How many of you suffer from thalassophobia and/or submechanophobia? Also post why if you wish.

0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
If you're not sure, take a look around the thalassophobia and submechanophobia subreddits and see what makes you twitch. ;) I have both as well as claustrophobia and acrophobia (heights), but I can control them all as far as I'm aware. How about you all?

Comments

• Darwin-EvolutionDarwin-Evolution France Join Date: 2015-06-07 Member: 205310Members
    I would not be an amateur diver in the real world if I suffered from thalassophobia. I don't particularly see why people should suffer from submachanophobia because for me, in a way, submerged vehicles are a source of "joy" because it actually helps the environment (well, that is if it doesn't come with fuel). It helps animals like corals to grow on a rigid surface because corals cannot grow in sand. Wrecks have the potential to become future reefs and attract a whole diversity of marine life.
  • GreybeardGreybeard USA Join Date: 2016-09-24 Member: 222538Members
    To paraphrase a quote from Bill Burr, "I'm terrified of the ocean. Well, it's not that I'm afraid-- I'm informed."
  • Uriel238Uriel238 Vacaville Join Date: 2016-12-02 Member: 224434Members
    Large empty expanses of water make me anxious, interestingly more so when I <i>don't</i> see anything in it. The Reaper behind the Aurora gives me a known hazard to fixate on, whereas empty expanse is just pure possibility.

Going deep and seeing the the consistent biomes at lower depths is actually reassuring. But yeah, I get creeped out when I'm diving back down to depth from the surface, or headed over a cliff into the big empty.

It's some kind of back-of-the-brain primal reaction that makes no rational sense. That said, Subnautica is actually cathartic in that it triggers the response and then resolves it when the sea floor and hidden fauna come into view. It assures that there's nothing to be afraid of.

...except Reapers. Those'll mess you up, man.

• FluffersFluffers United States Join Date: 2015-05-22 Member: 204749Members
    The main thing that terrifies me about open ocean is knowing how much distance there is between me and the bottom of the ocean. Imagining all that open space, and me just being there with the massive expanse beneath me is terrifying. I can't see the bottom of the ocean from the surface, so in my mind, it never ends, there's just an endless void under me with no end. Even though I know that's not true, I can't separate that from reality no mater how hard I try.

It's not just a fear, it's a real, legitimate phobia. A completely irrational, petrifying fear that can't be reasoned with.
  • eggs_and_sameggs_and_sam Join Date: 2016-12-04 Member: 224545Members
    I'm entirely the opposite of thalassophobic; I love the open ocean, the expanse of blue-black nothingness, and the sensation of the weight of a couple atmospheres pressing on you while you look down and can't see the ground. I'm living rather far inland at the moment and can't SCUBA dive as I used to for a while, so Subnautica's a bit of a way to dive vicariously through the laptop. It's relaxing beyond words.

Except when you are swimming for your life from leviathan-class beasties. That is less than relaxing. But great fun.
  • 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
    I saw the movie Deep Blue Sea when I was just a young'un and it messed me up pretty bad. I get the heebie jeebies whenever I'm in water where I can't see the bottom.

Hell, I still can't even look straight down in game when I'm at the surface over the Grand Reef.