Choppy fps on seamoth

rottendrakerottendrake Join Date: 2016-05-25 Member: 217470Members
Hi guys I just wanna ask u guys a question. This confuses me quite a bit since my fps dropped quite significantly to around 35-47 fps when I enter a few specific areas with seamoth. But when i'm on my seaglide (no vehicle), my fps is topped at 70 and it doesn't come down no matter what. I assume this will happen too on cyclops since that was my experience before power nap update. I made new game since and have not obtained cyclops blueprint.

The curious thing is my friend has an amd r9 270x and said to experience no fps drop whatsoever. Though he spent a very short time with a seamoth (he did not know that seamoth is constructed from mobile vehicle bay, he went to fabricator and did not find seamoth so he used seaglide for the majority of the game, nearly all).

My gpu used to be gtx 670 with a 2 gb vram, and subnautica hit that ceiling, so i thought the fps drop must be coming from my vram being capped. Now I had a completely new rig, gtx 1080, 8 gb vram, and it still goes below 60 fps (in a seamoth moreover).

Any1 have the same experience of this kind of fps dive?

Also, I'm experiencing motion sickness from the seamoth, maybe because the fps is choppy but i think mainly because its steering isn't like normal person view. I played a lot of fps and fighter plane games and never experience motion sickness. This is the first time for me

Any1 else having this? I just wish that the devs made the controls a bit more like a normal person view. :(

Comments

• RalijRalij US Join Date: 2016-05-20 Member: 217092Members
    I usually have a bit of a dip here and there with the seamoth, but simply pausing and letting things catch up usually does the trick. I kinda just figured it has to do with the amount of 'chunks' the game loads at once and the seamoth's speed forcing the game to render too many at once. I have no idea if that's the actual issue though.
  • MiralityMirality New Zealand Join Date: 2016-08-05 Member: 221004Members
    There's another thread somewhere which claims that the seamoth's storage module does terrible things to FPS. So if you have one of those, perhaps try removing it?
  • rottendrakerottendrake Join Date: 2016-05-25 Member: 217470Members
    I havent installed any modules at all. The seamoth is mint. There are threads saying things about you having a random chance to get a "performance dive" seamoth, so recreating it should fix it. Tried it, no joy.

The fps drop only occurs when i'm going full speed or turning. Interestingly it never happens on safe shallows and kelp forest, only on grassy plateaus and beyond. Curiously enough it's only behaving like that when i'm in the seamoth.
  • CorBlimeyCorBlimey Big Blue Join Date: 2016-08-14 Member: 221300Members
    edited August 2016
    it sounds like this is just due to loading of chunks: Seamoth = fast (particularly when using the power of Pythagoras can get up 20 m/s) = more chunks to load in a shorter timeframe. The changes to how terrain works in an upcoming patch (not sure when) should fix it for you.

Also I am not sure what you mean about steering as it is exactly the same as without a vehicle for me (WASD, ctrl to descend, space to ascend)
    CorBlimey wrote: »
    it sounds like this is just due to loading of chunks: Seamoth = fast (particularly when using the power of Pythagoras can get up 20 m/s) = more chunks to load in a shorter timeframe. The changes to how terrain works in an upcoming patch (not sure when) should fix it for you.

Also I am not sure what you mean about steering as it is exactly the same as without a vehicle for me (WASD, ctrl to descend, space to ascend)

No, I am referring to the responsiveness of the control of the looks (the way your character's PoV changes) is not synchronized with the seamoth itself. Sometimes you can see left and right of the seamoth a little bit more when you turn. When driving cyclops, it feels a lot more stiff compared to seamoth.

I am pretty sure the devs made it like this on purpose, but for what purpose I do not know. Maybe it's to add realistic feeling when you're driving a submarine. I mean, if a submarine responded immediately to the mouse movement, it will look really hideous on other player's PoV on multiplayer (flippin cyclops? You have got to be kidding me)

Yes, maybe it's the matter of loading speed from the SSD, so it does not matter how fast is your CPU, RAM, or GPU when you're bottlenecked at the SSD itself. My FPS dropped despite my CPU usage being at 43%, my GPU at 24% and my ram is not even breaking a sweat. I have not checked the storage usage, maybe it's 100% capped all the time playing this, I'll check it out and update.
  • EnglishInfidelEnglishInfidel Canada Join Date: 2016-07-04 Member: 219533Members
    Make sure you're playing on recommended settings too, the game is poorly optimised for high graphical settings and I've found even a great rig the game runs like a pig.
    Oh my, i totally forgot about it. You're completely right. Having a new amazing rig made me a complete arrogant and ignorant fool to even forget to kick the settings down a notch. I'll try it and post the update. Thanks a lot for the input!

As for the storage usage i mentioned earlier, there is no way to track the disk usage for now. I'll try downloading hd-tune (hdd and ssd utility tool) and track the usage.
    So uh, turning the settings down seems to help the most. My SSD is not even fully occupied by this game. Now I'm running at a constant 47-80 fps, which is an amount i can definitely tolerate. There are times when it nosedive to 15-20 fps but that's just for a very short while
  • jrose78jrose78 MA Join Date: 2016-08-17 Member: 221437Members
    edited August 2016
    Check this out... i5 CPU running @ 4ghz| 16gb ram | 1TB Samsung ssd | GTX 1080 | running at 1440 res and I went down to 6 fps.. yes 6 fps. not optimized I get ... but this .. this is a whole new ballpark. what on earth could be causing that? the game was on recommended video settings..

The thing is no mans sky took a lot of heat over framerate and yet subnautica as it stands right now is actually worse. This has me concerned . like the game engine is over stressed and you know what they say when the foundation is bad.
    is it after PRAWN update? I myself have played some time but my FPS isnt that horrible. Yes it is choppy a bit when entering kelp forest (it's a lot more beautiful now btw) and when i jerked suddenly but that's all
  • jrose78jrose78 MA Join Date: 2016-08-17 Member: 221437Members
    edited August 2016
    Yes, it was after the PRAWN update and its not low like that all the time. I think its around 40-80 fps. Maybe g-sync is messing with it? Who knows but 6 FPS is like mind blown and lets not talk about that tree forest. I have commodore games that load quicker ;-) .