Release & Experimental

pgriffithpgriffith Tasmania Join Date: 2016-08-10 Member: 221147Members
Hi all

Is there a way to have an install of Experimental and the Stable release at the same time. Or an easy way of switching between them ?

Cheers

Comments

• Darwin-EvolutionDarwin-Evolution France Join Date: 2015-06-07 Member: 205310Members
  • pgriffithpgriffith Tasmania Join Date: 2016-08-10 Member: 221147Members
    Seriously.... a video! And one that does nothing to answer my question. :|
  • zetachronzetachron Germany Join Date: 2014-11-14 Member: 199655Members
    A high speed internet connection is your best friend with switching.
  • Darwin-EvolutionDarwin-Evolution France Join Date: 2015-06-07 Member: 205310Members
    What doesn't that answer? 'cause I obviously didn't fully understand your question.
  • SidchickenSidchicken Plumbing the subnautican depths Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213125Members
    @Darwin-Evolution He asked if he can have both at the same time (AFAIK, the answer is NO), or if there's an easy way to switch (As in, not having to go into steam and fiddle with stuff like you do now).

@pgriffith the short answer to your question, to the best of my knowledge, is no. You cannot have both simultaneously and there is no better way to switch between them than what you're already doing.
  • gunmetal563gunmetal563 Join Date: 2015-09-30 Member: 208239Members
    edited August 2016
    it you are already on stable then go to experimental you cant save the game or it becomes an experimental if you make an experimental then go back to stable you may break the game if you try to play the experimental save
    pgriffith wrote: »
    Hi all

Is there a way to have an install of Experimental and the Stable release at the same time. Or an easy way of switching between them ?

Cheers

if what you were asking is if you can have an game save for experimental and stable the answer is yes if your asking if you can install the stable and experimental build at the same time without having to switch....... I don't think so
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited August 2016
    You can...kind of.

Make sure you have the stable public build installed. Then make a copy of the entire Subnautica game folder, and put it somewhere (like the desktop).

Then, switch your steam to [experimental]. You can now start the current stable build from the .exe in that folder you copied, or use the latest experimental build via steam.

Obviously, the stable copy you made wont update when a patch comes out, but you can always switch back to stable from [experimental] and repeat the process.

Hope that helps @pgriffith :smile:
    Right, I get it now. Please excuse me for misunderstanding you @pgriffith
  • pgriffithpgriffith Tasmania Join Date: 2016-08-10 Member: 221147Members
    Thanks Obraxis, might try that and see how I go.

And thanks Darwin, sorry for being a bit harsh :)