How to save the Rock Puncher!

Nautical_NickNautical_Nick Australia Join Date: 2016-06-12 Member: 218444Members
So with the arrival of the PRAWN update there have been massive resource nodes introduced aswell. What if Rocky punched these to find food? (I know this has been said before) This would be a GREAT way to rescue Rocky from not being added! Please Devs, KEEP ROCKY THE ROCK PUNCHER!! I beg you!

Comments

• OrnafulsameeOrnafulsamee Join Date: 2016-08-25 Member: 221707Members
    I think it's a great concept to have those beasts punching stuff, I mean, if they were emitting a huge sound coupled with a screenshake while we don't see them, that would be insane in term of atmosphere.

Like "WTF was that noise ??".

• Nautical_NickNautical_Nick Australia Join Date: 2016-06-12 Member: 218444Members
  • Nautical_NickNautical_Nick Australia Join Date: 2016-06-12 Member: 218444Members
    Yeah! See, people do want to see Rocky. PLEASE hear our prayers Devs! Save The Rock Puncher! Sorry, went a bit to far there.
  • helloimbobhelloimbob Join Date: 2016-09-07 Member: 222145Members
    what's the rock puncher
  • WarmindWarmind Connecticut Join Date: 2016-04-13 Member: 215710Members
    hampus034 wrote: »
    I would LOVE to see the Rock Puncher in the game. They are basically like giant mantis shrimps.

They are based off of bullet shrimp I believe
  • ScrabquidScrabquid Germany Join Date: 2016-09-05 Member: 222092Members
    @helloimbob

subnautica.wikia.com/wiki/Rock_Puncher

Definately inspired by the reallife https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mantis_shrimp
    they can unleash such forces that it is possible to notice a flash of light upon target impact when they strike with specialized high speed camera equipmend tho
  • helloimbobhelloimbob Join Date: 2016-09-07 Member: 222145Members
  • CaptagearCaptagear Join Date: 2016-08-28 Member: 221804Members
    edited September 2016
    Haha this feels like a save the whales campaign but I also agree!

Save Rocky the Puncher!
    I don't care if he does nothing and doesn't destroy stuff, just make him in the game please! :s:D

As @Nautical_Nick suggested, he approaches these piles, smashes them and visual effects play (screenshake etc). Even if that's too destructive you could make it such that the piles arn't destroyed. We are willing to compromise! o:)

Guys let brainstorm the easiest, best and smoothest way he could be implemented! :)
  • ScrabquidScrabquid Germany Join Date: 2016-09-05 Member: 222092Members
    Make them be at home in different existing cave systems, add a couple ore deposits as furniture - you can mine the ore but when you come too close he gives you a knock
    edited September 2016
    edited September 2016
    Just again Thank You! Thank you for being a really good supporter of the Rock Puncher puncher campaign @Captagear, I really do appreciate it! Thank you to everybody else too! :);). I do hope that all of our work does not go invane and that the Rock Puncher concept at least gets re-considered!
  • Harry82Harry82 France Join Date: 2016-08-23 Member: 221617Members
    Scrabquid wrote: »
    Make them be at home in different existing cave systems, add a couple ore deposits as furniture - you can mine the ore but when you come too close he gives you a knock

And maybe they could be themselves food for leviathans, so although looking cool and being a mildly dangerous mining assistant of sorts, if you hung around too long you might run into a leviathan looking for dinner... Worth the risk for the resources? Probly not right now, there's tonnes everywhere, but maybe that will change one day too.
    @Harry82 lol have you seen how buff those things bloody are! I doubt it could be eaten by a reaper haha! :p
  • DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    I think that if the rock puncher is going to be a drillable loot creature, it would have to come with creatable loot rather than static loot to prevent its area becoming empty. Like the sea treaders create temporary rocks. Either the rock puncher can create it itself or it'd have to be in an area that respawns drillable loot (vulcanic?).
    DrownedOut wrote: »
    I think that if the rock puncher is going to be a drillable loot creature, it would have to come with creatable loot rather than static loot to prevent its area becoming empty. Like the sea treaders create temporary rocks. Either the rock puncher can create it itself or it'd have to be in an area that respawns drillable loot (vulcanic?).

The lava boils up and it drills that?? :open_mouth:
  • NecromNecrom The Grave Join Date: 2016-04-07 Member: 215444Members
    Hey guys, this is far from the first discussion about this. Take a look.
    http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/comment/2279155/#Comment_2279155
    edited September 2016
    Necrom wrote: »
    Hey guys, this is far from the first discussion about this. Take a look.
    http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/comment/2279155/#Comment_2279155

Sweet! :D
    It's been dead for sometime, but cheers for that :D
  • hugothesilverdragonhugothesilverdragon canad Join Date: 2015-11-30 Member: 209620Members
    #save the rock puncher
  • hugothesilverdragonhugothesilverdragon canad Join Date: 2015-11-30 Member: 209620Members
    maybe it will dig more tunnels in the lost river
    #SaveTheRockPuncher
    It may be long dead, but it houses many ideas for the saving of the creature.
    edited September 2016
    It may be long dead, but it houses many ideas for the saving of the creature.
    @Necrom Yeah, hence the thanks :)
    I linked it in the post I had made
    In my vision of the rock puncher, all of him is submerged in sand or rock. The only visible part of him looks like an ore deposit, and when the player attempts to break it, he wakes up, and runs away. After that, the player's base has a chance of being attacked.
    That's so cruel but I like it hahaha, I just see logistic problems in the code depending on where bases are built.

@DrownedOut
    Like this? haha
    Lava_Zone_Concept.jpg
    I agree, it could be difficult. A different alternative would be to have an alert while you are exploring, and when you come back, there is a Rock Puncher roaming around in your halls, and a massive hole in a wall.
    edited September 2016
    I agree, it could be difficult. A different alternative would be to have an alert while you are exploring, and when you come back, there is a Rock Puncher roaming around in your halls, and a massive hole in a wall.

Yeah that would kinda work but again a lot of programing for his movements within (as in pathing, not animations), but more doable. I like the idea of him being a defensive creature, like the gaspod but with a punch that will knock you flat! (reminds me of a big red kangaroo :D) I just laugh at the thought of this thing getting so annoyed it feels the need to bash your base to bits, because I imagine it moving so slowly! :D
    Well, the animations are done. He was never implemented because terraforming was removed. I think all he would need is pathing and where he lives. But even if you only see him when you attack him, he could show up on the scanner rooms cameras from time to time. Or smash the cameras, giving you a survival horror feeling.
  • Depth46Depth46 Join Date: 2016-09-09 Member: 222167Members
    DrownedOut wrote: »
    I like the lava drill idea. I've seen lava bubble up in game, why not freeze? Then it respawns over time!
    Well, the animations are done. He was never implemented because terraforming was removed. I think all he would need is pathing and where he lives. But even if you only see him when you attack him, he could show up on the scanner rooms cameras from time to time. Or smash the cameras, giving you a survival horror feeling.
    If he smashed the camera it would probs scare the hell out of me!

Yeah I knew the animations were done, but I meant the movement though the base (as in pathing). Smash cameras? Would only happen if they were low enough on the ground and in his territory I imagine.
    Depth46 wrote: »
    I like the lava drill idea. I've seen lava bubble up in game, why not freeze? Then it respawns over time!

If he smashed the camera it would probs scare the hell out of me!
    Welcome to the forums by the way!

I suppose it could be done but I couldn't think of a creative way of doing it as for it to not look dodgy, I just imagine it moving too slow to get a jump scare effect haha! :p

edited September 2016
    @Captagear, I imagine Rocky to have a medium speed.
    Note: I have a friend who just made an account! He is @Deep_Sea_Wade!
    @Captagear, I imagine Rocky to have a medium speed.
    Note: I have a friend who just made an account! He is @Deep_Sea_Wade!
    Yeah but it would look to move slow due to its size. I think maybe the speed the player moves without fins would be about right? What do you think? :)

Yeah? Cool :)