Floating Bases

DagothUrDagothUr Florida Join Date: 2016-07-12 Member: 220125Members
The vehicle builder floats and has a little ladder on it with a "CLIMB UP" button, so we've got the hard part done. All that needs to be done is to make two new items:

Floating Foundation: Just like a regular foundation but thicker and with pontoons underneath for buoyancy (I'm thinking 6 titanium + 2 rubber per panel). Instead of "snapping" to the sea floor it snaps to the surface. Otherwise functions exactly like a regular foundation.

Pool Ladders: Attach these to the outer edge of a floating foundation to make climbing onto them more practical. Works just like the moonpool ladders.

And we're done!

Why build a floating seabase instead of an underwater one? Well, let's see: Maximum solar power generation, no fear of being damaged by monsters, and you can grow food crops in external planters. Also you no longer need to worry about Hull Integrity. And you can build it anywhere - no more desperate searching for thermal vents once you stray out of the shallows.

Comments

• Yargish89Yargish89 new mexico usa Join Date: 2016-05-27 Member: 217575Members
    edited July 2016
    I posted a similar idea with the old crash debris with all the room and turning them into a base with possible connecting them a while ago before the update
  • SlackerstuSlackerstu Join Date: 2016-05-24 Member: 217432Members
    A houseboat. Cool idea unless you surface sometime to find its wandered off like the pod. I think it would have to be size limited plus have a minor propulsion of its own. I really hope that after the stability concerns are fixed they have some time to add features like these to the builder. Most of my fun so far is building in great places and it would add a lot to the game for me.
  • DagothUrDagothUr Florida Join Date: 2016-07-12 Member: 220125Members
    Y'know, I've never had a pod drift away. *shrug*
  • SlackerstuSlackerstu Join Date: 2016-05-24 Member: 217432Members
    only in one save game for me and I have now had many. it would start to wander very slowly and I was building so usually I'd notice and all you have to do it seem was to go touch it once, outside or in it would "remind it" and very slowly creep back to the spawn point. Once it get as far as the 0º border area and I jumped into my seamoth and raced out there to get it successfully but travels very very slow by itself so i pushed it back and anchored it into my base.
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    The Lifepod drifts the most when the game is paused, i find. Stand in your lifepod and pause the game. Leave it paused for 30-45 mins then resume the game :wink:
  • RichieCRichieC Mars Join Date: 2016-07-14 Member: 220235Members
    The pod will drift back to it's anchor point if moved. I found this out after pushing my lifepod with the Cyclops to Mountain island to watch it start slowly drifting back until I pushed it back and built a base around it.
  • RichieCRichieC Mars Join Date: 2016-07-14 Member: 220235Members
    OT a bit, if you want to have a wild ride, open the habitat builder, select the ladder and swing the ghost model all around. The ghost ladder will push the lifepod around. You can lift the lifepod from the outside using the foundation ghost too. :)