Fragments...

ThomasGideonThomasGideon USA Join Date: 2016-07-06 Member: 219745Members
I personally feel that fragments would be more interesting if you had to collect each shape, instead of being able to scan the same kind of piece multiple times.

It would feel a bit more logical, and extend the fragment hunt part of the game, at least. They could be scattered a bit more widely, encouraging more exploration (and tension by forcing you in to dangerous areas). You could even hide one of the fragments for each recipe in special locations, such as wrecks. This would certainly make getting the Cyclops together (9 total fragments) feel like a major accomplishment.

As it is, once you know the area (either through experience or the internet) it feels more like a chore where you go from A to B to C collecting the parts in rapid succession.

Comments

• Invisigoth247Invisigoth247 USA Join Date: 2016-03-06 Member: 213934Members
    They are already kinda going to do that. Instead of fragment "cubes" they are adding damaged tech, though they will most likely all be similar shapes and I don't think you have to find specific shaped pieces. Also, the tech will be in wrecks and not just lying around randomly.

Follow the Trello pages to see what they are working on:

https://trello.com/b/yxoJrFgP/subnautica-development
    http://subnautica.unknownworlds.com/#/subnautica/checkins
  • yomamayomama On the freeway Join Date: 2016-04-17 Member: 215861Members
    I believe they have different pieces of the seamoth, if I remember correctly...Although I think that you don't actually have to scan each distinct part to get it, can acquire by scanning the same section parts multiple times.
    yomama wrote: »
    I believe they have different pieces of the seamoth, if I remember correctly...Although I think that you don't actually have to scan each distinct part to get it, can acquire by scanning the same section parts multiple times.

Yep, and also the Cyclops has different pieces now.
    @Squeal_Like_A_Pig
    Cool, so pretty much what I thought. Am I correct in thinking that they will be dispersed in wrecks and not just lying around on the ground?
  • ComicalSkateComicalSkate Canada, ON Join Date: 2015-05-28 Member: 204993Members
    I don't see a reason for having to find the multiple pieces to piece them together. You are scanning the pieces to gather information on how to craft the device yourself, so all you need to do to finish up collecting all the info you need is just to keep scanning bits of the tech. It would not matter to have the different ones.
  • TotalologistTotalologist Norwich, UK. Join Date: 2016-04-05 Member: 215379Members
    @Invisigoth247 Last I read they are going with a half and half type approach. Fragments concentrated at wrecks, and also some scattered around biomes.

Personally I think it is for the best, when they are scattered around it encourages exploration of more than just 7 or 8 small areas.
  • TIEbomber1967TIEbomber1967 California Join Date: 2015-09-23 Member: 208109Members
    I don't see a reason for having to find the multiple pieces to piece them together. You are scanning the pieces to gather information on how to craft the device yourself, so all you need to do to finish up collecting all the info you need is just to keep scanning bits of the tech. It would not matter to have the different ones.
    Right...
    With your handy scanner you can figure out how to make a car, just by scanning four tires.
    Different pieces, please.
  • FathomFathom Earth Join Date: 2016-07-01 Member: 219405Members
    This will make hunting for fragments more difficult as we will have to memorize more than one pattern to recognize or just keep sweeping the seabed with an active scanner.
  • WarViperWarViper Texas Join Date: 2016-04-27 Member: 216062Members
    Fathom wrote: »
    This will make hunting for fragments more difficult as we will have to memorize more than one pattern to recognize or just keep sweeping the seabed with an active scanner.

Fragments are also getting moved to be inside or around the wrecks. It should make finding certain blue prints easier if they always spawn at certain wrecks.
  • FathomFathom Earth Join Date: 2016-07-01 Member: 219405Members
    WarViper wrote: »
    Fathom wrote: »

Fragments are also getting moved to be inside or around the wrecks. It should make finding certain blue prints easier if they always spawn at certain wrecks.
    Wasn't a complaint, just a statement.
  • Yargish89Yargish89 new mexico usa Join Date: 2016-05-27 Member: 217575Members
    Squeal_Like_A_Pig looks like a fun way to make it a survival part of the game but if thats the normal battery man is that gonna be a pain to find in a life pod maybe a fresh battery in the box you drop then scan because sounds more like a real life pod lol great work so far dude gonna be fun to see more of it ^^
  • ChudovishChudovish Ru Join Date: 2016-07-01 Member: 219418Members
    So far our hero were silent. If it will be the concept, there no more to discuss - just scan it!
    But if he\she comment what he\she just done it will be awesome. Like that:
    [Just scanned damaged laser cutter] Damn, battery module looks like shit! Need to find another one...
    [Scanning next damaged laser cutter] Come'on... come on... YES! [AI voice] *NEW BLUEPRINT AQUIERED!*
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    Chudovish wrote: »
    So far our hero were silent. If it will be the concept, there no more to discuss - just scan it!
    But if he\she comment what he\she just done it will be awesome. Like that:
    [Just scanned damaged laser cutter] Damn, battery module looks like ****! Need to find another one...
    [Scanning next damaged laser cutter] Come'on... come on... YES! [AI voice] *NEW BLUEPRINT AQUIERED!*

im not too sure about this personally ..... the player commenting on some actions like scanning frags.
    The AI's voice telling me im about to drown every ***** 30 secs got old pretty fast (partly why i play Hardocre mode only nowadays)

Trying to imagine the character commenting everytime i scan a fragment would get tiring pretty fast (for me anyway)
    If they did that i hope they would give us the option to turn this off
    Of course there must be such option!
    But you depleet your oxygen hundred thousand times during the game, find 3 pieces of laser cutter only 3 times. Three unique comments for each piece of machinery. Two voices, hundreds of strings to vocalise, but it cool, isnt it? If that comments will not duplicates.
  • CryleveCryleve U.S Join Date: 2016-07-06 Member: 219723Members
    Hmmm voice the protagonist or let players make their own voice Hmmmm decisions decisions.

I think it would be interesting to have a voiced protagonist but then the A.I could tell the story?
  • ChimpXChimpX Join Date: 2015-07-25 Member: 206391Members
    Part of the point of having a voiceless protagonist is that it's easier for the player to immerse him/herself in the character.
    Having The Diver speak in a voice that is obviously not yours breaks immersion.

I say leave it the way it is.
  • EnglishInfidelEnglishInfidel Canada Join Date: 2016-07-04 Member: 219533Members
    If we learned anything at all from the debacle that was Fallout 4 it's that the player character's dialogue should be presented in text if at all.
    have you forgotten your underwater in scuba gear and not the hollywood ones were you got the full face mask to talk just the mouth and eye piece in game XD so no talky talky is possible without drowning if they did that it would be a mind thing only lol
    Oh, radiation helmet dosnt have full mask? There now 2 options for mask, there can be more.
    You got me there lol
    Dont mention it))
    Ok, now I see the idea are not perfect because of immersion. My bad.
    But some sounds from protagonist will be welcome. Already has bubbling scream when we are injured and deep breath when getting up with low O2. Suggest more. This wish depend from grade of "realism" in game. If I was there more then in 24 hours I gladfully speak with myself, psychologists said that it is natural and preserve psychic health from breakdown.
    But if that option ruined gameplay for significant part of audithory -> to trashcan.
    If they do the robots that may save it like a robot chef that always has fresh food and drinks so long as the proper items are there for it to harvest