Some questions about the game

BranjomanBranjoman Join Date: 2016-09-28 Member: 222682Members
Hello, I have recently bought Subnautica (and am LOVING it!), but I have a few questions about the game.

Firstly, the Seaglide - is it meant to drink so much power? I can't even go 400m horizontally without draining 30% of the battery. I really don't think that it should be this power-hungry, and a decrease in power consumption is certainly in order.

Secondly, I need the Seamoth quite badly for progression purposes, but I can't seem to find any fragments for it or the vehicle bay. I've heard the Aurora and the wreck near Pod 17 has some, but I am NOT going anywhere near the Aurora with its Reapers without some protection (like the Seamoth!), and the Grasslands have so many of those Sandsharks around, I cant even get close. Is there a better place to get them? (FYI, wrecks have yielded nothing)

That last part segues on to my final point - the frequency of hostile creatures is very high. The kelp forests early on are quite dangerous, and you have to go in deep to get creepvine seed clusters, which are precious early on. Also, just like I said above, Sandsharks are in abundance in the Grasslands (there were 4 of them around the wreck I was going to!), making it really difficult to get in and scan fragments. It seems a decrease here is needed too.

Comments

• DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    edited September 2016
    Yes, the seaglide is supposed to drain that much, but it's something it's only been doing for the past few updates. It's currently a controversial gameplay change that's part of the larger discussion of energy balancing.

Don't count on the Seamoth protecting you that much against the reapers, but if you want it, yes, you will have to dance with the sandsharks. There's no way around that. Be quick and watchful and you will survive it with minimal scratches (the biters actually are more of a problem).

All creatures but the reapers have recently been upped in numbers. Whether it will stay that way or not is to be seen. It is EA still, so any kind of tweak is possible. Though you should know there's a bleeder-free & stalker-free Kelp Forest to the West, near Lifepod 6. There's also a feature in the works that might hit in October that could make acquiring creepvine seeds and samples quite a bit easier.
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    Welcome to the game @Branjoman !

1- The seaglide is indeed very power hungry. many of us think it should indeed use much less power per second altho the Devs are the one deciding that. one of the reason it probably use this much power is the fact that you can find and create battery chargers to recharge your used up batteries. not sure if they'll ever change this, altho the game is still in Early Access so who knows ....

2- Seamoth and Mobile Vehicle Bay fragments are both found in the same biome, as you mentionned the MVB is found in that very wreck so you need to go there to find them. Seamoth fragments are scattered in the red grass fields, theyre not in one specific spot, so you'll need to explore these fields to find enough fragments to get the blueprint. having a seaglide helps alot to escape the many predators that wants to chew your legs for a snack :wink:

3- Yes, theres alot of dangerous creatures in this game that doesnt like you. The key to survival is to not panic. Calm yourself, stay back for a bit and observe them predators. by studying their behavior and the way they attack other creatures you'll quickly understand how to avoid being bitten when they start chasing you. Every predator has a pattern in attacking you that you can figure out. The stalkers, for instance, are avoided by swimming in circles, they'll quickly get bored chasing you and break pursuit.

Hope these bits of info helped you :smiley:
  • SidchickenSidchicken Plumbing the subnautican depths Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213125Members
    1. The seaglide is best saved for when you need it, either to get air quickly, dive quickly or escape a predator. Carry spare batteries, and don't worry too much about having a bunch of dead ones lying around - you can still use the empty ones in the powercell recipe and you'll get fully charged powercells. Likewise dead batteries can be used to make tools and you'll get a charged batt in the deal.

2. The wreck near pod 17 is definitely the place to go. Remember to keep an eye out in corner of the screen for the "you can scan this" indicator as you're going through the wreck - the newly implemented damaged tech pieces can be harder to ID as tech than the little lockers.

3. The predators you can usually dash past if you're going into a wreck - they usually don't follow you inside. For getting seed clusters, try staying near the surface until you're above a bunch of them, then dive down and grab them, then swim back up. So long as you don't dive right next to a stalker you can usually grab them unmolested. Without a seamoth, it's better to do things by day - the predators seem more aggressive at night.
  • LonnehartLonnehart Guam Join Date: 2016-06-20 Member: 218816Members
    If you're talking about getting creepvine seed clusters it could take a while depending on where you spawn, but I know of two places here you can get them. Both creepvine forests have no predators in them in the beginning. One is right past Lifepod 6 (if you know where it is). The other is on the far side of a thermal vent. Not sure how to describe that vent's location except that it's near one of the plains with blood red grass in it...
  • EvilSmooEvilSmoo Join Date: 2008-02-16 Member: 63662Members
    Don't hold off visiting the Aurora. Grab a rad suit from a pod, or make one. Then head straight to the Aurora over the shallow areas, you'll hit a bunch of sand sharks, but they're not a huge threat. Then stay on the surface of the water and follow the hull to the front until you go around and in. You might see a Reaper down in the depths, but if you stay on the surface you should be fine, especially if you use a Seaglide to zip in over the last deep portion. They don't look up much.

You should definitely bring, if you can:
    • spare medpacks (5+, depending on your ability)
    • fire extinguishers (2-3)
    • propulsion cannon if you can get it
    • knife and more medpacks if you don't propgun the spiders
    • welder
    • laser cutter
    • stasis gun will trivialize combat and getaways, but is out in deeper areas

You might even want to bring a locker, and stash the Cyclops efficiency upgrade, plus the posters and stuff, if things get dicey. Pick those up once you have your Seamoth. There's Seamoth and Prawn suits to scan, a storage module, and shutting off the radiation is convenient. There's generally plenty of batteries scattered around, plus plenty of water, and a few food cubes further in.
  • KaybeKaybe Join Date: 2016-09-19 Member: 222425Members
    Welcome to the game! It's quite enjoyable and I hope you don't get too frustrated early on. There is indeed a heavy debate going on right now on food, water, and energy balance, so you'll have to wait and see which direction the devs wish to take us. Just be advised that it is indeed very challenging for new players playing blind, so please don't hesitate to watch recent Youtube videos and browse the wiki to find out where crash sites are.

Seaglide does indeed drain power like mad. So does the Seamoth now. You absolutely want to get your hands on both the battery charger and the power cell charger ASAP. The wreck next to lifepod 17 contains the battery charger, Seamoth, Vehicle Bay, and Bioreactor fragments, making it one of of the most valuable wrecks you'll come across all game. Remember that fragments can be found all over the wreck, both inside and out, and often inside boxes. While Seaglide is a pain, it's pretty important for diving down to that wreck. One thing you want to equip is an air bladder. You can craft those early and it makes you climb to the surface very quickly, allowing you to save on battery power. You'll pretty much stop using it once you're using the Seamoth with rechargeable power cells.

Speaking of which ... there's a wreck in the western mushroom forest sitting on top of a large mushroom 'tree'. Check online maps to get an idea where it is. That's where you'll find the power cell charger. You want this. You really really want this. Go get it. Seamoth is practically unusable now without unless you enjoy spending a load of time gathering copper. Be advised, though, that you craft power cells from regular batteries ... even depleted ones.

Early on, you won't have access to the compass. While it doesn't actually require magnetite to craft, you need magnetite to unlock it, which makes no sense (have they changed this in the last update yet?). You'll need to rely on using the Aurora in the distance as a direction guide to point you where you want to go. Use a good online map to get a sense of where to go.

As for Sandsharks ... they are annoying but not too difficult to deal with. You'll need to do a bit of 'hit and run' with how you scan fragments. But as long as you carry a bunch of medkits on you, which are very easy to get given how frequently your medkit fabricator makes them, you'll be fine.
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    edited September 2016
    Kaybe wrote: »
    Speaking of which ... there's a wreck in the western mushroom forest sitting on top of a large mushroom 'tree'. Check online maps to get an idea where it is. That's where you'll find the power cell charger. You want this. You really really want this. Go get it. Seamoth is practically unusable now without unless you enjoy spending a load of time gathering copper. Be advised, though, that you craft power cells from regular batteries ... even depleted ones.

Just a small precision. Right now that wreck is not the only place where you can find the powercell charger. Theres another place to find them that are much easier to get to than that wreckage on early game. Ill put other location in the spoiler tab below

In the same red grass biome you find Lifepod 17, on the border or the Sparse Reef biome, you'll find on the ground rather easily several Powercell charger fragments as well as the Water Filtration Machine fragments. The Powercell fragments looks like the powercell charger device whereas the Filtration machine fragments still look like the grey safe-looking boxes
  • subnauticambriansubnauticambrian U.S. Join Date: 2016-01-19 Member: 211679Members
    Branjoman wrote: »

...the frequency of hostile creatures is very high. The kelp forests early on are quite dangerous, and you have to go in deep to get creepvine seed clusters, which are precious early on. Also, just like I said above, Sandsharks are in abundance in the Grasslands (there were 4 of them around the wreck I was going to!), making it really difficult to get in and scan fragments. It seems a decrease here is needed too.

My personal solution to this is basically go in with the confidence and pugilism of the Scots-Irish (AP-US History, anyone?). Before you leave your seabase, basically accept that there is a very high chance you will die. Fortunately for you, the penalty in this game for dying is very little! The best part about dying too is that unlike precious materials, blueprints you've scanned won't disappear from your inventory if you die after gathering them! (Dear devs, if you're reading this, I think this is plenty penalty enough for dying. Pls don't nerf ;_;)

Personally, once I'm down in a wreck it's really a kill or be killed world. Something bites you? Bite it back harder! Most preds will flee after you perforate them a little, and any bleeder dumb enough to take a chomp outta your arm can be dispatched with one slash. (honestly though, if you're gathering resources you have to be pretty careful not to die on your return trip, as you'll lose anything you've gathered since you last exited/entered a seabase).

Good luck!
  • SidchickenSidchicken Plumbing the subnautican depths Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213125Members
    Fortunately for you, the penalty in this game for dying is very little!

Unless you play hardcore.