Who wants an SN movie!

Nautical_NickNautical_Nick Australia Join Date: 2016-06-12 Member: 218444Members
Note:This would be after the full game release, meaning that no story things would be prematurely revealed.

Comments

• EnglishInfidelEnglishInfidel Canada Join Date: 2016-07-04 Member: 219533Members
    Sure, though they would have to use a lot of CGI I suppose. Which is expensive if you want it to be worthwhile and not cringe worthy.

But we can still dream.
  • ThePassionateGamerThePassionateGamer Germany Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218219Members
    You could make it a bit in the style of "Blair witch project" or "Cloverfield" where you had only the angles & sound from the cameras the actors carried. Would be great. :smile:
  • SidchickenSidchicken Plumbing the subnautican depths Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213125Members
    It's not something I really want, per se, but if they made one... I'd probably watch it.
  • BugzapperBugzapper Australia Join Date: 2015-03-06 Member: 201744Members
    You could make it a bit in the style of "Blair witch project" or "Cloverfield" where you had only the angles & sound from the cameras the actors carried. Would be great. :smile:

*wince* Found footage? No thanks.

Bleah Witch Project was an embarrassment to watch, and Cloverfield lost me completely with its dodgy camera work.
  • Funsauce32Funsauce32 Canada Join Date: 2016-06-09 Member: 218339Members
    Not a movie. perhaps a graphic novel. that would be fantastic. besides, no movie based on a video game has ever been successful.
  • EnglishInfidelEnglishInfidel Canada Join Date: 2016-07-04 Member: 219533Members
    Funsauce32 wrote: »
    Not a movie. perhaps a graphic novel. that would be fantastic. besides, no movie based on a video game has ever been successful.

That depends on how you define success. They can make a lot of money.

I think the Resident Evil flicks can be called a success. (Not my kind of thing, but still, the first one was okay.)
    The first Riddick was good too.
    The Tomb Raider movies made a lot of scratch.
    etc. etc. etc.
    Bugzapper wrote: »
    *wince* Found footage? No thanks.

Bleah Witch Project was an embarrassment to watch, and Cloverfield lost me completely with its dodgy camera work.

I'm in the minority, I know, but I personally love found footage... when it's done well.
    Blair Witch was terrible, I agree, and so are a lot of found footage. That's because they are so cheap to make that a lot of poor directors decide to churn out dozens of awful movies.

Cloverfield was a really good movie though. The camerawork is something you just have to get used to I suppose. When you've grown up playing first person games I think it helps a hell of a lot. I don't even notice the camera shaking when I watch found footage.

Anyway, they are usually mindless entertainment and I get a guilty pleasure from them.

Having said all that, I don't think Subnautica would make a good found footage film at all. One of the most common mistakes in the genre is the writers don't give good enough reasons for people to be filming everything that's happening. In Cloverfield, why would anybody be filming instead of dropping the camera and GTFO ASAP?

If I was swimming around being chased by crazy fish beasts, I would not be filming anything.
  • awesomeguy101awesomeguy101 Join Date: 2016-06-21 Member: 218886Members
    That would be awesome! The Aurora explosion would be HUUUGE!
  • Nautical_NickNautical_Nick Australia Join Date: 2016-06-12 Member: 218444Members
    edited July 2016
    I write this to @Obraxis, would you even concider making a Subnautica movie after the full release of the game?
  • SidchickenSidchicken Plumbing the subnautican depths Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213125Members
    Now for the real question - who plays the player character?
  • Invisigoth247Invisigoth247 USA Join Date: 2016-03-06 Member: 213934Members
    Sidchicken wrote: »

Tom Hardy!
  • Geocrafter47Geocrafter47 Join Date: 2016-07-01 Member: 219382Members
    ive thought about this and i am going to make a fan trailer in a few months on my youtube channel
  • nauticalperananauticalperana The land of the free and the home of the brave Join Date: 2016-05-25 Member: 217491Members
    If there's a movie they better add ai's like in Aurora falls and I wonder what a reaper would look like in a movie probably terrifying and chuck norris should be the player character cuz he the only human that would dare go at a stalker with a knife

• Nautical_NickNautical_Nick Australia Join Date: 2016-06-12 Member: 218444Members
    Probably not gonna happen but I vote for Chris Pratt.
  • RevivedShadowRevivedShadow Australia Join Date: 2015-07-28 Member: 206468Members
    Dont think unknown worlds has that kinda money
  • Darwin-EvolutionDarwin-Evolution France Join Date: 2015-06-07 Member: 205310Members

Patrick Warburton!
  • LonnehartLonnehart Guam Join Date: 2016-06-20 Member: 218816Members
    edited July 2016
    heh... woke up from a nap after having a parody dream of Subnautica. Where the Reaper Leviathan turned out to be VERY friendly. He took me on some kind of magical adventure where we looked for parts for a spaceship so I could escape this place, all the while dealing with the evil Emporer Peeper and his armies of peepers, airsacs, and rabbitfish who all wanted the spaceship to conquer the universe. However, the ship had to be destroyed to prevent that, and the dream ended with an old version of myself and the Reaper Leviathan (having been given the power to cross dimensions by the Sea Emporer) exploring alternate planes of reality... Anyone who's watched an old movie The Neverending Story will have an idea of what the Reaper Leviathan was like...

Y'know? I gotta stop drinking instant coffee before going to sleep...
  • LeonDOGELeonDOGE France Join Date: 2016-01-16 Member: 211525Members
  • JamezorgJamezorg United Kingdom Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216788Members
    I think a movie about the Degasi survivors would be a bit better than a movie about one Aurora survivor. The Degasi logs were actually written out like a movie, too, so I think that could be great :)
  • GC13GC13 Texas Join Date: 2016-07-08 Member: 219829Members
    edited July 2016
    I don't think that Subnautica would transfer over to film very well. I haven't seen The Martian, but from what I understand of that film you'd basically be locked in to doing that at first, unless you made it a horror movie and started teasing the Precursor stuff pretty quickly and ignored the building part of Subnautica. In that case... I suppose? I could see something like the Bioware game movies being made: a small, animated production. I just don't think it would be best to make a single-character film, especially when there is no characterization to the existing protagonist.
  • PsyclonixPsyclonix Join Date: 2016-06-01 Member: 217880Members
    Just because you enjoy a game, doesn't mean it will make a good movie. And plus, the guy will just be talking to himself (ooh exciting!)
  • DagothUrDagothUr Florida Join Date: 2016-07-12 Member: 220125Members
    I'm trying to picture what Ewe Boll's version of Avatar would look like and... yeah, how about no?
  • RezcaRezca United States Join Date: 2016-04-28 Member: 216078Members
    edited July 2016
    Psyclonix wrote: »
    Just because you enjoy a game, doesn't mean it will make a good movie. And plus, the guy will just be talking to himself (ooh exciting!)

Unless they had a second survivor. The alleged movie wouldn't need to adhere strictly to the game down to the letter either. Also, there is that cartoon series Samurai Jack, that accomplished quite a bit with minimal dialogue, so can't rule anything out I guess.

I voted No mostly because I have my doubts that it could be done well and live up to the game's standards, but you never know. I'm actually having second thoughts about my vote heh... Too late to change it though :/

Warwick Davis.
  • ThePassionateGamerThePassionateGamer Germany Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218219Members
    @Bugzapper Yeah I know that those "Found footage" (Just learned that it is called that way). movies tend to split the viewers. Some like it some do not and a few even get motion sickness from it if the camera(s) shake too much.

I find myself drawn much more into the movie when they use those handheld cams and you don't have that steady picture of a professionel camera.
  • everdbesteverdbest Malta Join Date: 2016-04-10 Member: 215607Members
    Maybe in the future.....
    Psyclonix wrote: »
    the guy will just be talking to himself (ooh exciting!)

@Psyclonix did you see The Martian? Because a pretty good chunk of that movie is Matt Damon talking to a recording system, and that doesn't stop the movie from being fantastic. It's also a pretty big chunk of the inspiration for this game.

Actually I think it would be neat if they bounced back and forth between the Degasi survivors and the Aurora survivor. The story starts like the game does, with the Aurora going down, and the occupant of lifepod 5 trying to stay alive. Stuff happens and he finds the island base and the logs from Degasi (perhaps not so many of them). When he picks one up to read it, the film fades into a flashback, and shows the Degasi characters for a while, then switches back to the present. Then the story ties up at the end when the character discovers their ultimate fate, and... well we don't know how Subnautica ends yet, so rescue or not.
  • JengineerrJengineerr Finland Join Date: 2016-07-21 Member: 220509Members
    Subnautica On It's Own Is An Awesome Game. So A Movie Of It Would Be Something I'd Love To See. Subnautica's World Is Filled With Amazing Looking Creatures. From The Really Small To The Biggest! So Yeah, Subnautica Definitely Deserves A Movie Of It's Own. If It Is Done Correctly It Would Be Pretty Awesome Movie, To Be Honest, Or At Least In My Opinion.
    @Jengineerr Your capitalization of every first letter is offending my OCD.
  • JengineerrJengineerr Finland Join Date: 2016-07-21 Member: 220509Members
    @Sidchicken It's just natural to me. It's just a reflex in now a days.
    So Sorry :/

• WastelandJoeWastelandJoe USAUSAUSA Join Date: 2016-07-05 Member: 219591Members
    edited July 2016
    The game is in a barebones state and has severe gamebreaking bugs and glitches and you want them to spend time & money on making a movie?

What is this Mighty Number 9?

The priorities of the development team should be focusing on gameplay because Subnautica is a GAME.

I would like the game to be finished first, And I doubt there would be enough money left in the budget for a movie.

Maybe after everything is complete, commission a short webcomic.

You also have to consider that a majority of the people who will ever purchase Subnautica have already purchased it. Are the devs making this hypothetical movie to attract new customers or just to satisfy a few fans?