Constantly Trying to Keep Most Things from Killing You
Constantly Grinding Materials to Survive
Constantly Looking for blueprints
Constantly Rechargeing Batterys and Power Cells
Constantly Trying to Keep EVERY Thing Going

So Whin do i Get Time to Explor?

Comments

• KisuKisu Germany Join Date: 2016-08-08 Member: 221099Members
    Was asking myself the same but then I build the cyclops and put some planters with melons, a fabricator and a power cell and battery charger in it. Now I am exploring all the time and don't have to worry. :)
  • KaybeKaybe Join Date: 2016-09-19 Member: 222425Members
    Seems the game is designed with the idea that exploration is for mid to late game only. Which is silly as it'll make new players rage quit and get a refund before having two hours of game time.

At the very least, the rate at which you need to eat and drink should be cut in half. Having to carry at least three each of food and water every time you step out of your base is needlessly cumbersome, and in the early game, challenging as all get out to constantly collect.
  • TarkannenTarkannen North Carolina Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221304Members
    edited September 2016
    I dunno, for me that's half the fun. For the first part of the game, you're constantly needing to farm resources to expand your base, build items like the Battery Charger to keep going, and upgrade your abilities to unlock more tech; all the while needing food and water to keep going. It's somewhat like the old "Metroidvania" style of games, where you've gotta keep getting new stuff to keep progressing in the game.

On the flip side, once you reach a point where you're stable and self-sustaining, you can take your time to explore. After this new update I've got a base with 8 Thermal Plants (near a Thermal Spout) so I have constant power, also with 4 Water Filtration machines and an Alien Containment filled with Reginalds so water/food isn't an issue anymore. Now I can explore the Grand Reef and Lava Zone in my PRAWN Spider-Mecha Suit in style. ;)
    Kaybe wrote: »
    At the very least, the rate at which you need to eat and drink should be cut in half. Having to carry at least three each of food and water every time you step out of your base is needlessly cumbersome, and in the early game, challenging as all get out to constantly collect.

This is true in the early game and it's definitely a challenge. But Filtered Water (coral+salt) gives double the water of Distilled Water (Bladderfish), and the Big Water (Filtration Machine) gives 50 water in one slot. Likewise, once you get an Alien Containment, stick 2 or more fish of the same species in there and they'll magically spawn more fish. If you get Spadefish or Reginalds they give far more food than even Peepers can. Just gotta keep moving forward!
  • SidchickenSidchicken Plumbing the subnautican depths Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213125Members
    Tom2121 wrote: »
    Constantly Trying to Keep from Runing Out of Air
    Constantly Looking for food and Water

The way I see it, the game roughly breaks down into three phases; early game, midgame, late game.
    Early game: You start with nothing, can't really dive much deeper than 100m (and even that's pushing it). You stay fairly close to the lifepod, gathering the basic tools & equipment you need.
    Midgame: Otherwise known as "found the seamoth fragments". Significantly increases your range and depth capabilities. Can now explore wrecks more efficiently, and get back and forth to your base more quickly. Can find rarer resources (such as diamond for the laser cutter) and makes most predators found in the 0-200m range trivial to deal with. Can get what you need to explore the Aurora and get the PRAWN.
    Lategame: By this point you've got the tech for the cyclops, and have established self-sustaining (or nearly so) food supply. Focus shifts more to exploration and on going deeper, collecting whatever tech you may have missed and so on.
  • JamezorgJamezorg United Kingdom Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216788Members
    But doing these things takes you to wonderful places. You don't need to stay still and not do anything to take in the scenery, you can do it whilst surviving, too. In fact, you could probably do it better. I was scouring the Mushroom biome for a Jellyray egg to add to my aquarium, when I discovered that the kelp forest is elevated high above the Mushroom forest just next to it. Would have never found that out any other way than searching for that egg. I know finding an egg is not survival, and a survival situation might be a tad bit more intense, but still, comparisons can be made.
  • RezcaRezca United States Join Date: 2016-04-28 Member: 216078Members
    edited September 2016
    What you described pretty much sounds like what I think of when I imagine a Survival Game: A constant struggle for survival. If you've got an easy time of things, why put the "Survival" label on it at all?

@Sidchicken put it quite nicely though; Early game you're helpless and have nothing, and over time you come to replace the old ways of getting food watr and so on, obsoleting the need to hunt and gather when you can just farm and breed your own. Then the exosuit and its drilling large resource nodes provides even further raw material you wouldn't otherwise been able to get. Uphill struggle in the early game, and then it eases up once you've got those high-tech toys to play with.
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members

Pretty much. but then i wonder, why all of these needs to be done separately from exploring? you can do all that while exploring! :smile:
  • dealwithitdogdealwithitdog Texas Join Date: 2016-06-09 Member: 218343Members

Most of those things force you to explore.
  • DagothUrDagothUr Florida Join Date: 2016-07-12 Member: 220125Members

yhc9zi5ofh7h.jpg

• KaybeKaybe Join Date: 2016-09-19 Member: 222425Members
    edited September 2016

But not far. Food and water all require you stay near your base as you need access to your fabricator to make said food and water. And batteries and power cells require copper which are only found in limestone and which are finite. So in fact, dependency on these things does the exact opposite ... it forces you stay close to the Shallows and not explore and find those very fragments that would alleviate these problems.

If the rate at which you need to farm these materials was considerably reduced, then you'd be able to actually spend time doing stuff other than just surviving, such as exploring interesting spots and diving at fragment filled wrecks.

It's not that any one of those things is especially frustrating. It's the fact that all of them combined make for a very frustrating experience in the early game. And no one will even stay to play the mid or late game if that's the case. *Especially* if you're the type of player who wishes to blind play and not check Youtube or the wiki to find out where you need to go to get to those wrecks.
  • DaAngryCheeseDaAngryCheese Join Date: 2016-09-17 Member: 222374Members

Play freedom mode, no need to be in constant search of food and water. Also once you make a battery charger battery are no longer an issue.
  • EvilSmooEvilSmoo Join Date: 2008-02-16 Member: 63662Members
    Or, give players the scanner room MUCH earlier, and use the base version to put a big waypoint on wrecks? Give resource scanning to the Cyclops. This gives a whole bunch of targets, without spoiling what might actually be out there like wiki look-ups do. And you only have to make one base scanner, instead of spamming them everywhere.
  • SidchickenSidchicken Plumbing the subnautican depths Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213125Members
    But not far. Food and water all require you stay near your base as you need access to your fabricator to make said food and water. And batteries and power cells require copper which are only found in limestone and which are finite. So in fact, dependency on these things does the exact opposite ... it forces you stay close to the Shallows and not explore and find those very fragments that would alleviate these problems.

You have to be operating incredibly inefficiently to not have any ability to explore, or to run out of food, water or batteries so much that you can't manage to go far from your lifepod. Especially with the signals from the radio guiding you to the interesting things.
  • HerugrimHerugrim The Poconos Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221402Members

No. They force you to farm. There's a difference.

The beacons from the relay get you started, but with all the imposed limitations they do not get you far enough to actually keep going on your own. Your sitting their in your base made of hallways, with a foundation covered with solar panels so you can recharge the four spare batteries you have to carry everywhere with you because you need the seaglide. The seaglide lets you move fast enough with the extra oxygen tanks that you have to carry to dive into wrecks, all of which takes up half your inventory. You think the seamoth will compensate for that but you run out of power cells after one hour of wandering around to look for things. You continue to farm the same stuff becaue you have to micromanage your power consumption to keep the seamoth going and you can't go deep enough to find anything new without the seamoth, so you get trapped in a cycle.

Some players will get luck and stumble across a power cell charging station. Others aren't so lucky, never find one, and quit the game because it's all about grinding an endless supply of power cells.

But hey, let's just drop the exploration element completely and make it a strictly survival game. I wanted to play a clone of stranded deep anyway. Just randomize everything use a procedurally generated map and add MP so that players can sabotage each other's habitats and submersible to steal their resources.

Because who wants to explore? That's just stupid.
  • subnauticambriansubnauticambrian U.S. Join Date: 2016-01-19 Member: 211679Members
    Sidchicken wrote: »
    You have to be operating incredibly inefficiently to not have any ability to explore,

aww, that's kinda mean....

anyway, I kinda agree with @kaybe. When I very first played subnautica, I was able to get the cyclops and felt that massive shift from "survival mode" to "exploratory mode." Albeit the game was way older (read: easier) back then, and so this happened relatively quickly. Honestly the way the game works seems a tad ridiculous to me right now.

On the one hand, new players are going to find a game that keeps getting more and more taxing to survive in, what with new updates making oxygen more pricey, disabling a lot of blueprints that you'd have normally, etc. However experienced players can virtually cruise through this game, as once you've got a cyclops (again- easy for vets, just take a trip to the aurora/mountain/floater island- again something new players won't necessarily know right away) you can create a self-sustaining base easily with grow beds, fruits, and fish tanks (not to mention the net power gain from putting power cell chargers in a cyclops.)

It's just kinda weird. What if it were more even? What if survival was made easier, and the ridiculousness of late-game play nerfed a bit? that's just my two cents...
  • FathomFathom Earth Join Date: 2016-07-01 Member: 219405Members
    This game is in development. There is no 'normally' until release.
  • subnauticambriansubnauticambrian U.S. Join Date: 2016-01-19 Member: 211679Members
    Fathom wrote: »

Alright, well maybe this is something that they should work on. Since they're developing stuff they're probably going to want to hear back from some players. (sorry if I hurt anyone's feelings)
  • EvilSmooEvilSmoo Join Date: 2008-02-16 Member: 63662Members
    Fathom wrote: »

Alright, well maybe this is something that they should work on. Since they're developing stuff they're probably going to want to hear back from some players. (sorry if I hurt anyone's feelings)

I think it's obvious that Cyclops needs a big overhaul. Charging itself has to be a stopgap measure until they make some way of recharging it from alternate fuels, bases, solar, or thermal. I suppose you could go around with a locker full of cells, and spend a day or two recharging them in a power base, but that seems clunky.
  • RalijRalij US Join Date: 2016-05-20 Member: 217092Members
    edited September 2016
    Lets play a survival game and proceed to whine about survival elements.

I decided to test how far you can go without eating or drinking. I made it from my lifepod (roughly centered) all the way to the void south of the Grand Reef and back. I still have 70 food and 57 water. I can go the entire length of the map and half again before being desperate for water (I would still have 40 food and 14 water assuming a reaper didnt get me). With one or two salted peepers and disenfected waters there isn't anything you can't reach and linger around before food and water become a problem.

You'd have to be avoiding collecting resources to not have an ample amount of copper. I have 23 spare copper in addition to 2 extra power cells and 5 extra batteries and I've hardly been thorough in finding limestone. These resources are plenty common. You have to fail really hard to drain the entire shallows (which would be the problem if you were exploring all of it and managed to run out somehow)

edit: I forgot to mention that I used only the standard flippers in my journey across the map. No seaglide, no seamoth, no cyclops, and no glide fins.
  • Kyman201Kyman201 Washington State Join Date: 2016-01-23 Member: 211880Members
    edited September 2016
    Okay, I don't want to sound like I'm patronizing, because honestly, that's the last thing I want to do. But you can do what I do:

If you find the food and water restrictions of Survival to be a pain in the ass, why not just play on Freedom Mode?

I mean, I know many people love the Survival Mode, and the food and water. But I honestly found it to be a pain more than anything, so I usually play on Freedom Mode. Yeah, you gotta worry about air and power supplies, but juggling those things isn't too difficult.

And I'm actually rather mystified by people saying that it's impossible to find fragments in the wrecks. When I got the wreck near Pod 17, I was able to dive into the wreck a few times (there's a large gap near the top branch that has cosmetic bubbles leaking out, that's probably intended to show people how to get in) and managed to get the blueprints for the bioreactor, the battery charger, and the vehicle bay.

From there, things open like some blooming anime rose.
    @Ralij has it right - the claims of excessive farming are grossly exaggerated.
  • Rooks_NemesisRooks_Nemesis Ontario Join Date: 2016-06-11 Member: 218388Members
    I find once the fire is out the 1000 m dash begins.. it's a VERY quick race to throw together 2 tanks, scanner, knife, fins, bladder and welder.. on the first day. All of which can be done within said 1000m of pod 5.

if I didn't happen to find the seaglide on the first day I do so now which is exceptionally easy to find and build, Again grabbing up salt. Once thats done I fab some water and dried fish and head out to the plateaus.. the KEY I find to early battery needs is only use the seaglide to dive to the floor, use the bladder to surface. Bottom line is by time I go back I have the battery charger, vehicle and seamoth ready to build.

After that the game is cake! Take some time to gather the easy resources, build up a base for the sole purpose of battery charging and storage. Use dead batteries to make your new power cells. And keep gathering salt.

I've been playing the game for QUITE a while now.. but I've yet to find the game difficult even with the curves that get introduced. Follow those early escape pod beacons they steer you in the right direction!

The ONLY time I ever struggle is fighting the urge to head out to floater island until I get cyclops..

@Rooks_Nemesis Out of curiosity, why would you avoid going to the island before having the cyclops? Even if you're trying to pretend you don't know things, the radio tells you there's dry land 750m south of the crash site fairly early on, which would give any rational survivor or explorer a reason to go that way.
  • Rooks_NemesisRooks_Nemesis Ontario Join Date: 2016-06-11 Member: 218388Members
    edited September 2016
    @Sidchicken There is a couple reasons actually.

- Once you hit that island you never have to worry about food/water again thanks to the marble melons, of course I don't need to use them which usually I don't.

- The tech boost it gives you is unreal and way to easily obtained! I like to work at things to progress not have them handed to me, Again I know I do not need to scan the Multipurpose room, observatory, grow bed etc etc.

- Gating myself to needing the cyclops makes more sense to me.. A lot of open water between pod 5 and the giant jelly's with NO opposition. In my mind there is a MASSIVE current that runs between the shallows and the island.. if you take your seamoth there it would be destroyed by the force.. basically it translates to I need a bigger boat lol.

- The island to me is just a point where I pick up PDA's and as of right now they as well are not needed. And for when I was very new to the game and was still learning all the mechanics.

To get those things I'd rather have to dive down into the jellyshrooms, which takes some prep time and a good ol throw down with the locals!
    I prefer to depend on the fish I catch and store in either my on board aquariums or alien containment. And the water I produce from the purifiers. Which also takes some planing altho minor ( base power use etc. )

Not going to that island increases my current play throughs exponentially which means more enjoyment and for longer! I love the accomplishment in surviving. But that's just me
  • ThosarThosar Join Date: 2016-08-14 Member: 221302Members
    My most recent playthrough I did just following the communications, the battery charger and vehicle bay were in the first wreck I was guided to, and the seamoth around the second one. A little exploration around that wreck and I sighted the island, but waited till the communications relay told me about it before going there. I did have a little trouble finding copper at the beginning (which I thought was odd, I hadn't had any problems in previous runs), but once I had 7 spare batteries (it didn't take too long) I pretty much used the seaglide to get everywhere, carrying 3 (plus the one in the seaglide) while the other 4 charged.

All that being said. If you have any sort of subpar graphics card, it makes the beginning of the game exactly like the OP's description. I tried introducing my brother to the game and at first I thought he was just being sucky, but it really was just the split second delay caused by the slower graphics rendering on his computer. It can make it so you can't catch fish quickly at all, and indeed all your time is consumed with trying to feed yourself.
  • HerugrimHerugrim The Poconos Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221402Members

That's entirely subjective. To one person filling a wall of lockers with silver is nothing. A fun little way to spend time.

Some of us don't have that time, or don't want to spend it doing something like that. Previous poster just said farming seven batteries was nothing to him, even with having trouble finding copper. I never craft more that 4 spares. More then that and whatever I find on the aurora is excessive to me.

For some people the grind is a good thing. Spending 100 hours on it means nothing at all to them. It's a good time. For others, having to spend more than 10 minutes specifically for grinding is a nightmare, because they don't like the grind.

The grind is real. To deny it is simply narrow minded. I can take some grind, even like it at times. But this game, in it's current state, has pushed me to my tolerance. The next thing they nerf for the sake of padding the game's length will be a deal breaker. I know what's coming, needing 20 titanium to make a single room, having to fill our inventory with pipes to explore wrecks. I'm not looking forward to that.
  • ThosarThosar Join Date: 2016-08-14 Member: 221302Members
    edited October 2016
    Herugrim wrote: »

Previous poster just said farming seven batteries was nothing to him, even with having trouble finding copper.

Please don't put words in my mouth. I neither farmed nor grinded to get those. I continued surviving and exploring the beacons from the communications panel, and on the way made sure to pop each limestone I could, and I made a trip to the aurora to fill up with batteries from there.

Incidentally, making a trip to the aurora was one of the first things I did as a new player on my first run, and you definitely don't have to wait to have things crafted before going (aside from the radiation suit). The swim is easy if you take a little care, and new players will probably get eaten once, before they take a little more caution to wait for the reapers to get a good distance away before continuing their trip around the aurora (a full trip around the aurora is the logical way to find the entrance, and definitely possible without any crafting besides the regular fins). And I think it's important to get eaten by a reaper at least once, because it's part of what makes the reaper terrifying. It makes all future encounters with them much more intense.
  • stevenwojostevenwojo Texas, USA Join Date: 2016-09-11 Member: 222252Members
    Once the game reaches version 1.0, my guess is the AI will be a lot more helpful, pointing out to players who are missing something obvious, how to do things. It may state things like "those kelp vines look like they could be useful" or "My sensors are picking up natural limestone formations that seem to be covering mineral desposits". Once everything starts getting some polish, I'm sure the AI will be more active in moving the story along. Please remember that "Early access" is for bug finding and ensuring the gameplay is flowing as the developers meant it to. With that said, I'm sure the delevopers appreciate all the constructive feedback.