My Subnautica dream

DactylosDactylos United States Join Date: 2016-07-11 Member: 220055Members
So, last night I had a dream. I was diving down... following the ocean floor deeper and deeper. It looked like the dunes biome, but in much deeper water. So deep that the light had started to fail... leading me into inky blackness.

Then I saw strange shapes along the sandy ocean bottom. Ruined metal structures. And beyond them, what looked like tanker ships. Lying on their sides, upright, and upside down in a pile. Unlike the structures, they looked rather intact. So I started swimming towards them.

As I approached, I saw something in my peripheral vision. Something huge... something alive. Whatever it was, I didn't want to mess with it. So I went to the closest tanker ship and slipped inside.

Strangely enough, the interior of the tanker did not have water in it. Though it was oxygenless, like a base without power. And as if reacting to my presence... as soon as I got inside I could hear the hiss of hull ruptures... and the interior began filling up with water. I took out my welder, and started to look for the ruptures. But I couldn't find them... as the water level got higher and higher... and I noticed I was rapidly running out of oxygen.

Deciding this was a lost cause, I made my way to the top deck and exited the ship. Only to see that thing once more. It had swam up alongside the tanker... as if it could sense my presence. The railing and the walls of the forecastle hid me from its eyes... but I could see its mouth. A huge, pale maw of teeth... surrounded by tentacles.

Needless to say, I about faced back into the tanker. Driven by desperation, I did a second search for the ruptures. This one made more difficult by the fact that the water had flooded the inside of the ship, deadening the hiss of the water. But faced with suffocation, or the unknown horror outside, I'd face the former.

Then I remembered... even though the ruptures had fully flooded the interior, they still made that hiss for some reason. And sure enough, following the sounds led me to the ruptures I'd missed... and I was able to weld them closed.

The hull integrity restored... the automated systems in the ship began to pump out the water. And with the absence of water in the interior... the ship began to rise. Faster and faster, out of those inky depths. It crested the ocean surface like some giant metal whale... and then I woke up.

Comments