Good ol' refrigerator & freezer.

ArtoriusArtorius Indiana USA Join Date: 2016-09-02 Member: 221998Members
So I like to go fish hunting and gather several days worth of fish. Now, I can cure them and have them last several days. But it would be really nice if there were a refrigerator and freezer to keep things fresh longer.

See, what happens is that when you want to go on a long trip in the Cyclops you have to find a way to bring food with you. But after a few days, even cured fish goes bad. So you have to go catch fish for food while in the middle of a science project or a mining project. So you are constantly drawn away to eat while working. I can gather up as much water as I want and never deal with the water going bad. Since water never goes bad.
But food goes bad. And being able to freeze fish or plant foods for long term storage and be able to refrigerate cooked food to increase how long it lasts.

Refrigerating should allow:
*raw fish last 5-6 days.
*cooked fish last 4-5 days.
*raw veggies last 7 days.
*cooked veggies last 5 days.

Freezing should allow all items to last indefinitely. Effectively pausing the fouling process.

Thawing would require either a day in the refrigerator or using the fabricator. I would like to see a tiny kitchen as an object that would allow turning food into more advanced food. (I will post this in a separate thread)

Having this ability would also allow players to hunt larger animals for food. Such as stalkers or sand sharks.

Comments

• CAPSHAWCAPSHAW Nevada Join Date: 2016-09-29 Member: 222692Members
    It seems like food preservation related schematics should be preloaded into the 'survival mode' on the PDA. Hanging fruit should not go bad 60 seconds after I pick it, either.
  • EvilSmooEvilSmoo Join Date: 2008-02-16 Member: 63662Members
    Yeah, an ingame day for every level of decay, maybe?

I always just went with a minifarm on the sub. Plants mature so fast that it works fine. I like the fruit in concept, but they're over-nerfed. The REAL way to go is bulbo for water, and potato for food. Toss in a stillsuit when you're not in the crazy hot areas, and you can sit in the sub all day on plants alone without even needing fishies. Assuming it's not upside down from a dragon attack. Melons are okay, as well.

Either that, or just stack up player-created nutrient cubes from that food processor idea that I posted. Then just a squad of bulbo trees or water bottles and cubes.
  • ArtoriusArtorius Indiana USA Join Date: 2016-09-02 Member: 221998Members
    I like the food processor idea. Would make later game much more exploration oriented.
  • RalijRalij US Join Date: 2016-05-20 Member: 217092Members
    Cured fish go bad? This is in the latest experimental build?
  • TolemTolem Thailand Join Date: 2016-07-05 Member: 219614Members
    edited September 2016
    There are still small aquarium that can keep 8 small fishes alive. You can just build 2-3 of them and store captured fishes which will be used later.

subnautica.wikia.com/wiki/Aquarium
  • SidchickenSidchicken Plumbing the subnautican depths Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213125Members
    Ralij wrote: »

That's what I was wondering - I've never had cured fish go bad.
    Sidchicken wrote: »
    Ralij wrote: »

That's what I was wondering - I've never had cured fish go bad.

I think you're right. I don't think it does go bad. My mistake.
  • JamezorgJamezorg United Kingdom Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216788Members
    This is counterproductive for me.

It's a great idea, it just doesn't work with the way I find food in the game. I always just hop out of my base and catch some fish to cook when I'm hungry, I don't plan ahead when it comes to food. I'd like a refrigerator and freezer though, I think it would be cool to have just in case I did need it. Maybe freezing food gives some extra perks so that it doesn't feel like I'm waiting for something to eat when I could eat it right now. Maybe another perk could be that you can take two bites out of frozen food instead of just eating the whole thing? Or it gives a little bit of health too? I don't know, I just feel like it's a little bit underpowered as it stands.

But hunting Sand Sharks and Stalkers sound awesome, even though it probably won't happen since they don't want the killing of animals or hunting or that (even though I want this.... a lot.)
  • harrzackharrzack United States Join Date: 2016-09-11 Member: 222250Members
    @Artorius - great idea!

This could easily be done as a storage upgrade. All lockers and submarine storage compartments should be able to get the upgrade. I wonder how it would effect power usage?
  • SamNauticaSamNautica Join Date: 2016-08-22 Member: 221596Members
    One trick I use that is a bit of an exploit an I admit should be fixed to put raw fish in a locker they will never go bad.
    SamNautica wrote: »
    One trick I use that is a bit of an exploit an I admit should be fixed to put raw fish in a locker they will never go bad.

Didn't know that worked.
    harrzack wrote: »
    @Artorius - great idea!

This could easily be done as a storage upgrade. All lockers and submarine storage compartments should be able to get the upgrade. I wonder how it would effect power usage?

I really like this idea. Adding a wiring kit and some other stuff to a locker, or making a similar locker that takes up a tiny bit of power, would eb really cool to have. This is a survival game and food preservation is a must. It might be nice to see some other items added in this area, but at some point you are just feeding the Ikea Nesting Instinct.
  • Harry82Harry82 France Join Date: 2016-08-23 Member: 221617Members
    Lol yeah you can carry and store live fish for as long as you want, poor little buggas... At least they don't cause too much trouble flip floppin around n all.

There's gotta be something adaptable from the stasis rifle to create long term food storage though right? Wouldn't be that much of a stretch...

Harry82 wrote: »
    Lol yeah you can carry and store live fish for as long as you want, poor little buggas... At least they don't cause too much trouble flip floppin around n all.

Maybe we can strap more on to swim faster.

If only we understood how the stasis rifle worked. I know my hanging fruit tree acts as a storage for hanging fruit (that sounds weird), but when I want to take them somewhere I cant bring more than enough to eat for the next five minutes because they go bad. I wish I could stockpile them somewhere. Especially in the Cyclops.
  • SidchickenSidchicken Plumbing the subnautican depths Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213125Members
    CAPSHAW wrote: »
    If only we understood how the stasis rifle worked. I know my hanging fruit tree acts as a storage for hanging fruit (that sounds weird), but when I want to take them somewhere I cant bring more than enough to eat for the next five minutes because they go bad. I wish I could stockpile them somewhere. Especially in the Cyclops.

I just grow my fruits on the cyclops.