Leviathan Reaper Freakout Moments

LonnehartLonnehart Guam Join Date: 2016-06-20 Member: 218816Members
Just had one myself. I was on my way to the Aurora. I kept my Seamoth's nose pointed at the sky slightly to keep it above water without actually jumping out of it. Then right out of the blue I heard a thud against the hull, and saw two of the thing's mandibles to the right side of the Seamoth's glass shield. I'm going to take a guess that the thing can't grab me when I'm at the surface of the water (which what it apparently tried to do). Luckily I made it into the Aurora and out without further incident, though I swore I could hear the thing screaming even as I got to my seabase...

Anyone else feel like sharing their own experiences?

Oh... and the thing freaks me out even in Creative Mode...

Comments

• RichieCRichieC Mars Join Date: 2016-07-14 Member: 220235Members
    I was exploring a wreck in a kelp area, so assumed I was safe. From the wreck, I heard emergency beeping which I thought was a glitch so ignored it. When I exited the wreck, I couldn't find my Seamoth, but did see a Reaper swimming around the shallow area. I ended up being killed by it as I was looking for my Seamoth, not realising it was most likely destroyed.
  • FanManFanMan at home Join Date: 2016-07-18 Member: 220385Members
    I've had a couple of terrifying run ins with Reapers. One was by the tail end of the ship, I get over a mound of upturned soil and find a Reaper RIGHT THERE!! He's patrolling the deep section behind the ship, but I'm above him and in the shallows. Then he spots me comes up, and I just BARELY manage to scoot underneath him as he glides right over my hiding place amongst the rocks. All that and nothing but a seaglide.
    But it gets better. AFTER I get a seamoth, I go to the far side of the Aurora hunting for minerals and fragment and whatnot. I spot a Reaper, and he's about a hundred yads away or so, so I make a point of giving him a WIDE berth. Well he caught me from behind, turned seamoth to face down his throat, and made my underwaer unclean. Eventually he lets go, I book to the surface, and begin welding my seamoth back together. Well I get maybe another 20 yards before my poor seamoth gets ravaged again by a 2nd Reaper that I hadn't noticed. So I head up, fix her up again, then head to the front of the ship, in the shallowest area I can find under the ship. And of coarse in order to cross the front of the ship, I have to go into open water again, where there is ANOTHER Reaper Leviathan swimming around. So I dive deep, to try and get past him...........and he's chasing me. I open up my seamoth as fast as it's poor little engine will go and try to get to the surface. I hear the damn thing right behind me and CHOMP!!! For the 3rd time in 15 minutes I am staring into the maw of hell, he releases my poor battered seamoth and I try to scramble for the surface when he grabs me again and this time he CRUSHES the seamoth around me and I am in serious trouble I have about 20 health, my seamoth is in fragments heading to the ocean floor and there is a Reaper RIGHT BELOW ME! I get to the surface, swim to the Aurora, swim back to the life pod. And wish the game alcohol in it's programing.
  • LonnehartLonnehart Guam Join Date: 2016-06-20 Member: 218816Members
    FanMan wrote: »
    I've had a couple of terrifying run ins with Reapers. One was by the tail end of the ship, I get over a mound of upturned soil and find a Reaper RIGHT THERE!! He's patrolling the deep section behind the ship, but I'm above him and in the shallows. Then he spots me comes up, and I just BARELY manage to scoot underneath him as he glides right over my hiding place amongst the rocks. All that and nothing but a seaglide.
    But it gets better. AFTER I get a seamoth, I go to the far side of the Aurora hunting for minerals and fragment and whatnot. I spot a Reaper, and he's about a hundred yads away or so, so I make a point of giving him a WIDE berth. Well he caught me from behind, turned seamoth to face down his throat, and made my underwaer unclean. Eventually he lets go, I book to the surface, and begin welding my seamoth back together. Well I get maybe another 20 yards before my poor seamoth gets ravaged again by a 2nd Reaper that I hadn't noticed. So I head up, fix her up again, then head to the front of the ship, in the shallowest area I can find under the ship. And of coarse in order to cross the front of the ship, I have to go into open water again, where there is ANOTHER Reaper Leviathan swimming around. So I dive deep, to try and get past him...........and he's chasing me. I open up my seamoth as fast as it's poor little engine will go and try to get to the surface. I hear the damn thing right behind me and CHOMP!!! For the 3rd time in 15 minutes I am staring into the maw of hell, he releases my poor battered seamoth and I try to scramble for the surface when he grabs me again and this time he CRUSHES the seamoth around me and I am in serious trouble I have about 20 health, my seamoth is in fragments heading to the ocean floor and there is a Reaper RIGHT BELOW ME! I get to the surface, swim to the Aurora, swim back to the life pod. And wish the game alcohol in it's programing.

Yikes! I bet you had to turn the computer off just to calm down. Even in creative mode staring at the Reaper Leviathan's face while he grabs my Seamoth is something I find terrifying... EVEN when I know it can't kill me. :o
  • RezcaRezca United States Join Date: 2016-04-28 Member: 216078Members
    edited July 2016
    I've only had one close encounter with the Reaper thus far since generally I'm reluctant to enter their territory most of the time, though I'd come dangerously close several times while scouting the Mountains and Crash Zone.

This one time I did run into one... I was driving around in the Dunes, using the old Seamoth that could go to 1k meters if you spam depth upgrades... Just kinda skirting near the seafloor and picking up resources while on my way to find the ILZ entrance hidden away in the area. Eventually I saw a Reaper swim over to my seamoth and carry it off. Leaving little old me trapped several hundred meters underwater with only a seaglide at 33% battery and a rapidly dwindling oxygen supply. The reaper never did get me, though I presume he might have returned later to devour my corpse after I drowned on the way back up to the surface :B
  • ToktorillToktorill Canada Join Date: 2016-07-18 Member: 220409Members
    JUST. NOW. I was on a "shopping trip" for titanium with my seamoth, by the central west side of the Aurora. I had just seen a Sand Shark leave the area, so I was swimming from piece to piece as quickly as I could in case it doubled back. Suddenly, I was face-to-face with a Reaper... LITERALLY. It had come OUT OF THE SAND. I didn't know they could DO that! It gave me an 80% smooch as I fled to shallow waters. Then I watched it happily frolic in the sand for a few minutes (bastard seemed proud of itself)...
    haalhn66ajbs.jpg
  • dealwithitdogdealwithitdog Texas Join Date: 2016-06-09 Member: 218343Members
    Toktorill wrote: »
    JUST. NOW. I was on a "shopping trip" for titanium with my seamoth, by the central west side of the Aurora. I had just seen a Sand Shark leave the area, so I was swimming from piece to piece as quickly as I could in case it doubled back. Suddenly, I was face-to-face with a Reaper... LITERALLY. It had come OUT OF THE SAND. I didn't know they could DO that! It gave me an 80% smooch as I fled to shallow waters. Then I watched it happily frolic in the sand for a few minutes (bastard seemed proud of itself)...
    haalhn66ajbs.jpg

Well, they're not really supposed to, but they don't care about the laws of physics. You know how it is.
  • Enderguy059Enderguy059 Australia Join Date: 2015-10-15 Member: 208486Members
    The time I ventured into the Dunes for the first time in my seamoth (At night!), unaware that it's pretty much the Reaper's breeding ground. There were three of them far above, they looked almost serene as they glided through the obsidian waters like great blue streamers. Then when I finished loading the seamoth with quartz one of them came charging down towards me. I was only alerted because it cast a shadow in the headlights.
    I got inside just as it grabbed the seamoth and I was treated to an excellent, if terrifying view of its esophagus. I'd completely forgotten about the perimeter defense and rode out the storm. I was almost at the mushroom forest near the dunes when one of them caught up and grabbed me again. That time I was able to ward it off. Still a nerve-wracking experience.

Pretty much my experience when entering the dunes for the first time, except:
    1. I was only in there for a few seconds, thinking it was some sort of in-development biome, when I heard roaring from nowhere..
    2. My newly-created seamoth was defenseless, only equipped with pressure, battery and 2 storage upgrades, and was destroyed after my pitiful attempt of escape from his first bite.
    3. I managed to make it to the surface, and seaglided straight back to home base in a shock.
    And after reading all the posts about all of your experiences, I now wish the Fabricator had blueprints for extra underwear. And I thought my own experience was freakish... I'm the only one so far who came out with an intact Seamoth. O_O
  • OsydiusOsydius France Join Date: 2015-09-19 Member: 208031Members
    Toktorill wrote: »

Exact same thing happened to me. I'm always very careful of Reapers because everything about them is scary. But once, as I was carefully looking for blueprints in my Seamoth, not too far from the Mountain area, I look left, nothing, look right, nothing, look left again and I'm face to face with a Reaper. He did not attack me but was so close I though he had grabbed my Seamoth. I went to the surface at the speed of light and when I calmed down and came back, I saw what you saw (and explained why this Reaper was so quiet), he was going in and out of terrain like it wasn't even there. So that was quite scary.

Another time, as I was going to the Aurora to repair the reactor, without Seamoth. I was about halfway down the lenght of the Aurora, about 25 meters deep, when I heard the Reaper's cry and saw a big one heading straight in my direction from the depth of the Ocean. I did the only thing I could think of which was dig in the sand as fast as possible to escape. I managed to make a small tunnel in a few seconds (really small, like 1.5 times the player's size) and when I looked up, the Reaper was passing just above me. Since my O² was almost depleted, I had no choice but get out like 5 seconds after he had passed over me and as expected, he was not far away. Still, I managed to grab a couple seconds of air, and then I dived back to dig another tunnel seconds before he passed over me again... I did that another couple of times before I managed to escape. Very unnerving.
    Yikes! Made a new savegame, got the Seamoth... and it happened AGAIN! This time the mandibles were on the left side of my view. Still made it to the Aurora intact, but instead of making a beeline to my base right after fixing the reactors, I took a very wide arc away from the Aurora. Either I was extremely lucky both times or the Leviathan can't grab you when you're at the surface of the water...
  • JengineerrJengineerr Finland Join Date: 2016-07-21 Member: 220509Members
    Well When I Was Going To Search The Aurora After The Explosion, I Was Stupid And I Went There With A Seaglide. Well I Managed To Get Into Aurora And Out Of Aurora Just Fine. But Second Time When I Went To Aurora, I Had Made A Seamoth. But That Was The Last Time I Ever Saw That Seamoth. My Seamoth Was Damaged Already But I Didn't Fix It, And When I Was Near To Aurora's Front Part, Reaper Leviathan Just Comes Out Of Nowhere And Destroys My Seamoth. I Did Not Manage To Escape Him With My Seaglide And I Died. Almost In The Real Life Too. Those Damn Reaper Leviathans Are One, If Not The Scariest Creature In Subnautica. They Just Come Out Of Nowhere And Then BOOM. You Dead. Unless You Have A Cyclops, Then You Are Fine.
  • DagothUrDagothUr Florida Join Date: 2016-07-12 Member: 220125Members
  • Mr357Mr357 Join Date: 2015-03-31 Member: 202777Members
    edited July 2016
    When the Aurora first became explorable about a year ago, naturally I had to go check it out. I was driving alongside it, trying to find the entrance, when suddenly without warning, a massive fish from hell spawned about 50 meters ahead of me and let out a terrifying roar. I could barely breathe. I had no idea that such a creature had been added to the game, and I thankfully I managed to pause and close before it could turn around and charge into me. If I had seen its face when it first appeared, I probably would have screamed.
  • CryleveCryleve U.S Join Date: 2016-07-06 Member: 219723Members
    While heading along the Aurora to fix the reactor i kept looking in the direction of the mountains and every drop i could see, I saw one show its self it was around 200 maybe 300 meters away.It did'nt seem iterested in me at all, after repairing the ship fastforward a couple of hours and i was cruis'n back to the mushroom forest to grab some stuff. I was about halfway way in my Seamoth and out of nowhere i face what looked like hell itself, It roared with a velocity unmatched by all the previous creatures i've seen before after given me a good shake it let go and i hightailed back to base, seamoth somewhere at 20% after gaining my bearings again i thought it was smart to have an extra wetsuit on hand on all expeditions. I haven't gone back to that save since.[Mostly because my game glitched the fragments for me and i couldn't build the seamoth mod station]
  • SidchickenSidchicken Plumbing the subnautican depths Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213125Members
    @DagothUr Agreed. That was painful to read.
  • koekiegsastkoekiegsast netherlands Join Date: 2016-07-26 Member: 220674Members
    my first (and only) encounter with a reaper was by the engines of the aurora, i was looking if i could find something there and i was admiring the size of the engine nozels. i had just arrived there and i was looking at the first engine al while hearing wierd screams in the background. i was swiming by the way and not long before i had fixed up the drive core of the aurora i was yet to find al the fragments of the seamoth and build one. then when i turn around i sea somethin not to far away, its was long, red and white and almost imiditly i realized what is was: a reaper leviathan. and i was just like no no no no f this sht im out and i started swiming back to my pod.
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    Heres how my first encounter with a Reaper Lev went (taken from me in another post)

''The Reaper Leviathan scares the crap out you even before you see it for the first time, you hear it in the distance at first and tell yourself WHAA DAA FAAA is this thing i hear roaring in the distance .... then you get a bit closer, very slowly at first of course, then you hear that roar again, much louder :smiley:

Then bam you see it circling in the distance. You observe it a few seconds then decide to take a closer look, advancing towwards it VERY SLOWLY :smiley:

Thats when ''it'' notices you and decides to swim towards you at full speed and you (of course) freak the F*** out and try to run away but HOLY SURPRISE BATMAN! that thing swims faster than your seamoth :smiley:

It grabs you from behind (without lube, of course), making sure to turn your seamoth around so you can admire his face in all its amazing glory'ness while it tears your seamoth in pieces and leaves you butthurt naked in the midnight sea :scream: You can do nothing else but cry your life while seeing the fuc.ker swim back towards you for the killing blow .... *picked up reclaimed water*

Welcome Aboard Captain, all systems online :smiley:

Now that you've got time to kill, how bout sipping on that reclaimed water ... hope you activated that taste neutralization function on yer swimsuit beforehand :wink: ''
  • francisco_perez31francisco_perez31 Chile Join Date: 2016-07-27 Member: 220703Members
    I've had two Leviathan reaper freakout moments since I bought the game.

The first time I played it, I was swimming to the Aurora to stop the radiation leak. 100% Health, everything normal... Suddenly I was flying and my health went down to 10% and I saw him down near one of the motors of the ship. I went out of the place as fast as I could

The second one was actually today. I was in my seamoth exploring a wreck, trying to find the bed or anything to scan. I was like a hundred meters below the surface. Suddenly I looked up and above me, like 60 meters above me, there was a Leviathan reaper swimming "peacefully" in circles. I didn't moved, maybe he wouldn't notice me. But nope, he went directly to my poor little seamoth and grabbed it, making 50% of damage. Not happy, I was trying to escape when he grabbed me again. He left me with 8% of health. I don't know how did my seamoth survived that.

Man, the ocean is terrifying... :|
  • SiegeSiege Join Date: 2016-07-07 Member: 219769Members
    The first time I saw one I was exploring near the engines of the Aurora and I saw a large serpentine shadow in the murky gloom. I figured I'd just go back the other way since it hadn't noticed me. The second time I was at the front of the Aurora when one swam up and ate my Seamoth before I could do anything. Then he chomped me. That was just annoying. One did make me jump once though. I was driving the Cyclops along in the middle of the ocean somewhere. It was murky and I couldn't see much when one suddenly appeared in front of me swimming right at the Cyclops. That gave me a start.

Honestly the Reapers are kind of comical looking though. They were scarier when I didn't know what they looked like.
    Siege wrote: »

Honestly the Reapers are kind of comical looking though. They were scarier when I didn't know what they looked like.

I bet they're scarier in Hardcore Mode... :)

• MarioblockMarioblock United States Join Date: 2016-04-14 Member: 215744Members
    edited July 2016
    When I was getting some uranium for my new reactor, I went near the mountains getting some of the material in the mushroom biome. It was night time and all I could see was the wall I was scavenging, some mushroom trees, and the moon, then I heard the roar, it was really loud. So I was near this gaping hole in the trees where the leviathan could get in, so when I saw a massive face in the pitch black underwater ocean of death right next to me, I swam into my seamoth and got stuck in a hole right after I started moving. My seamoth was near death and so the leviathan broke it and I died by him.
  • DagothUrDagothUr Florida Join Date: 2016-07-12 Member: 220125Members
    I have to say that Reaper's are too good at being scary. I could have the game in Creative Mode and when once of those things grabs my Seamoth it's still scary - even though I know it can't do any damage to me or the sub, I still jump. And after it lets go I'm still all jittery trying to get my bearings and run away before it comes back. Again, even in Creative Mode where my conscious mind knows it can't hurt me, my reptilian brain-stem reflexes still get triggered every time.

I don't even like taking a Cyclops into their territory. But the worst part? They're frikkin' immortal. Came out one time with the Cyclops, stasis gun in one hand, propulsion gun in the other, rest of inventory nothing but acid mushrooms. Froze the bastard over and over, shoved at least twenty of those purple bombs into his face, and he still just swam away.

So now I just grab the terraformer and build little tiny rock prisons around them.
  • ThePurplePeeperThePurplePeeper None Ya Buisness Join Date: 2016-07-28 Member: 220730Members
    Made an account just to post this.
    (The captcha asked me to select all images with mountains)

A while ago, I kinda did everything there was to do in the game. I got bored and quit for a while. A few months later I decided to go back to the game, see what they added, it'd be fun!

Me: Hmm.. wonder if they added any biomes or anything.

*Types BIOME in console*

Mountains? I heard something about a second island! Maybe it's a giant mountain range!

*Puts BIOME MOUNTAINS in console*

*Gets scared shitless*

The first thing I noticed was that I was about 300m under the water. Then I heard like 20 Reaper Leviathans.

Me again: OH JESUS WHAT HAVE I DONE. THIS ISN'T A MOUNTAIN RANGE! WHAT WHY WHERE WHY ME HELP SEND HELP

One of them came up behind me and ate me. I didn't go back to the game for like a week.
  • ThePurplePeeperThePurplePeeper None Ya Buisness Join Date: 2016-07-28 Member: 220730Members
    edited July 2016
    Now if you'll excuse me I have to get a picture of an oculus for my profile.
    Did they add Crabsnakes? o.o
    Edit: Got a few pictures, felt kinda brave and went to the lost river. I turned around and saw the skull, which startled me a bit, and then my dog walked into my room and barked and it scared the crap out of me. I need new pants.
    DagothUr wrote: »
    I don't even like taking a Cyclops into their territory. But the worst part? They're frikkin' immortal. Came out one time with the Cyclops, stasis gun in one hand, propulsion gun in the other, rest of inventory nothing but acid mushrooms. Froze the bastard over and over, shoved at least twenty of those purple bombs into his face, and he still just swam away.

One way to take them out is to equip your Seamoth with the Perimeter Defense System. Charge it up (hold the activation key), then release the charge when they're close or when they're grabbing you. You will eventually take it out.

And despite knowing that they still terrify me...
    edited July 2016
    On yet a NEW save file, I tried the same thing that got me lucky twice (my savegames got corrupted somehow) This time It grabbed me while I was on the surface and dragged me underwater. This was on my way OUT of the Aurora. So I made a split second decision.

I jumped out of my Seamoth, quickly equipped the Seaglide, and got out of there as fast as the seaglide could carry me. I reasoned that the Reaper Leviathan would be busy with the Seamoth while I got out of its range. And it worked. While being bitten by Stalkers was something I don't enjoy (got bit by one while getting away)

I still managed to get back to base, carried by the Seaglide and the batteries I looted from the Aurora. Probably my only tactical move while being scared witless as losing the mods for the Cyclops AND the Seamoth (which I didn't equip) was what I was trying to avoid.

Still, mission accomplished but now I'll have to build another Seamoth...