Power transmitters, and silver again, and someone really went wild with the propulsion cannons...

Alrekr_IronhandAlrekr_Ironhand New Hampshire, US Join Date: 2016-03-22 Member: 214677Members
So I built my first base this game pretty close to a thermal vent, and it was the obvious source for some additional power after my initial couple of solar panels. And once again I found myself trying and failing to hook up power transmitters.

Finally I found the secret. Advice in the past has been that it's a good ides to put a foundation under your thermal plants to help protect the thermal plant from the lava chunks from the vent. DO NOT DO THIS. If you put a foundation under your thermal plant, the thermal plant, which is not very bright, will power that foundation and nothing else.

After figuring THAT out, I have three thermal plants powering my base, and my power woes are pretty much over.

Now if only I could find any more silver ... Let's see, what complete blueprints do I have that I need silver for? Thermometer, medkit fabricator, battery charger, power cell charger, modification station, vehicle modification station, all three tiers of Seamoth pressure compensator, Seamoth power efficiency module, Seamoth solar charger, Seamoth torpedo system, PRAWN suit thermal reactor, Cyclops, stasis rifle...

That's about three times as much total as I've so far found on the entire map.

There is not enough silver in this release of the game. It is TOO rare. It is almost but not quite unobtainium.

After three REAL, not game, days of searching, I finally found an additional five silver ore, over the course of about an hour, about six hundred meters south of lifepod 6. That plus the one I had in stock was just enough to build, after careful thought, the two items I most desperately needed — a modification station and a power cell charger. I made myself a set of Ultraglide fins and a hardened survival knife, and upgraded all of my air tanks to high capacity ... then disassembled the modification station again because I can't spare the silver to leave it assembled. The power cell charger came just in time; I was almost out of charged power cells for my Seamoth. Then I ran swam out to get food, and stumbled across another silver ore all on its own in shallow water, barely thirty meters from my base.

One more trip searching for the floating islands, SLIGHTLY better equipped for the trip, and this time, on my fourth try, I re-find the floating islands, and find the floating island wreck. And dear gods, is it littered with propulsion cannon fragments. I think I can pretty much tell what happened here. There was synthehol involved, and someone or other said, "No, trust me, this is gonna be great fun! It'll be awesome!"

Comments

• narfblatnarfblat Utah, USA Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216799Members, Forum Moderators, Forum staff
    edited October 2016
    Very silly on the platform thing, they should have given us some hint to avoid this. They are apparently removing platforms as they removed terraforming, and just going to give bases longer legs, so that won't be an issue(from trello).

Silver is ridiculous. They need gold to be rarer in sandstone, and make it easy to tell from limestone. Fortunately silver problems will go away later, when you get the Prawn and its drill arm. At that point you'll be able to fill a wall locker easy.

Yeah, those propulsion cannon fragments. Seems to be it has a bunch of fragment spawn locations, each with a list of fragments it can spawn. It eliminates fragments from the list if they are already found, so all become propulsion cannons. They need to have a few sites become empty, or spawn some old fragments if fragment list becomes too small.
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    edited October 2016
    Finally I found the secret. Advice in the past has been that it's a good ides to put a foundation under your thermal plants to help protect the thermal plant from the lava chunks from the vent. DO NOT DO THIS. If you put a foundation under your thermal plant, the thermal plant, which is not very bright, will power that foundation and nothing else.

Yeah that is kinda silly i think too. Took me a few trials and errors as well to figure this out lol

There is not enough silver in this release of the game. It is TOO rare. It is almost but not quite unobtainium.

After three REAL, not game, days of searching, I finally found an additional five silver ore, over the course of about an hour, about six hundred meters south of lifepod 6. That plus the one I had in stock was just enough to build, after careful thought, the two items I most desperately needed — a modification station and a power cell charger. I made myself a set of Ultraglide fins and a hardened survival knife, and upgraded all of my air tanks to high capacity ... then disassembled the modification station again because I can't spare the silver to leave it assembled. The power cell charger came just in time; I was almost out of charged power cells for my Seamoth. Then I ran swam out to get food, and stumbled across another silver ore all on its own in shallow water, barely thirty meters from my base.

One more trip searching for the floating islands, SLIGHTLY better equipped for the trip, and this time, on my fourth try, I re-find the floating islands, and find the floating island wreck. And dear gods, is it littered with propulsion cannon fragments. I think I can pretty much tell what happened here. There was synthehol involved, and someone or other said, "No, trust me, this is gonna be great fun! It'll be awesome!"

For a new player i will agree that the fact silver is the rarest ore often means frustration trying to find some. But with time and exploration one eventually realize that theres much more silver in the game that first meets the eye. Nowadays i know all the places where silver are and have 0 troubles to find as many as i need (and i do need alot in my games)

Silver is mostly found in all the Kelp forest biomes, inside Sandstones, but thats not the only place to find them. Wherever you'll find thermal vents there is always sandstone in them (be careful the hot temperature can now hurt you!). In the Safe Shallows, whenever you see a medium/large cave system, theres always a few sandstones hidden there too.

Of course the easiest way to locate sandstones is in the few caverns you'll find in the Kelp Forests. whenever you find a cavern in a kelp forest you are almost guaranteed six to 8 pieces of silver minimum.

• 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Umm, guys, that sounds like a bug, should probably report it as such just in case it is indeed unintentional. I highly doubt the thermal is meant to work on foundations, but only that one foundation.
  • Duff_McDugginDuff_McDuggin Join Date: 2015-07-02 Member: 205964Members
    @Alrekr_Ironhand Some help for you with your silver woes. In the beginning, before you have your Prawn suit, there is a place with an abundance of silver, and no predators. I will explain how to get there as best I can. First locate the large circular shroom cave entrance on the edge of the save shallow. If you float with the cave entrance on your left side, swim forward, following the cliff wall, all the way until just before you hit the edge of the grand reef. when you are at that cliff edge, turn 90 degrees left, and you should see a cliffy area with green grass. Inside these small cliffs, are many many silver nodes to break open. There are no predators in this area. There is quite a bit there to get you started. The silver you find there should allow you to build a few things, and start hunting silver in the red grass areas. It is slow going, but that is the intent. Once you get the Prawn from the Aurora, you will not need for silver ever again.
  • ReefseekerReefseeker Finland Join Date: 2015-05-21 Member: 204740Members
    That's about three times as much total as I've so far found on the entire map.

There is much silver to be had from Kelp Forest, especially it's caves. You'll just have to deal with Stalkers. Note that the Kelp Forest biome is separated by the Safe Shallows biome in many places, so in a way there are "many" Kelp Forests.

New and old players alike often avoid the Kelp Forest, since the Stalkers are a real threat. Bleeders are also annyoing. Learn to deal with Stalkers and your silver problems are gone. Feed them little fishes, use Stasis Rifle, Repulsion Cannon or whatever else you find useful.

It's just another obstacle, although a tougher kind than many others.
  • SidchickenSidchicken Plumbing the subnautican depths Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213125Members
    Silver can be found in the thermal vents - you'll take a little damage from the heat, but it's survivable. Just bring a medkit. It can also be found in many caves in the kelp, and even a few in the shallows.
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    Umm, guys, that sounds like a bug, should probably report it as such just in case it is indeed unintentional. I highly doubt the thermal is meant to work on foundations, but only that one foundation.
    It's not a bug. If the foundation you build the generator on isn't connected to the rest of your base, then the foundation is a "base" on its own, and the generator will power it as the closest base. He doesn't mean literally that one platform - if you connect 3 platforms they will all have the power.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Oh I see now.

Maybe connect it to your base, then after building the thermal, deconstruct the connecting pieces? Not sure if that would work or if it would split the base into two bases.
  • EvilSmooEvilSmoo Join Date: 2008-02-16 Member: 63662Members
    I found silver in kelp forest more reliably than vents.
  • Alrekr_IronhandAlrekr_Ironhand New Hampshire, US Join Date: 2016-03-22 Member: 214677Members
    Once I knew not to put it on a foundation, there was no more problem. It only took half a dozen power transmitters to connect all three thermal generators I've built to my base. I could have gotten by with fewer, but I wanted the power beam going through water, not the ground.
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    edited October 2016
    narfblat wrote: »
    Very silly on the platform thing, they should have given us some hint to avoid this. They are apparently removing platforms as they removed terraforming, and just going to give bases longer legs, so that won't be an issue(from trello).

Silver is ridiculous. They need gold to be rarer in sandstone, and make it easy to tell from limestone. Fortunately silver problems will go away later, when you get the Prawn and its drill arm. At that point you'll be able to fill a wall locker easy.

Yeah, those propulsion cannon fragments. Seems to be it has a bunch of fragment spawn locations, each with a list of fragments it can spawn. It eliminates fragments from the list if they are already found, so all become propulsion cannons. They need to have a few sites become empty, or spawn some old fragments if fragment list becomes too small.

Gees, I hope They don't get rid of the Platforms, they give Positive construction numbers to ones base building.

If They do that, it'll only leave the Reinforcement Panels as a way to keep ones base from destroying itself.

The Platforms are also the only way to set up Exterior Grow Beds above the water level.
  • Alrekr_IronhandAlrekr_Ironhand New Hampshire, US Join Date: 2016-03-22 Member: 214677Members
    I did trawl all around the kelp forests for sandstone, and found enough silver to get a moon pool, a vehicle modification station, and my Cyclops built. Once I build a PRAWN drill arm, I should be set for mining.

I still think the different types of mineral nodules should be visibly distinguishable from another beyond label-reading distance. Preferably from within the Seamoth. Limestone, shale, and basalt do not look like sandstone.

I also note, after a brief excursion in my exosuit, that it suffers from the same major deficiency as the Seamoth — you cannot access its inventory, or even your own, from inside it.
  • SidchickenSidchicken Plumbing the subnautican depths Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213125Members
    DaveyNY wrote: »
    The Platforms are also the only way to set up Exterior Grow Beds above the water level.

Aside from building them on land of course. ;)
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    I still think the different types of mineral nodules should be visibly distinguishable from another beyond label-reading distance. Preferably from within the Seamoth. Limestone, shale, and basalt do not look like sandstone.

Yeah i do hope as well that the different kind of nodes gets different visual graphics to be able to distinguish them at first sight. Personally, the idea ive got to differenciate Limestones from Sandstones is to scan a Limestone node when i first get a scanner tool but i do not scan a Sandstone node. Like this, whenever i get near'ish a Sandstone node, i get the little scanner icon pop-up on the lower right of my screen before i need to get close enough to read the name of the node :smiley:
    You know, thinking about the absurd proliferation of propulsion cannon fragments in that wreck ...

Maybe fragments need to be handled differently as the types of undiscovered fragments drop. Because the massive Monty-Haul trove of the last available new upgrade is just silly.

The game clearly already checks which fragments are still undiscovered when a chunk is loaded for the first time, and decides then what to spawn. Maybe it should also decide how many fragments to spawn? I'm thinking it could follow a set of rules such as for example: No more than three fragments of any single type, no more than one fragment of any already-completed pattern, and no more than, say, four TOTAL of ALL already-completed fragment types. That would put an end to things like finding twenty propulsion cannon fragments in a single wreck.

(...I didn't actually count them. I may possibly be somewhat exaggerating the number, but not by much.)
    Rainstorm wrote: »

Yeah i do hope as well that the different kind of nodes gets different visual graphics to be able to distinguish them at first sight. Personally, the idea ive got to differenciate Limestones from Sandstones is to scan a Limestone node when i first get a scanner tool but i do not scan a Sandstone node. Like this, whenever i get near'ish a Sandstone node, i get the little scanner icon pop-up on the lower right of my screen before i need to get close enough to read the name of the node :smiley:

...Unless you're in the Seamoth. Then you've got to get out and check it.

I think the real answer is to make them visually distinct in the way the large PRAWN-minable clusters are.
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    Sidchicken wrote: »
    DaveyNY wrote: »

Aside from building them on land of course. ;)

But you have to go to the Floating island or the Mountain Island to do that, not especially convenient if one's base is near Lifepod-5.
    B)