Members
Plan to invest 30 minuets to the cause.
Most of that time you will playing the game so its all good.

Join an empty server.
Seems obvious but this is the first step.

Join a server that already has one player.
That person is trying to seed also. Why not double the chances.

Invite your friends on Steam.
If you have any.

Chat it up with the next person who joins.
Talk strategy, gossip, talk about problems with the arcade server tab idea or Hive2 stats etc. Ask the player to help you seed the server too. Play around with the pregame stuff, whatever, just be entertaining enough to keep the player there until the third person shows up.

Start a seed game as fast as you can.
I find if a game is in progress players will stay until it is over. Lots of times I have started a game with three or four players and by the time it is over the server is full. If you just hang out in the ready room players will come but then they will go after few minuets if the game isn't on.

Comments

• WakeWake Join Date: 2003-03-05 Member: 14351Members, Constellation
    Too complicated.
    Just add a couple of bombshell striptease models animations in the RR and you're done.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    According to @Zavaro, once you get 10 (?) players, the rest of the server will fill up very quickly. It's the magic number of server seeding. I can confirm this from experience (seeding the SCC server).

So, don't leave if there's 9 people on the server already.
  • TinCanTinCan Join Date: 2006-12-11 Member: 59010Members
    I forgot
    If map vote is available switch it to Veil
    This seems to be the most popular map.

• Legend_BossLegend_Boss UK Join Date: 2014-02-27 Member: 194394Members
    I agree with all of the above. One extra addition would be to chose your map choice wisely. I would avoid custom maps until you have a near full server. I would recommend veil map in the first instance to start seeding. Once the server is full or near full I would recommend Combi map as I hear that is a really good custom map which should be included in vanilla map (after some more detail added by a group of people).

If you can, I would recommend having all talk on while you are seeding and during matches, at least until you have 10 players. It helps keeping everyone involved and talking etc.
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2016
    Seventeen minutes into a 1v1 game:

"COMMANDUH WHY DID U BUILD NOTHING BUT MACS ANF TURRETS AND NO UPGRADES"

Oh shit, we have players now!
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    pro pro tip: equip self with alt tab and netflix. or steam overlay web browser.
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    I agree with all of the above. One extra addition would be to chose your map choice wisely. I would avoid custom maps until you have a near full server. I would recommend veil map in the first instance to start seeding. Once the server is full or near full I would recommend Combi map as I hear that is a really good custom map which should be included in vanilla map (after some more detail added by a group of people).

If you can, I would recommend having all talk on while you are seeding and during matches, at least until you have 10 players. It helps keeping everyone involved and talking etc.

You're so shameless in your self promotion hahaha
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    TinCan wrote: »
    I forgot
    If map vote is available switch it to Veil
    This seems to be the most popular map.

You are correct. It is the most popular map.
    http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/143352/just-map-statistics
  • TinCanTinCan Join Date: 2006-12-11 Member: 59010Members
    Once the server is full or near full I would recommend TinCans_Station as I hear that is a really good custom map

Fixed
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited November 2016
    Dig a hole, one that is not too deep, but just deep enough
    Plant the seed
    Add some water
    Make food
    Eat the food
    Invite everyone on your friends list
    Add the ready room rave mod
    Play last stand or infested marines
    B)