Hand-Held Motion Tracker

.trixX..trixX. Budapest Join Date: 2007-10-11 Member: 62605Members
edited July 2016 in NS2 General Discussion
In NS1 marine com had the option to research motion tracking tech which would reveal all aliens on the entire map to every marine. While this feature would mess up NS2 balancing big time, I have a proposal:
  • Have a tech for Hand-Held Motion Tracker which could be researched at an obs and bought at an armoury
  • The device would only work when a marine switches to it
  • When a marine switches to it, a translucent screen held between both hands would appear, and where the player looks through it, aliens would be revealed through walls
  • No HP would be shown
  • Lifeform type might be revealed, but I'm not sure about that
  • Only the using marine would see the info, so he would have to communicate that to his teammates
  • Scanned aliens would NOT appear on the map

This mechanism would preserve the asymmetry between teams, because the marine would be unable to attack while using the device.
Balancing could be fine-tuned by tweaking the switching time for the device, maybe as high as 5 seconds

I think this would introduce an interesting tactical dimension to the game :]

EDIT:
Sationary, cloaked aliens would remain invisible until moving, just like in NS1

Comments

• dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
    Horrible idea.
    Especial in times of total incompetent aliens.
    I saw over 80% marine wins these days, many rounds where over after 1 min.
    So by helping the rines to track aliens trough walls im sure we will have 90% rine wins.

Im think this game need some extra tech for aliens soon like a giant hand that slaps walkerfades in the face or an elctroshock everytime you running to an spot where another skulk is waiting for an ambush as skulk.

Yesterday the whole alienteam was slaughtered in one round in nano against 2 shotgunner, 2 rifles.
    Only one skulk was to late to the party.
    What have he done?
    He was running on the floor straight into nano alone.
    On our surprise he wasnt doing this:

So no, marines dont need new toys.
  • .trixX..trixX. Budapest Join Date: 2007-10-11 Member: 62605Members
    Sooooo... you blame the cup?
    y74mzwre4tv4.gif

That argument had been thoroughly dissected in several threads... Alien side is much harder for newbies, period. But that doesn't mean you should balance the game solely from that perspective. You have to add incentives and proper tutorials, not buff aliens and nerf marines.

Yes, last 2 weeks I've also seen 80% marine win ratio. But it really depends on the server. Ghouls box and the Basterds servers have smaller teams and more experienced players, so that ratio doesn't apply on them.

Also, as I've said it would be kind if a cool gadget. Currently you can pretty much guess where nearby aliens are based on sounds. Also, the gadget would prevent you from attacking, so there is -1 shooter in the room.
  • TinCanTinCan Join Date: 2006-12-11 Member: 59010Members
    .trixX. wrote: »
    In NS1 marine com had the option to research motion tracking tech which would reveal all aliens on the entire map to every marine.

I seem to remember it being limited to a certain range.
  • .trixX..trixX. Budapest Join Date: 2007-10-11 Member: 62605Members
    TinCan wrote: »
    .trixX. wrote: »
    In NS1 marine com had the option to research motion tracking tech which would reveal all aliens on the entire map to every marine.

I seem to remember it being limited to a certain range.

Maybe you're right, my memories are a bit hazy :D But I have a strong impression from ns_tanith, where we decided when and what to hit based on alien movement near the hives
  • dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
    Well, i cant wait for Battlefield 1 to be released.
    Your picture described the current playerbase pretty well btw.
    On top smurfs, gg NS2.
  • _Grendel__Grendel_ Join Date: 2015-05-07 Member: 204238Members
    I love the idea of a hand held motion tracker. Reminds me of my AvP 2 days. Alternatively there could also be some sort of scan beacon/grenade you could throw.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    _Grendel_ wrote: »
    Alternatively there could also be some sort of scan beacon/grenade you could throw.

Metal Gear Online 3 has locator grenades that function quite comparably to what you suggested.

Keep in mind they were recently nerfed to require enemies to be within it's radius for 2-3 seconds.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Shouldn't this be in the Ideas and Suggestions forum?
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    _Grendel_ wrote: »
    I love the idea of a hand held motion tracker. Reminds me of my AvP 2 days. Alternatively there could also be some sort of scan beacon/grenade you could throw.

you played avp2!? Me too! First clanned game I took seriously :smiley: