Alien commo rose menu

BicsumBicsum Join Date: 2012-02-27 Member: 147596Members, Reinforced - Gold
edited July 2016 in Ideas and Suggestions
Hi,

in order to improve alien team play, I'd like to suggest adding a better communication system. At the moment, the only ways to communicate with your team is via text chat, voice chat and the middle mouse ping.

Text chat commands are too slow, voice chat commands may go under in stressful situations and the ping doesn't give you any info on what to do.

To improve this, I'm thinking of a combination of the exclamation mark (middle mouse) ping and a commo rose menu.
As a field player, you would open your (c)map, hold middle mouse to get your mouse cursor and release it on a spot on the map. This would open a basic commo rose menu, like this:

trsejnp60lfk.png

After chosing the desired action (ambush/rush/defend/stall/avoid), you would get a visible 10 meter circle on the (c)map and in game on the ground (like the ARC range circle for marine comms) that lasts for ~10 seconds.

A nice-to-have feature would be to announce assistance, by clicking on an allied circle, which would also be visible on the (c)map.

i9l54ezhrwl8.jpg
(the red part says "ambush" and "1x skulk icon")

On the map you would see: the action type, the radius and the commited players (e.g.: 2x skulks (icons), 1x lerk (icon))

Of course this commo rose would also work outside the minimap, by just holding middle mouse to open the commo rose menu, with your crosshair as your targeted area.

Ideally this would lead to better communication without the need to spam the voice chat, and thereby better team play.

Comments

• The_Welsh_WizardThe_Welsh_Wizard Join Date: 2013-09-10 Member: 188101Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Lol Bicsum... Another simple and easy but great idea to improve overall game quality on Pubs. That there is some Way to respond to it for a player is very important there imo, you can see who and what lifeforms would be assisting, would help pack playing which is atm non existent on Pubs.
  • RevanCoranaRevanCorana Join Date: 2015-08-14 Member: 207125Members
    Would it be nice? yes
    Would it be useful? no, people ignore map markers anway
  • .trixX..trixX. Budapest Join Date: 2007-10-11 Member: 62605Members
    Would it be nice? yes
    Would it be useful? no, people ignore map markers anway

Erm... what map markers? :P
    But yeah, it would be best if those markers appeared like waypoints for marines!
  • RevanCoranaRevanCorana Join Date: 2015-08-14 Member: 207125Members
    edited July 2016
    The alien comm already has threat, heal and expand markers and I can tell from experience 99% players don't notice them. x)
  • BicsumBicsum Join Date: 2012-02-27 Member: 147596Members, Reinforced - Gold
    edited July 2016
    Yeah, those alien comm markers just down right suck.

Not only do they not tell you what to do, they also appear like useless UI clutter, because it blends in color wise. You don't even know if the information is still relevant, because it stays forever unless it's touched (correct me if I'm wrong).

Another thing is that the alien commander can not make proper decisions on what to do, because he's lacking the information and time to do so. You can not expect an alien commander to know where all the marines are and properly set ambushes.

It's the job of the field commander / alien field players to organize themselves most of the time.

The alien commander may also have the commo rose menu though.

These proposed circles should really be visible on the ground with the according action type color.
  • .trixX..trixX. Budapest Join Date: 2007-10-11 Member: 62605Members
    The alien comm already has threat, heal and expand markers and I can tell from experience 99% players don't notice them. x)

My point exactly :D
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Just because people don't use the current form of alerts, does not mean they will not use ones like described in the OP. We actually have no way of knowing if they will.
    I think what was shown in the OP was much more visible, tactical, and clear on what action should be taken. I think it would be very helpful for rookies and veterans.

Can you imagine a really good comm making really good use of this making calls?
  • MephillesMephilles Germany Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186634Members, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    @Bicsum do you have the time and knowledge to do a mod for that which also includes the minimap improvements for marines you suggested a while ago
  • BicsumBicsum Join Date: 2012-02-27 Member: 147596Members, Reinforced - Gold
    edited July 2016
    I've started like 6 different lua mods and I've finished none of them. I get too easily distracted, like when I'm posting suggestions in this forum, while I actually should be working.

My coding skills are limited. I can change some values or disable functions, but creating something new is hard. I always end up searching hundreds of lua files to give me ideas on where to start, but then lose interest, because playing > coding.