Beacon built on seabases

CaptainRonCaptainRon Join Date: 2016-07-04 Member: 219569Members
Subnautica_Base_Concept_Small1.jpg

So I noticed the antennas on top of the diving chamber in this concept art and thought it would be cool if it would act like a beacon that you could mark your base with, rather than actually build floating beacon next to seabases.

Comments

• DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    Yep, def has been a wish of mine for some time. I love the little garden gnome greeting me every time I come home, but it's a little primitive past a certain point.
  • hampus034hampus034 Sweden Join Date: 2016-08-13 Member: 221254Members
    yeah they should in general add more customizable bases. Maybe add mini water filters that you can put on the side of a corridor that produce a bit of oxygen. (if oxygen production is gonna be a thing) Or add solar panels directly on the roof of corridors.
  • SidchickenSidchicken Plumbing the subnautican depths Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213125Members
    This would be cool.
  • CaptainRonCaptainRon Join Date: 2016-07-04 Member: 219569Members
    With all the talk about Cyclops getting attack due to its mechanical noise and base defense, I have a feeling a floating beacon isn't gonna be enough anymore and would definitely love to be able to add on to the base directly as we would a window or reinforcement. Plus it'll be a handy thing to find our outpost and whatnot.

• 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Fathom wrote: »
    HiSaZuL wrote: »
    All that is left is moonpool rotation. Then party like it's 1999.
    And ladders. Got to rotate ladders, too.

• Kyman201Kyman201 Washington State Join Date: 2016-01-23 Member: 211880Members
    Yeah, normally I plonk a floating beacon like underneath the base and rename it "Home", so I can always get back. But a built-in beacon would be great.
    Yea, pretty much what I'm doing. Just feels out of place, lol.
  • scifiwriterguyscifiwriterguy Sector ZZ-9-Plural Z-α Join Date: 2017-02-14 Member: 227901Members
    Kyman201 wrote: »
    Yeah, normally I plonk a floating beacon like underneath the base and rename it "Home", so I can always get back. But a built-in beacon would be great.

Same here, but a built-in beacon (ideally with a unique icon, like the lifepod's) would be outstanding. And shiny! Could you put a strobe on it, too? I'd love to have marker strobes.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members

Same here, but a built-in beacon (ideally with a unique icon, like the lifepod's) would be outstanding. And shiny! Could you put a strobe on it, too? I'd love to have marker strobes.

The moonpool has that built in already, and no real reason for it..
    Yea, donno about all that fancy stuff. Just want to be able to have a built on beacon (like you would a reinforcement panel or window) at my choosing and rename it. Easy, simple, and hopefully implementable.
  • PlacoPlaco Germany Join Date: 2017-03-15 Member: 228959Members
    It would be nice if the communication relais would fullfill this role.
    I did not build any because I thought the one in the Capsule is enough, this however would give it another function. And since it sends out a strong signal I think it would make sense lore-wise.
  • BlackMagicianJDBlackMagicianJD England, UK Join Date: 2017-03-16 Member: 228975Members
    I think a base beacon would be great idea! I think the floating beacons should be battery powered and a target for Stalkers (being floating metal an all) so you'd sometimes find your beacon being moved and end up in a Stalkers scrap pile.
    Placo wrote: »
    It would be nice if the communication relais would fullfill this role.
    I did not build any because I thought the one in the Capsule is enough, this however would give it another function. And since it sends out a strong signal I think it would make sense lore-wise.

Strangely enough, I do build mine inside the diving chamber (as well as one in the moonpool once I find the blueprint and materials to build it) so it definitely makes sense, I was using the beacon as an excuse to be able to bring that concept art to life. :wink:

But yea, adding that function would definitely beat having a floating beacon next to seabases and save those for other locations.
  • ArcticWarriorArcticWarrior Join Date: 2017-01-27 Member: 227305Members
    0x6A7232 wrote: »

No, the moonpool doesn't have a beacon. If you put a vehicle in it, THEN you get a beacon, but it is the vehicle's beacon, not the moonpool's
  • scifiwriterguyscifiwriterguy Sector ZZ-9-Plural Z-α Join Date: 2017-02-14 Member: 227901Members
    0x6A7232 wrote: »

No, the moonpool doesn't have a beacon. If you put a vehicle in it, THEN you get a beacon, but it is the vehicle's beacon, not the moonpool's

Not what he meant. He was referring to the antennas and other bricabrac on top of the moonpool that does nothing other than look techy, and that it could be repurposed by the developers to be the requested beacon. Read back through the deeper quotes for the context. :)
    edited March 2017
    Yea, exactly. Plus it becomes more personal when you name your base from your beacon like you can with the Cyclops, Seamoth, and Exosuit. Obviously there's not gonna be big letters on your base like your vehicles but at least it'll show on the beacon and it becomes a personal attachment/investment. Another reason the floating beacon doesn't do the base justice. :blush:

And to be able to have it earlier on in the game instead of waiting for the moonpool, making that one corridor sexy with antennas. :tongue: