Hive 2.0 (Shuffle 2.0?) Choosing your team

MoFo1MoFo1 United States Join Date: 2014-07-25 Member: 197612Members
edited September 2016 in NS2 General Discussion
So I've been wondering with this new hive2.0 that we're supposed to be getting...

Will there be any way to choose what team you'd prefer to have shuffle place you on?

If not what are the chances of having something like this added. I think it would be extremely helpful as most people seem to prefer one side over the other. Sometimes so much so that they refuse to play the side they hate, which leads to one team being down 1-3 players in the first minute.

Or at the very least having the "switch" feature from the TacticalGamer server put into vanilla so people can type switch to trade places with someone on the other team...

Currently it really seems like shuffle goes out of it's way to place me on the Marine team... It doesn't matter the circumstances. I can even join a server with equal teams (lets say 8v8) and it will force me to Marine literally every single time, even when the average Alien hive skill is 500+ less than the Marine average!

Clearly I'm not alone either as yesterday there was another player in the server who hated playing Marine so much they flat out refused. Disconnecting and reconnecting to the server over and over until they were finally placed on Alien.

Judging from the other thread (which side do you prefer) it really does seem that most people greatly prefer one side over the other, and some sort of algorithm to prioritize giving those people the team they want would be immensely helpful. (and something beyond just joining the team you want before the shuffle, because that does nothing whatsoever. At the very least 8 out of 10 times when I'm on Alien before the shuffle I get forced to Marine.)

Anyway.. thoughts? Does anyone else consistently get shuffled onto the side they hate playing?

Comments

• NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2016
    As I understand it shuffling teams will functionally be no different than it is now. Hive 2.0 is back end improvements to the database and algorithm.
  • The_Welsh_WizardThe_Welsh_Wizard Join Date: 2013-09-10 Member: 188101Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    That would be sad because shuffle function works pretty bad. I often quit only because of that. I always try to convince people to not shuffle but it never works and players get shuffled around 10 times everytime before the game can start.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2016
    I do agree that shuffle quality is a problem. Shuffle is how we use hive skill to balance teams. Balanced teams are integral to a positive NS2 experience.

Some problems with shuffle can be directly attributed to hive. Such as some rookies starting at 0 hive skill while others start at 1000. I wrote this proposal to fix that one thing, and it has been implemented into hive 2.0.
    There have been some other back end improvements to algorithms that Mcglaspie or Moultano would need to explain. You could ask them on discord.

No one should expect any of this to make shuffles perfect under any circumstances. Team balance is and never will be guaranteed. We do know that hive does a reasonable job, and hive 2.0 will further enhance its accuracy and quality. This only scratches the surface of what is needed to have balanced games.

The best way to obtain balanced games is to have near skilled teams. Near skilled teams would be had with skill segregation. This alone would greatly enhance shuffle quality. This is not possible given the concurrent playerbase NS2 has had at any time in the last several years. The amount of skill variation on any given server is far too high to have near skilled teams. Until the playerbase dramatically increases, if ever, shuffle quality will only marginally improve.

I encourage anyone to use the command "sh_teamstats" after a shuffle. This will allow you to see the average skills of both teams and the standard deviations. Shuffle is supposed to find a team combination with the closest possible average hive skills and standard deviation of skills. Standard deviation of skill is a measure of how widely varied skill is on the team. Even if average skill is equal, games will be imbalanced if the standard deviations are not equal. You can have a balanced game with high standard deviation but the amount of quality games from those shuffles would increase if the standard deviations were smaller. To have near skilled games NS2 would need both teams to have a standard deviation under 200. In reality this almost never happens, and will not happen frequently until the playerbase multiplies in size.

TLDR: Shuffle is not the problem. Little can be done to dramatically improve improve shuffle quality. It is what it is.

• The_Welsh_WizardThe_Welsh_Wizard Join Date: 2013-09-10 Member: 188101Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    You are only speaking about skill balance but I was more talking about the problems MoFo mentioned: Getting shuffled into the team you don't want to play, getting shuffled away from your friends, being unable to F4, getting shuffled 10 times in a row, getting all afks into play.

But yea, shuffle also got big problems to get the teams fair. I agree that it is not easy to make shuffle work better with elo as the only source of skill judgment and a small playerbase.

So when you agree to that, why is shuffle still in the game? There only downsides to it while the only (theoretical) good thing (balanced teams) is not working too well.
  • antouantou France Join Date: 2016-07-24 Member: 220615Members
    MoFo1 wrote: »
    Or at the very least having the "switch" feature from the TacticalGamer server put into vanilla so people can type switch to trade places with someone on the other team...
    This functionnality would be great. I don't really mind which side I'm playing (except when I'm being shuffled to the same side 10 times in a row as OP mentionned), but I've seen too many players unhappy on both side with no possibility to switch.
  • moultanomoultano Creator of ns_shiva. Join Date: 2002-12-14 Member: 10806Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited September 2016
    I started working on a proposal for a better shuffle algorithm based on information theory. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1EyXAzWDhE2YD37lDFmYcO2TvFztldsfseOH0-J8j2Tw/edit

I'm not sure it's better though, and it's a bit of work to implement. I would like to revisit this at some point when I get the chance. One of the goals is to take into account both team preference and the stddev of each team's skill.

Once hive2 has been in the wild for a while and people's skills have settled down a bit, then maybe we can start experimenting. Hopefully it will be better enough without further modification that people will be happier with shuffle results.
  • HandschuhHandschuh Join Date: 2005-03-08 Member: 44338Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Community Developer
    edited September 2016
    I think the biggest issues are latejoiners on most servers.. after the shuffle you arent allowed to f4 usually. I try to make teams, but I simply can't do it.

Following scenarios happen usually:

1) teams are almost ok, but its 1200 (9 people) vs 1000 (10 people)
    So the balance will be even worse, very likely after someone joins...

Or

2) teams are fine
    But then the followong happens:
    a) people join afterwards and its impossible to reshuffle and we have uneven teams
    b) people are afk/get kicked for that and teams are uneven again when they rejoin because they can't join the team to balance everything

This is what happens mostly from what I've observed.. people whine about the wrong reasons that ppl stack on purpose, but that's mostly not true. The issue is with the shuffle or the restrictions in the settings.
  • AmbivalentAmbiguityAmbivalentAmbiguity Miami, FL Join Date: 2014-02-18 Member: 194129Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    At the end of the day it's a damned if we do, damned if we don't scenario.

As a server op, I can say with extreme certainty that if I did not have a shuffle on the server it would be abused immediately by those who would stack in order to decimate the rookies. I say this, because I've run the experiment both recently and in the past. The community at large can not be trusted to police themselves.

Shuffle is what it is, a shuffle. Making it give preferential treatment to players for what team they want to join kinda defeats the purpose. Random is random. Further defeating the purpose is also contrary to the idea of a shuffle. What happens when a low skilled player is swapped with a high skilled player? Oops, now the teams are suddenly off balance again.

Almost everyone has a different opinion on this, and there's never a consensus.

Many servers have systems in place where you can donate, or pay for a slot that doesn't get shuffled. For right now that may be the only way for people who don't want to be moved around to get what they want.
    Many servers have systems in place where you can donate, or pay for a slot that doesn't get shuffled. For right now that may be the only way for people who don't want to be moved around to get what they want.

lol
  • SupaFredSupaFred Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183652Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Shuffle is what it is, a shuffle. Making it give preferential treatment to players for what team they want to join kinda defeats the purpose. Random is random. Further defeating the purpose is also contrary to the idea of a shuffle.

Shine's version of shuffle tries to let players stay on their chosen team using players in the ready room to balance the average skill. You can also set tolerance for average skill and standard deviation. On my servers I have a fairly high average skill tolerance and I've recently stopped shuffling for standard deviation whith good results. Configuring shuffle this way is a good compromise that let's people play on the team they want most of the time.
  • AmbivalentAmbiguityAmbivalentAmbiguity Miami, FL Join Date: 2014-02-18 Member: 194129Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    SupaFred wrote: »
    Shine's version of shuffle tries to let players stay on their chosen team using players in the ready room to balance the average skill. You can also set tolerance for average skill and standard deviation. On my servers I have a fairly high average skill tolerance and I've recently stopped shuffling for standard deviation whith good results. Configuring shuffle this way is a good compromise that let's people play on the team they want most of the time.

I feel like I have them where I want, although I did make a few changes. I suppose it's been so long since I've configured it that I hadn't realized more features were added. Thanks for letting me know!

lol

Didn't say my server was one of them. But thanks for your input.

• SupaFredSupaFred Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183652Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    edited September 2016
    I feel like I have them where I want, although I did make a few changes. I suppose it's been so long since I've configured it that I hadn't realized more features were added. Thanks for letting me know!

It's worth checking out the Shine's changelog every now and then. I have noticed that new features are added with updates and they are not announced in any other way.

The default tolerance for standard deviation is 40 or 60. I have found that this setting is too low and causes shuffle to unnecessarily move people around which is one of the most common cause of complaint on my servers.
  • .trixX..trixX. Budapest Join Date: 2007-10-11 Member: 62605Members
  • MoFo1MoFo1 United States Join Date: 2014-07-25 Member: 197612Members
    Bumping this because it really needs to be something they're considering for a future patch. I just logged on to get a bit of NS2 in before I had to crash.. In 4 games I was forced to Marine in 3 of them. I would still be playing right now if I hadn't been forced to Marine AGAIN in the 5th game.

It shouldn't be too hard, let people select their preferred team in the options menu somewhere. 3 options.. "Alien" "Marine" and "None" with the default option being "None" Then have shuffle take that preference into account. So if two players of equal skill are in a game, and one has "None" and the other has "Alien" the player with the Alien preference will always be placed on Alien...

I don't know if that made much sense because I'm tired as hell right now.. I just know that this game desperately needs some sort of algorithm added to shuffle to take team preference into account. OR at the absolute very least have an algorithm so people aren't forced onto the same side over and over and over and over and over...

If I get shuffled onto Marine too many more times I'm likely to end up uninstalling NS2 altogether. After all why bother playing if I constantly get forced onto the team I absolutely despise playing with every fiber of my being.

/end rant
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Depth did a pretty okay job imo with that. You can select whether you woukd prefer shark, diver, or no pref. Ofc not perfect, sometimes you gotta play whatever to get a game goin. I would expect if this ever was a feature in ns2 to not expect to get your way 100% of the time.

However, i thought this was already in place to some extent. I remember some post i think moultano posted w a pic of Obama and some text along the lines of 'if you like the team you're on, keep it.' A nod to the buttfucking awful thing known as obamacare that was being rolled out at the time.
    Yeah jumping on a team before shuffle does nothing.. I get on alien before the shuffle pretty much every single time and it still forces me over to marine
  • moultanomoultano Creator of ns_shiva. Join Date: 2002-12-14 Member: 10806Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Yeah jumping on a team before shuffle does nothing.. I get on alien before the shuffle pretty much every single time and it still forces me over to marine

Do you know which shuffle method the server is using? There are several out there.
    @moultano

No clue..

These days I'm usually on either dmd or ibis (because they tend to be the only servers populated)... It seems to happen more on dmd.
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited October 2016
    @moultano

No clue..

These days I'm usually on either dmd or ibis (because they tend to be the only servers populated)... It seems to happen more on dmd.

It's easy to figure out: After a shuffle try to use sh_teamstats in your console. In case that command doesn't work the server uses the vanilla forceeventeams otherwise teamstats will tell you what shuffle settings the server is using in addition to details about the teams current setup.

Please copy paste that information in the future if you run into issues with shuffle.
  • mockmock Germany Join Date: 2014-03-28 Member: 195015Members, NS2 Playtester
    Yes, the funny thing is: if you ask sh_teamstats, it mostly says somthing like 18/20 players are in their preferred team. At the same time 5 ppl complain that they got switched. That just doesn't add up.
    mock wrote: »
    Yes, the funny thing is: if you ask sh_teamstats, it mostly says somthing like 18/20 players are in their preferred team. At the same time 5 ppl complain that they got switched. That just doesn't add up.
    No it does not. You read that wrong. That is showing how many people are in the teams shuffle made. If someone f4's or switches teams, that is what makes that number go down. For example:
    tBmUZZ6.jpg

I don't see where it shows shuffle settings...

It lists each players score, the team average, the standard deviation, tolerance values, then how many people match the shuffle and how long ago it was...

Where does it show the settings?

I hopped onto dmd this morning with enough time for 3 games.. Shuffle placed me on marine in all 3. I had to disconnect/reconnect to the server then wait until aliens were down a player, just so I could get one game on aliens in before work...
  • OlioOlio Join Date: 2010-12-17 Member: 75738Members
    edited October 2016
    +1
    Bumping this because it really needs to be something they're considering for a future patch.
    It shouldn't be too hard, let people select their preferred team in the options menu somewhere. 3 options.. "Alien" "Marine" and "None" with the default option being "None" Then have shuffle take that preference into account. So if two players of equal skill are in a game, and one has "None" and the other has "Alien" the player with the Alien preference will always be placed on Alien...
    I was just thinking almost the same. a Fair split where everyone wants to play.
    4+null option. "alien or marine" "Alien" "Marine" and "Spectate" + "null" = afk -> autokick in a few minutes.
    After that check Hive scores for stackd teams.
    !revote would be nice also.