Nerfed Lantern Fruit

Invisigoth247Invisigoth247 USA Join Date: 2016-03-06 Member: 213934Members
Changeset 35053
http://subnautica.unknownworlds.com/#/subnautica/checkins

They nerfed lantern fruit to 5 food 3 water.

I kinda like the idea because it was OP. I also saw somewhere where they said they were going to have food variety be a requirement.

But what I am wondering is if they will add craftable nutrient blocks. Seems like just starting out with 2 in the escape pod would mean that it could be a thing you could make to make long expeditions easier. Of course, this should not be made immediately available and be a sort of end-game food. Maybe found in a wreck that was a part of the Aurora's mess hall or something or a survival locker.

Comments

• EnglishInfidelEnglishInfidel Canada Join Date: 2016-07-04 Member: 219533Members
    edited July 2016
    I don't mind, once you have a few lantern fruits about your base you never have to eat or drink anything else.

They were indeed OP.

Oh and yeah, making nutrient blocks would be nice so you can take one along on a long scouting mission.
  • CeepsCeeps Join Date: 2005-01-23 Member: 37626Members
    I still preserve many fish and get water despite having lantern fruit.
  • FathomFathom Earth Join Date: 2016-07-01 Member: 219405Members
    They should increase growth and reproduction durations to several times the nutritional value the resulting food will give. That way you would have to actually invest resources and space into farms if you want to avoid depleting the environment of wild fish.
  • CoranthCoranth Join Date: 2015-06-02 Member: 205160Members
    35041 /main/xbox patch 3/xbox optimization 2016-07-21 16:33:18 Max McGuire Added testing command to destroy the escape pod

Oh, crap...
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    Coranth wrote: »
    35041 /main/xbox patch 3/xbox optimization 2016-07-21 16:33:18 Max McGuire Added testing command to destroy the escape pod

Oh, crap...

!!!!
  • LonnehartLonnehart Guam Join Date: 2016-06-20 Member: 218816Members
    Coranth wrote: »

Oh, crap...

Yep. Just like I thought. At some point (preferably ASAP) you will HAVE to build your seabase, which for me is priority one. After witnessing my pod drift far away toward Reaper territory despite the repaired gravity anchor...
  • WarViperWarViper Texas Join Date: 2016-04-27 Member: 216062Members
    Well its about time. A single lantern fruit tree is currently all I ever need to survive forever without fear of starving or dehydration and provide infinite fuel for a bio reactor.
  • JB940JB940 Join Date: 2016-07-14 Member: 220248Members
    I don't mind either. I think they were too good at what they did. They should probably also nerf alien containment breeding speed though. However much I used Lantern fruit at base for quick snacks, 8 fish from an alien containment are way more reliable food. While it takes a bit more to set up an alien containment (I don't see crafting as "effort"), it's not on par with how much reward it gives. Fish breeding was already Lantern fruit x10, but it was slightly harder to get. Now it's totally out of proportion.
  • DumaDuma Oklahoma Join Date: 2016-02-02 Member: 212475Members
    I always got the impression that filling up on lantern fruit did not last as long as eating cooked/cured fish. So I have kept Chinese Potato plants as well as Lantern Trees. Fill up on potatos, top off liquids with lantern fruit.
  • SidchickenSidchicken Plumbing the subnautican depths Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213125Members
    @JB940 I'm not sure what you're getting on about there. A nice healthy fish, like a reginald gets you 45 food and maybe 5 water, assuming you cook it instead of salting it. A lantern fruit was 13 food and 10 water IIRC. That made it really easy to stay hydrated on fruit. And they could be planted on-board the cyclops and therefore travel anywhere, unlike a containment unit, which requires a base. So yes it's possible to sustain yourself with fish - you'd have to breed airsacks or also have a filtration machine to reliably have water - but the lantern fruit were just all-around easier. Nothing to catch, hardly anything to build, no fabricator use necessary. Just grab & replenish.
  • scubamattscubamatt Georgia, USA Join Date: 2016-05-22 Member: 217295Members
    The thing that makes the Lantern Fruit OP is not the stats of the individual fruit, its the fact that there is no downtime for harvest/replenishment. With the Marblemelon (which has best food/water ratio of any plant) there is the wait while it grows and then you have to replant it. With the Lantern Fruit tree, once it grows and matures, it has a bunch of fruit on it, and they regrow long before you need any more of them.
  • sayerulzsayerulz oregon Join Date: 2015-04-15 Member: 203493Members
    scubamatt wrote: »
    The thing that makes the Lantern Fruit OP is not the stats of the individual fruit, its the fact that there is no downtime for harvest/replenishment. With the Marblemelon (which has best food/water ratio of any plant) there is the wait while it grows and then you have to replant it. With the Lantern Fruit tree, once it grows and matures, it has a bunch of fruit on it, and they regrow long before you need any more of them.

Yea, reducing the speed that they grow at would have been a better idea. Just reducing their value is either not going the change anything or make them worthless.
  • DurzannDurzann France Join Date: 2016-07-04 Member: 219575Members
    this changement is not really usefull : ///

They will just put off the problem, and now, it will be more boring :

Player can survive with 1 lantern tree. Now, he will just plant 4 lantern tree (or use another OP fruit) and he will never need fish/filtrer.

Ok, it's painfull , when you stay in your base and, after a short time, you need to get out for farm fish/airsack for water/food. It's good to let the player be independant with hunger/thirst. But yeah, fruit are actually too OP, free food and water, nerf this is a very good idea, here is, for me, a better nerf :

_ Fruit give less food, and no longer water. With that, filtrer machine will be usefull, the player can continue to be indepedant in his base, but he will spend some energy for create water. In the cyclops, he can only have fruit with him, but he can easely farm water from the filtration machine and stack it in his cyclops.
  • JB940JB940 Join Date: 2016-07-14 Member: 220248Members
    Sidchicken wrote: »
    @JB940 I'm not sure what you're getting on about there. A nice healthy fish, like a reginald gets you 45 food and maybe 5 water, assuming you cook it instead of salting it. A lantern fruit was 13 food and 10 water IIRC. That made it really easy to stay hydrated on fruit. And they could be planted on-board the cyclops and therefore travel anywhere, unlike a containment unit, which requires a base. So yes it's possible to sustain yourself with fish - you'd have to breed airsacks or also have a filtration machine to reliably have water - but the lantern fruit were just all-around easier. Nothing to catch, hardly anything to build, no fabricator use necessary. Just grab & replenish.
    https://steamcommunity.com/app/264710/discussions/0/359543951718678900/
    I suggest reading the comments there. It literally takes my 5 seconds at the fabricator to get food /water for a few hours. If people want to use 'OP fruits' it's their choice. You don't have to do that if you think it's cheap. I've always thought Lantern trees were a mid tier food source. Good for in base, but as soon as I got some materials I'll be living off fish.

As said in the thread - it's something about progress. Now I can go exploring and bring food that actually works.

I like the idea of having a penalty below 50 food, so you can't just travel out there till food hits 0 and come back.
  • ZeddIsDeadZeddIsDead Australia Join Date: 2016-04-21 Member: 216029Members
    Even with reduced food/water value, it can still be your sole food source pretty easily. Plants taking weeks to grow fruit would be both realistic and better balance imo... Still, at least now it's more in line with the other plants on space:food ratio.
  • Calarand77Calarand77 lurking in general forums Join Date: 2016-01-22 Member: 211786Members
    I think what the game needs is some sort of heavy penalty system for eating the same thing for extended periods of time. Eat one type of fruit for two-three days? Boom, your stomach rebels causing severe dehydration and you are losing health all of a sudden. Eat only one type of fish? The minuscule amount of toxin X in the fish meat accumulates causing your vision to blur. Eat only fish and no fruit or vice-versa? You don't have enough vitamins/microelements in your system to be able to walk and swim.

I know from my own example that only reducing a given food's effectiveness or introducing rewards for varied diet is not going to work. I'll just plant more trees and ignore the bonus. With penalties like my simple examples above, however, I would actually have to be more mindful of the food, and that would create an interesting and realistic (yet not annoying) challenge for gameplay.
  • DagothUrDagothUr Florida Join Date: 2016-07-12 Member: 220125Members
    Just be glad you landed on a planet with right-hand DNA.
  • CaptainRonCaptainRon Join Date: 2016-07-04 Member: 219569Members
    I'm fine with this as long as they fixed the respawn rate on the fishes... I played a game without taking a single fish because the game I was in before, my base was void of life. Didn't like that one bit... so as soon as I made my knife, tank, flippers, and a scanner... I swam for the floater island to grab a fruit and scan the interior growbed. Came back to my preferred spot for my base, built a habitual builder and started my first multi-room then growing the lantern fruit right away.
  • GC13GC13 Texas Join Date: 2016-07-08 Member: 219829Members
    scubamatt wrote: »
    The reason I use lantern fruit over marble melon is ease of use, not speed of growth or anything. If they nerfed the lantern tree's regrowth speed into the ground I'd be fine: I'd just plant more trees! Anything to stop me from having to grab three fruits, break open the third, open up the planter interface, and move three seeds over. Ugh.

I switched over to fruit from fish in the first place because it's a lot easier to walk up to a tree, grab food, and eat until you're full than it is to swim into a tank, catch a fish or two, swim into a different tank, grab an airsack or two, go to a fabricator, and prepare them. Making fruit unviable doesn't make the game any harder, it makes it less convenient by forcing me back to the setup I was able to make super early. (Sure, I won't be able to make my fish farms until I get the blueprint for the multipurpose room once that update hits, while the trees would always be available, but that just makes me hunt for longer.)

If the developers want to balance fruit, then give them a power draw (grow lights, a watering and fertilization system, something!) and make all of them as user-friendly as the lantern fruit is. I just want to walk up to a plant and take my food, confident that it can continue its regrowth on its own (just like my fish farms).
  • Subject_0000905Subject_0000905 USA Join Date: 2016-07-24 Member: 220606Members
    how do you fire torpedos on xbox one?
  • sayerulzsayerulz oregon Join Date: 2015-04-15 Member: 203493Members

You post a silly question in a thread that has nothing to do with it.
  • FathomFathom Earth Join Date: 2016-07-01 Member: 219405Members
    If they reduce the size of the fruit in the inventory from 4 to 2 or 1 square it'll be balanced. You will just have to clean the tree of fruits to sate yourself instead of picking a few. In the end, it's no biggie.
  • dealwithitdogdealwithitdog Texas Join Date: 2016-06-09 Member: 218343Members
    sayerulz wrote: »

You post a silly question in a thread that has nothing to do with it.

We've all derailed threads before. Replying only furthers the derail. (Yes I know that's what I'M doing.)
  • gunmetal563gunmetal563 Join Date: 2015-09-30 Member: 208239Members
    889nfamt6zmw.jpg
    B) thought it already was nerfed lol B)B)B)B)
  • CryleveCryleve U.S Join Date: 2016-07-06 Member: 219723Members

Just why