Blood colour change

MyrmMyrm Sweden Join Date: 2015-08-16 Member: 207210Members
Why has the blood of the creatures changed from red to yellow?

Comments

• IcremunIcremun Join Date: 2016-09-12 Member: 222276Members
    I don't think its blood, i think i is supposte to be the carar
  • MyrmMyrm Sweden Join Date: 2015-08-16 Member: 207210Members
    Icremun wrote: »
    I don't think its blood, i think i is supposte to be the carar

That doesn't explain why it was red before the creatures update and now is yellow.
  • Enderguy059Enderguy059 Australia Join Date: 2015-10-15 Member: 208486Members
    No, they did change the blood colour intentionally, nothing Carar related. No idea why, perhaps it's more alien that way?
  • RequiemfangRequiemfang Join Date: 2015-02-22 Member: 201492Members
    edited September 2016
    Different blood color is just something cosmetic the devs added in. Alien planet means different blood colors. Heck look at horseshoe crabs they have blue blood due to them using copper instead of iron. A few creatures here on Earth besides the horseshoe crab have different colored blood. The same should apply to creatures on another planet. I don't think it has anything to do with the Carar infection/disease.
    I always thought copper would have turned blood green. :)
  • FlappybatFlappybat Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165519Members
    Yellow fish blood I am fine with but disappointed they will change the Blood Kelp. The red looks amazing.
  • EvilSmooEvilSmoo Join Date: 2008-02-16 Member: 63662Members
    Flappybat wrote: »
    Yellow fish blood I am fine with but disappointed they will change the Blood Kelp. The red looks amazing.

The blood kelp isn't ACTUAL blood, it's just called that because red...
  • FlappybatFlappybat Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165519Members
    edited September 2016
    The Trello notes say it's getting changed to yellow to match creature blood :(

https://trello.com/c/Nurxw98c
  • EvilSmooEvilSmoo Join Date: 2008-02-16 Member: 63662Members
    Flappybat wrote: »
    The Trello notes say it's getting changed to yellow to match creature blood :(

https://trello.com/c/Nurxw98c

Aww, I missed that. I like the red too.
  • phantomfinchphantomfinch West Philadelphia , born and raised on the playground is where I spent most of my days. Join Date: 2016-09-06 Member: 222128Members
    I think the blood was turned yellow because of the lack of iron on the planet
    Human blood is red because of iron in the blood and there have been multiple cases of people with blue blood because of the abundance of copper in their blood. http://propaganda-dimitrios.blogspot.co.uk/2011/04/in-world-there-are-about-7000-people.html

And if I remember correctly there was one case where a guy had green blood because of the abundance of sulphur in his blood.

So maby the creatures have an abundance of another metal like titanium.
  • phantomfinchphantomfinch West Philadelphia , born and raised on the playground is where I spent most of my days. Join Date: 2016-09-06 Member: 222128Members
    edited September 2016
    So the blood was removed because a small minority have a phobia of blood? So the majority had to have their game changed due to some people not liking the sight of blood? Surely that can't be the reason why they changed it. If it was then it was a bad move to make.

Let's hope nobody who suffers from hydrophobia joins the forum.
  • stevenwojostevenwojo Texas, USA Join Date: 2016-09-11 Member: 222252Members
    While I recognize most of these concerns, blood is rarely seen in the safe shallows and gasopods are rarely seen out of the safe shallows. By the time the safe shallows cease to be safe, my guess is the only time most people go there would be to traverse it to get to somewhere else unless, of course, that is where a base was built. For me, it's pretty cool when I find myself near the surface over the red grass area near dusk/dawn and look down. With the yellow blood, it almost looks like fireworks, so many fish are being "eaten". I never noticed the red blood from more than a few meters away. In any case, the blood oil is perfect as is. If anything, change the name, not the color, if it offends. Call it Red Oil, or Hydraulic Fluid, for all I care, but keep the creepy aesthetic.
  • ComicalSkateComicalSkate Canada, ON Join Date: 2015-05-28 Member: 204993Members
    The blood was changed from red to yellow to make it more alien and to get a better age rating for Subnautica. Red blood = more violent, etc to the ESRB for some reasons.
    edited September 2016
    If they changed the colour of the blood to yellow to appease the authorities so that the bin lids can play it, then I can understand, though I think it's a pretty weak argument. Though, of course, age ratings don't really deter bin lids from playing, for example, 18 certificate games. How many under 18s play Grand Theft Auto V? :smile:
  • DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    A phobia is not "not liking". A phobia is a quality of life affecting disorder that in extreme cases qualifies as a disability. Furthermore, I know it's the hip new thing to blame "snowflakes" and the like of any form of moderation in video games, but fact is that we currently don't know why UWE made this change in alien fish blood. Getting an accessible rating seems to me a much more likely explanation (Germany, Australia, and South Africa still have strict laws about video game violence, if I recall correctly) and there's yet the aestethic possibility or even the visibility motivation.
  • FathomFathom Earth Join Date: 2016-07-01 Member: 219405Members
    Yes, let's all jump to conclusions. Who needs to know any real reasons when your confirmation bias already decided on what's what? Reality only ever gets in the way.
    DrownedOut wrote: »
    A phobia is not "not liking". A phobia is a quality of life affecting disorder that in extreme cases qualifies as a disability...

Indeed it is. I have a "phobia" myself, I won't say in what as it's embarrassing, though I have to admit it's not so much a disability as it doesn't have the opportunity often to manifest itself. Makes me shiver inside thinking about it, so onto something else ... I like candy! :smiley:
  • sayerulzsayerulz oregon Join Date: 2015-04-15 Member: 203493Members
    Yellow blood would, as I recall, indicate that they have a cobalt based circulatory system? Blue/green would be copper. Someone mentioned titanium, but I don't think that that has the right oxidation properties. For something to be usable to transfer oxygen in blood, it needs to oxidize easily, and also give up that oxygen easily. Titanium dioxide is quite common, but it takes a lot of energy to separate it, which is the main reason that titanium is somewhat expensive.

I don't think that yellow is at all a good choice for a blood color. Green would have been better. Changing the color of the blood kelp is just stupid. It's not real blood, and it's not the fish that are naming it. If a human saw it, they would be more likely to call it piss kelp.
    Werewolves have purple blood.
  • sayerulzsayerulz oregon Join Date: 2015-04-15 Member: 203493Members
    Myrm wrote: »
    Werewolves have purple blood.

I don't suppose whatever that's sourced from explains why?
    Not that I know of.
  • stevenwojostevenwojo Texas, USA Join Date: 2016-09-11 Member: 222252Members
    If a human saw it, they would be more likely to call it piss kelp.

I think it was blood oil that people are wanting to not be changed. Is there a blood kelp in-game? They should definitely leave the blood oil alone, as it's not really blood. As for the yellow blood, here's a quote from trusty Google: "Some animals, such as the sea cucumbers, even have yellow blood. What could make blood yellow? The yellow coloration is due to a high concentration of the yellow vanadium-based pigment, vanabin."

chemistry.about.com/b/2013/10/26/what-animals-have-yellow-blood-and-why-is-the-blood-yellow.htm
  • BENSKIBENSKI Join Date: 2016-08-07 Member: 221063Members
    edited September 2016
    The blood was changed from red to yellow ... to get a better age rating for Subnautica. Red blood = more violent, etc to the ESRB for some reasons.

THIS. IS. A. GAME. WHERE. YOU. GET. EATEN. ALIVE. BY. GIANT. SCREAMING. DEATH. DEMON. NOODLES.

ANYONE and EVERYONE who has played Subnautica knows that it is survival-horror. You can't have a survival-horror game for kids no matter how nondescript the blood looks ...
    Part of what makes this game so great and original is that it has such an innocent exterior which conceals how scary it really is.

Changing the blood colour to pander to the rating agencies would be nothing short of pathetic ...
    Fathom wrote: »
    Yes, let's all jump to conclusions. Who needs to know any real reasons when your confirmation bias already decided on what's what?

I'll stop speculating when someone from the development team actually decides to respond to our concerns ...

Me? Bitter? What gives you that impression?

#bringbackblood2k16