Can you think of any features that could be removed?

124»

Comments

• .trixX..trixX. Budapest Join Date: 2007-10-11 Member: 62605Members
    @RevanCorana yes, about that "only works when the other team is far worse"
    Actually, yesterday we had a 6on7 game where we (marines) had both the skill and numeric disadvantage.
    I opted for a catpack rush as a com, and it didnt work. The still hive have had 2% left after the 5 marines died.
    But they got so wrecked by that single rush (we only killed a drifted) that we could establish map control and win the RT war (not the kill, mind you).

HMG/SG research and DLC is not similar, but those are the two options you have if you want more parallel tech.
    But have you noticed the phenomena, when you change something in a system, even if you spend weeks tracing out all the possibilities, some dumbass in the end will find one exploit and ruin the whole idea? And after that was found, it will become the new beat-it-all strategy, and the others will be neglected, rendering the game linear again. You can't just put core tech in other places and expect the game to play the same way.

You just proved my point: there ARE other viable options for strat, but people use the most effective. No problem with that, but there will always be a most effective one (and not just situtation-wise).
  • RevanCoranaRevanCorana Join Date: 2015-08-14 Member: 207125Members
    edited December 2016
    .trixX. wrote: »
    @RevanCorana yes, about that "only works when the other team is far worse"
    Actually, yesterday we had a 6on7 game where we (marines) had both the skill and numeric disadvantage.
    I opted for a catpack rush as a com, and it didnt work. The still hive have had 2% left after the 5 marines died.
    But they got so wrecked by that single rush (we only killed a drifted) that we could establish map control and win the RT war (not the kill, mind you).
    Not sure anecdotes of casual games mean much.
    .trixX. wrote: »
    have you noticed the phenomena, when you change something in a system, even if you spend weeks tracing out all the possibilities, some dumbass in the end will find one exploit and ruin the whole idea? And after that was found, it will become the new beat-it-all strategy, and the others will be neglected, rendering the game linear again. You can't just put core tech in other places and expect the game to play the same way.

You just proved my point: there ARE other viable options for strat, but people use the most effective. No problem with that, but there will always be a most effective one (and not just situtation-wise).

Marines dont have any actual choices thats the core problem.
    Aliens can chose crag or shift hive, marines can chose shotgun or grenades...
    Also as a sidenote, if the winning strategy is cheesy/repetitive thats the games fault not people bein dumb.
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    do strats change on dust2? arent we all trying to win?

to me, it's not about the variety of tech paths and strats, but how well each team executes these. of course every single game is be repetitive to some degree. what can change is how you fill or operate within your role.
    edited December 2016
    Please theres a difference between saying every round should be 100% new and different and saying there is 1 possible way to win (as a marine com).
    And yes tech paths are about the commander which csgo doesnt have. in csgo everything is unlocked from the start so to speak.
  • .trixX..trixX. Budapest Join Date: 2007-10-11 Member: 62605Members
    If anecdotes real-life examples don't register with you, then what are we talking about beside random ideas?
    Just because you consider only one tech path as the winner for marines, that doesn't mean that there's only one.

I hear you man, NS could use some parallel strategies, but you have to understand that
    a) it's bloody difficult to keep the game balanced after even a tiny change, so your ideas will have cascading balancing requirements afterwards and
    b) we already have options, all you have to do as a com is convince your teammates to follow your strat and not fall back to the default search&destroy mentality.
    Yes there is some small degree of variance on marines tech paths like you can go mines or sentry lock or pg rush etc. but Id argue most of the time when these work its because the other team doesnt know how to respond to the unusual stuff.

it doesnt really prove wether its close to equal to shotgun/a2 meta. In fact the general trend says otherwise.

So b) no not enough, people use and get used to what works.

And for balance I doubt its such a big deal to have HMG early game.
  • RammlerRammler Join Date: 2013-06-18 Member: 185607Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    which feature should be removed?

just look at the comp mod.

First feature that is completly broken and heavily overpowered is...... BONESHIELD.

it gives an instant armor buff and is not to counter as marine. in most cases the chasing marine will die.
    i dont know why it was ever implemented.
    but when you look at the comp mod you will see that bonewall got fixed there and it is only a normal shield again.