Connection problems: can't connect to servers

nuckzernuckzer Iceland Join Date: 2016-07-08 Member: 219872Members
Hi recently I've been trying to play the game again and for the first night it worked and i connected no problem. The next day i couldn't connect to the servers and its been like that all week, I'll try on and off and only once or twice have i been able to play. Usually when i cant connect the server browser will only show me one out many servers and if I try to connect to it I just get "attempting to connect" followed by "Couldn't establish a connection to the server". And at that point it seem like my internet is offline.

I saw a post here above pinned named "** Connection problems? We need your data to fix it! **" from 2012! It pretty much looks exactly like what I'm experiencing. I just can't believe this is still an issue? is this common? I don't know if any others are experiencing this, I can't find much about this issue other than that old post. I've tried everything in there. I've seen people saying that disabling some antivirus fixed the issue but I'm not using any and I've never used one. I turned off network discovery, turned the "Game server browser: max pings / minute" to 500 (from steam settings). I've looked around in my routers settings searching for the "Max NAT/Firewall Session Per User" setting but can't find it. My friend is also experiencing this problem on a freshly installed game, we do have the same internet provider though but its still weird that this only happens in NS2, I never had/have any internet problems apart from this.

I did copy my log file like the old pinned thread asked, if that is any help.
Here it is.

It just really sucks cause i love this game, played ns1 for years then I played ns2 when it got released years ago but my computer isn't that good and the game had poor performance back then compared today, now its super smooth and I want to play it so badly :(

Comments

• IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited July 2016
    nuckzer wrote: »
    Usually when i cant connect the server browser will only show me one out many servers
    Sounds like this is an additional indicator of a problem. Do you have any NAT settings at all in your router?

Open command prompt in windows, type "ping 51.255.150.210" without the quotes but dont enter it just yet.
    Try connecting to that same Rookie Only paradise lost server (or just type connect 51.255.150.210 in the console [the ~ key]) and when it fails, alt tab to the command prompt in windows and NOW press enter.

Then quit everything and wait a few minutes without using your internet, before pinging that IP address one more time in command prompt.
    Post your results here and also please include your techsupport.zip file that's generated by running techsupport.exe in your NS2 folder.

Lastly, I need to know what router, modem, and ISP you are using. I also assume you are using a hard wired Ethernet connection to said router/modem.
    Thanks and good luck.

• nuckzernuckzer Iceland Join Date: 2016-07-08 Member: 219872Members
    Okay so I tried disabling steam overlay and I managed to connect to a server and played for about 4-5hours... Then as I quit i saw this response and I tried connecting like you said through the console and I couldn't connect.

Did the ping thing and both times sent and recieved 4packs, 0lost avg 58ms.

This is my router name: Technicolor TG559vn v2
    and my ISP is named "Síminn"(Iceland)

I have attached the tech support zip, let me know if I'm missing anything.
    Thanks!
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Okay so I tried disabling steam overlay and I managed to connect to a server and played for about 4-5hours... Then as I quit i saw this response and I tried connecting like you said through the console and I couldn't connect.

Thanks!

Have you verified game cache integrity yet? Right Click NS2 -> Properties -> Local Files
    Yojimbo wrote: »

Thanks!

Have you verified game cache integrity yet? Right Click NS2 -> Properties -> Local Files

yep already did that.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited July 2016
    Argh.. I should have mentioned that you need to include the port when connecting in game (but not in windows prompt).. as typing it out just like I said doesn't even work for me.
    Use this "connect 51.255.150.210:27135" in the console in game. (you can paste it in the console)
    Repeat the same steps as before, pinging if you fail

If you fail to connect at all this time using the port:
    Can you connect to that same server using steam's server browser? ( |ParadiseCommunity| Rookie only)
    Steam > View > servers > select ns2 > double click that server

When testing out any of this, try to stay away from the in game server browser for at least a few minutes.
    I have a feeling your router is being flooded.

You can try adding the game to your router's list.. i have no idea what that will do though.. your router seems very inadequate when it comes to options.
    port-forwarding-54281-large.jpg
    If none of this works, you might be in need of a decent router.. but lets see if we can't collect data from you first to narrow down flooding.
    On a related note.. a developer found something today :

"Ghoul: looking into the serverbrowser engine code atm. the amounts of pings going out is unnessecairly high"
    So it's being looked into at the same time.
    managed to connect to the paradise rookie server first try, played a couple of maps but got hive level 5 and can't play on rookie servers anymore. How ever I tried again after quitting and I couldn't connect but i could still ping it. I can't load a web page but i can still ping the server.

I tried looking in the steam server browser and there's only one other server there "85.195.247.117:27017" (Wooza's Hamster Wheel) and I cant ping that server. Request always times out but some how I managed to connect to it through the steam server browser :S

This is just really wierd but since disabling the in game web browser I'm managing to connect more often, but its still happening kind of randomly.

Good that someone's looking into it, hope they find something that might help.

Thanks
    It's possible that the game is flooding your sensitive router, but honestly if you're having the same problem through steam's server browser (I see 92 servers) then it probably isn't the game..
    I highly recommend purchasing a better router in this case.

Also you could always try "tracert" instead of "ping" and see whether your connection is failing to reach its destination, in which case this would be an issue to take up with your ISP. (updating routing tables etc)

So a new patch was released today that limits the amount of pings from the server browser.
    Could you try seeing if you get the same problem?