New biome idea with a special characteristic

SwivelSwivel China Join Date: 2015-12-26 Member: 210374Members
Hey everyone,
So I’ve played the game for a while I noticed that the game did not take long to beat meaning to the point where you’re just waiting for next update due to skill level not very high, also the character relies too heavily on technology to help him survive, which led me to a biome idea.

My idea is that there could be a biome that shuts down anything electrical upon passing the boundary of the biome, this could be due to biome having minerals that produce waves similar effect to an EMP, this means cyclops, sea moth, torch, stasis rifle etc wouldn’t work upon entering the biome, forcing player to navigate by swimming, this encourages player to use their ears more to be alert of their surroundings as they no longer have the protection of cyclops and radar or a stasis rifle to get them out of situations. Obviously the torch wont be working in this biome, so I came up with an idea that there could be a plant only found in that biome that produces light, to give player a way to navigate the terrain.

Also I was thinking that this biome would be rich in minerals i.e. quartz, gold, copper etc to persuade player to go and take a risk in order to get the reward. Also this would be a good opportunity for devs to tease players of an upcoming giant monster i.e. with a roar in the distance the is very unique or a tail or glowing eye in the distance…. Just to peak their curiosity a little bit.

I came with a name for the biome called ‘No Mans Land’

Feel free to suggest anything else!

Comments

• SwivelSwivel China Join Date: 2015-12-26 Member: 210374Members
    edited July 2016
    Well done, i never thought someone would design a crafting recipe that quickly!!

Anyway, i was thinking since apart from the one plant that we have created, i feel like we need more plants particularly hostile ones, as i like the idea of this being a hostile environment where everything living is there to have you as a food source. As this biome is in a very deep place, i'd like to think anything that isn't found in safe shallows is there to kill you and not just creatures, plants too.

I've an idea for a plant which makes the environment more hostile i.e. a carnivorous plant, one that lures fish and player, similar to some type of deep sea fish that uses a light bulb to lure fish, it could be applied here where the bulb and stem holding it is designed to look like the Solter vines to fool players who aren't paying attention. And when they go up to it to grab it, the sides or 'lips' come up and trap the prey and digest it. Of course if you have a knife, you can cut yr way out, but otherwise, u ded. Obviously everyone would be able to tell its not a normal Solter vine if its entire body it sticking out of the ground, so i was thinking what if it was hidden in the ground with only its stem and bulb sticking of ground and 'lips' lying flat on side partially covered by dirt but its outline can still be recognizable.

Like this

RafflesiaSumatra1.jpg

Except where the hole is where the stem and bulb will pop out and mimic a Solter Vine. The 'lips' are like the 4 petals on side which will fold up once player tries to harvest the bulb.
    Obviously it wont be bright red but sorta in my opinion dark blueish grey to match the deep sea theme of subnautica

• SigmalxSigmalx USA Join Date: 2016-07-12 Member: 220132Members
    this may be a stretch as the biome presented is supposed to be cold, but pockets of intense geothermal activity could form spots where the current of the static ore is weakest, and electronics work within a ~50m range of the vent(s). the only drawback is a shrimp like creature that buries itself in the loose silt nearby, and waits for prey to ambush. you'll know it either by its elongated tail like protrusion, or its bioluminescent sail on its back to lure prey in. this creature would be bigger than a sea moth, but not entirely able to harm it, imagine the only way to harm your seamoth is for you to drive close enough to alert a creature, where it will burst from the ground and try to impale your seamoth. safety is hard to come by in the no-mans-land, why should the only place of refuge from the cold and electronic scrambling frequency be safe from predators, fish rely on their magnetic senses, if they get disrupted they will seek a way to reorganize themselves, when they feel the lull and safety near the deep ocean vents, they are only left as a predator's lunch.

that'd be another trait of this area, a lack of fish.

anyway recipes: some of the ore that's been refine can be used with tools to make magprotected electronics, and on vehicles would take up a gear slot. hey, its one less thing on your seamoth, but hey you get to keep it going in this environment.

one of the geological phenomenon that could exist here, are spires built up by geothermal activity with tons of the static ore; could be a hazard when two are close enough the current can connect between the spires, creating a lightning fence that even with the upgrade will shut down vehicles and electronics, or kill the player if they don't have an insulated suit.
  • JamezorgJamezorg United Kingdom Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216788Members
    jak_fr wrote: »
    Also how do you breathe...?

I knew I was forgetting something! I had an idea for pockets of air inside small caves to form in NML, but decided against it because if they only formed in the walls, they would be few and VERY far between. So with some lithium, creepvine samples and seed clusters you can make yourself a sort of pipe. You can bury this pipe into small plants that run along the walls and floor of the biome called Oxy-Bulbs. They should be slightly luminescent and look like blown up, light blue balloons. You can suck oxygen through your pipe and out of the Oxy-Bulbs. There is, however, a plant that looks almost identical, apart from a small purple flicker from inside every five seconds, called the Acid-Bulb. If you suck the "oxygen" out of this one, you'd be ingesting some rather unpleasant chemicals, resulting in unwary survivor's deaths. :)
    Sigmalx wrote: »
    one of the geological phenomenon that could exist here, are spires built up by geothermal activity with tons of the static ore; could be a hazard when two are close enough the current can connect between the spires, creating a lightning fence that even with the upgrade will shut down vehicles and electronics, or kill the player if they don't have an insulated suit.

That sounds AMAZING! We could include this in your inventory, too; you may only carry three pieces of Static Ore at a time, lest you want to take periodic damage for however long you have more. And maybe if just two bits of Static Ore are close in the wild, they create a small amount of static electricity between them (it wont do any damage, it might just look cool). I really want this biome to be the place where only the best can survive. You don't have ready-made Torgaljin assets like the base parts or the subs to help you anymore; you're on your own. You're sucking the oxygen out of plants, your using plants and vines as a torch, everything that you have used up to this point cannot be used to gather the materials to upgrade themselves to their full potential. You're on your own. Many trips must be made back and forth to unlock the true endgame (3 is enough to create small things, like resistant seaglide, and so on)
    Also, as soon as you said electric fence I thought "base defence". So, let's make electric fences a thing. :)

some natural fauna would be shockers and shock fish of kinds.
    Imagine a stone fish with Static Ore erupting from its sides, and when it gets too close to another one of its kind they link in a chain of lightning. That would be awesome! :smiley:
    Jamezorg wrote: »
    Imagine a stone fish with Static Ore erupting from its sides, and when it gets too close to another one of its kind they link in a chain of lightning. That would be awesome! :smiley:

no imagine a school of these things

Oh my god, they would light up No Man's Land like it was the Fourth of July.

Jamezorg wrote: »

Oh my god, they would light up No Man's Land like it was the Fourth of July.

okay, if one is distressed it will discharge itself and flee as the thing is disorientated or killed, then in a group, just a flash of white as if one goes off or dies, they all go off
    edited July 2016
    Oh, the word discharge gave me an idea. Since the Static Ore is a part of these guys' anatomy, it only makes sense for them to be able to turn the electricity off and on. Sorry, just thought of that :)

I think we've just created a zone with materials, creatures, plantlife, that is challenging, unique and has a leviathan!
    the rockerpuncher could mainly dwell here. the water would be a deep purple grey and the area would dwell about 500m-1200m deep
    Oh my god, I was going to say that earlier but I said "nah, people don't want terraforming stuff anymore!" I had this idea for a cave system that's just in the rocks around No Man's Land and there's only a few small entrances to get into the evergrowing Rockpuncher caves :)
    hey, lets have an open collab of things we can create in a dedicated document folder somewhere?
    That sounds like a pretty cool idea :)
    Swivel wrote: »
    Hey everyone,
    So I’ve played the game for a while I noticed that the game did not take long to beat meaning to the point where you’re just waiting for next update due to skill level not very high, also the character relies too heavily on technology to help him survive, which led me to a biome idea.

My idea is that there could be a biome that shuts down anything electrical upon passing the boundary of the biome, this could be due to biome having minerals that produce waves similar effect to an EMP, this means cyclops, sea moth, torch, stasis rifle etc wouldn’t work upon entering the biome, forcing player to navigate by swimming, this encourages player to use their ears more to be alert of their surroundings as they no longer have the protection of cyclops and radar or a stasis rifle to get them out of situations. Obviously the torch wont be working in this biome, so I came up with an idea that there could be a plant only found in that biome that produces light, to give player a way to navigate the terrain.

Also I was thinking that this biome would be rich in minerals i.e. quartz, gold, copper etc to persuade player to go and take a risk in order to get the reward. Also this would be a good opportunity for devs to tease players of an upcoming giant monster i.e. with a roar in the distance the is very unique or a tail or glowing eye in the distance…. Just to peak their curiosity a little bit.

I came with a name for the biome called ‘No Mans Land’

Feel free to suggest anything else!

would you allow us to use this idea and improve further privately?
    Yeah sure but pls include me!
    Not being rude or anything but i dont wanna be left out!
    so where we wanna do this? (what place to store files)
    TBH, theres no point improving it when the devs cant see it as they're the people who will decide whether to implement it or not. Unless ur planning on posting the finished product here
    I mean, a dedicated post here but we can build a gallery and concept group in a folder and when we feel it is complete, we can post everything.
    this may be a stretch as the biome presented is supposed to be cold, but pockets of intense geothermal activity could form spots where the current of the static ore is weakest, and electronics work within a ~50m range of the vent(s).

that'd be another trait of this area, a lack of fish.

anyway recipes: some of the ore that's been refine can be used with tools to make magprotected electronics, and on vehicles would take up a gear slot. hey, its one less thing on your seamoth, but hey you get to keep it going in this environment.

I feel like if we include the ability for player to craft something that will protect them from the effects of the biome, then that will counter the idea behind this biome, cuz it means difficulty level will drop. The whole point of this biome is that technology is rendered useless in this biome, meaning its out of the picture, And the only thing you can rely on is yr alertness, your ability to use resources to yr advantage such as using the only light source avaible which is the Solter Bulbs and your computer possibly not crashing when ur getting chased by something.

In addition, i think if we were to have those stonefish link up to together to form a swarm, it'll be heavily unused as stonefish can easily camouflage themselves into the rocks of NML since they're built to look like stone, i don't think they would be easily spotted in such dark conditions.

Also the phantom leviathan wouldn't be a very effective hunter if it has an extremely bright body in this extremely dark place where. Any fish that leviathan lives on would be able to spot the leviathan a mile away and have ample time to swim and hide. So it would be better to have the creature have the ability to switch off its light and only display it to intimidate or when its about to go for the kill.

I may be going to far, but just applying earths nature logic, these creatures would've adapted to this environment through generations of living in such dark cold conditions, meaning any creatures adapted to this place would've know to use the darkness to their advantage i.e. camoflauge, ambushing, using small caves to surprise prey etc unless ur planning to be a beacon of light and be a target to every single carnivore in that biome.

Sorry if i shot some of your ideas down. But this is what i see when imagined this biome, where its a cold dark place and the players have nothing to rely on except the basic survival skills.

hey, that's development of an area right
    Which also begs the question why would ANYONE want to come to this place if its so scary and and risky. Well obviously as i mentioned before, there is the risk vs reward however, its just that its higher than other biomes thats all.

So if you were able to pass all these challenges, you will be rewarded with unique resources only found in that biome, such as the shards mentioned before however they need to be a bit further in the biome as we cant have players going to the edge of the biome, pick a few shards then leave.

And also as a player, you get to experience an atmosphere that you probably never will experience in real life (unless you're a scientist and periodically with a sub, dive deep into the ocean).

And finally, you also get to experience that feeling of paranoia or fear, where every step could be your last in that biome as every creature is so well camoflauged.
    yep/ if the lurker is found here, bioluminescent markings, sail and (urine/semen) marking fluid for territory control. can give it away, but in the darkness, you see the light, without most electronics your tempted to go to the light
    What if there was a species of fish that uses swarm tactics instead of some camouflaging techniques as a defense mechanism, as what i have in mind is that these fish will be at near bottom food chain where they eat plants and are the main food source for other creatures
    could be also the solter bulbs are the only edible part of the plant, and more grow at the bottom away from the vents than on the vine.
    fucking what, the seafloor of subnautica is 3000m deep... like really, I never expected to reach the bottom... this could be no mans land, maybe an extremely rare pressure compensator could allow for such a depth. *low whistle* its like we described... sort of. this could be interesting