Plasma and fusion

Nautical_NickNautical_Nick Australia Join Date: 2016-06-12 Member: 218444Members
Plasma and fusion are two things that I love. For those of you who don't know what plasma is, it is a metal heated up so high that it turns int a gas/liquid that melts almost anything. Fusion is basically a sci-fi power source. I'll start with fusion, for some reason I never thought that there were enough power sources. I always thought that there was going to be one more. Well I think fusion is a good option. A fusion reactor would need fusion cores to work. While having fusion cores, it would also need to take in power. Of course it would put out more power than it takes in, you can come up with that.
With plasma, you would first need a device that would super heat a metal to form plasma and possibly some thermal energy too. With the plasma you could make other metals to semi deal with resource problems. You could also use it to make weapons like plasma bladed swords that would use magnets to contain the plasma on the blade or a possible modifier for the rifle, a plasma type gun. The modification station would have a modification for the rifle or cannon to make a plasma based weapon. Or it could be a completely different weapon entirely. To power the weapon you would have to make plasma cores that would contain plasma for later use. These would be like the ammo of the plasma weapon

Comments

• RezcaRezca United States Join Date: 2016-04-28 Member: 216078Members
    edited June 2016
    I'm not sure a fusion power source is needed.

We've got Solar, Bio, Thermal, and Nuclear. Each fills a specific role just fine and I don't really think the development time - and the cost that goes into said development - would be worth it.

Solar is the best power source for early and shallow bases. It's cheap to make, and draws in a good amount of power fairly quickly. It's main drawback is that it's limited to relatively shallow waters, and you need a lot of them. It wouldn't be effective in the abyssal biomes or the undersea caves.

Bioreactors work anywhere, but I feel they're best used as a supplement to Solar Panels. They accept any form of biologic matter, and power for a good long time if you stick a few fish inside, but they power very slowly. However, they'll power regardless of day or night and at any depth.

Thermal Reactors only work in heated places, like the vents in the Grand Reef and I'll assume the lava flows in the ILZ/AZ.

And for everything else, there's Nuclear.

Other than sounding cool, what would adding a fusion power source really accomplish? Would it honestly be worth the time and money adding in a new reactor, when Solar and Bio cover early and midgame bases adequately, and Thermal and Nuclear covers the endgame?

Not that I don't approve of the idea of a new reactor and power source, I just don't think it's really needed within the current scope of Subnautica's gameplay.
  • Nautical_NickNautical_Nick Australia Join Date: 2016-06-12 Member: 218444Members
    Well, good points @Rezca. I do know of all these things. Fusion would be used for the bigger bases because of the extremely high energy output with all 4 cores in. But it would also be good early and mid game too. Fusion would be a cheap energy solution. With only one core it would still operate, giving out plenty of power. What about plasma, do you have anything to say about plasma?
    I'm not sure your initial depiction of plasma is accurate, but someone with an actual knowledge of physics would have to correct me there. What you said more or less resembles the classic sci-fi interpretation of weaponized plasma like in Fallout or Halo - which I don't think is the form plasma naturally takes in most cases..?

That aside, I don't really have anything to say about the weapon idea itself. I highly doubt a plasma gun would even be considered, but an energy-based knife possibly? We already have the thermoblade so I'm not sure. Myself, my own personal opinion, I'm happy with the selection of defensive/offensive tools we have right now so out of the two ideas of yours, I'd say I approve of the fusion power source more than the plasma weaponry idea ;)

Fusion though, I'd think would have to be a late late late game thing, and definitely not a mid-game thing. Fusion power on itself is supposed to be immensely powerful, it'd dwarf everything in-game but Nuclear so it wouldn't and shouldn't be available right away, barring Creative mode that is.
  • Nautical_NickNautical_Nick Australia Join Date: 2016-06-12 Member: 218444Members
    All your points are highly true @Rezca.
  • DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    These subjects are not an expertise area of mine, but I think they're something like this.
    • Plasma is a pseudo-fase not limited to metals. It means the atoms/molecules are in gas form, but ionized due to addition of energy (heat) which causes them loss of electrons. These electrons (negative) float freely between the ions (positive) and provide a high conductive capacity. Plasma as part of energy generation is one of the two major methods being researched for fusion power right now. There's also this 2015 news article that mentions a multistep but non-fusion method in development.
    • Fusion energy is a form of nuclear energy. There are three forms of nuclear energy: fission, fusion, and decay. Decay is when the inherent instability of a material means it gradually falls apart and emits energy while doing so. Fission is when two materials collide so that one falls slightly apart and the separation frees up energy. Think of it as a heavy bullet (instigator material) shot at a melon (target material). A chunk will fly off the melon and some juice will also be lost (energy). Mind that fission requires energy to get started (something SN skips), and only fission using heavy materials as target material generates more energy than invested. The nuclear reactor in SN relies on fission, because that's what uranium (along with plutonium) is perfect for. Fusion, then, is the opposite of fission. It forces two materials together and their new state of being forces out some energy. Only light materials net you an energy profit, although at the moment no method that actually accomplishes such a profit has been developed (fusion is very demanding on space and temperature). The two major methods researched right now are the aforementioned plasma and another based on hydrogen isotopes (hydrogen has no neutrons in its core; its isotopes do).

So, NN's proposal for two energy sources is sort of actually just one. Another type of nuclear reactor. I'm principally positive towards the idea, firstly because I like having lots of power options. Even if they aren't "necessary", as someone who likes building bases, the part where I have to decide what energy I will run the base on is one of my fav moments. Secondly, the idea the nuclear reactor would have to be renamed "(nuclear) fission reactor" to accommodate a "(nuclear) fusion reactor" pleases my science side. How it is to be fit into gameplay is something I wouldn't know, though. Hydrogen seems to me the logical material to be worked with and I think a fission reactor would have the con of being an entire separate room, but how the reactor is to be managed balanced against other energy sources I wouldn't know.
    In the spirit of discussing creative ideas, maybe this fusion reactor could be moonpool-sized. A large room dedicated to running the complex machinery that powers it.
  • DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    I've been trying to think of a way this type of reactor could add to the current energy line-up.
    • Con (space): A separate, dedicated room. Can be the size of the moonpool, but I'm thinking a T-corridor with a "butt" the size of the scanner room on the broad side would suffice. Significant extra space needed but some versatility in the way it can be implemented in a base layout.
    • Con (cost): A separate, dedicated room is costly. I'm thinking something 1x titanium ingot, 1x lead (fusion has minimal waste, but still some), 2x lubricant, 1x advanced wiring kit, and 3x magnet rod, which itself would be a new recipe using like 8- pieces of magnetite. This is roughly equal to the cost of a moonpool.
    • Con/pro (own fuel): The most obvious source of hydrogen to fuel the fusion reactor is the surrounding water. So it would work that the fusion reactor would be able to extract its own fuel, but on the condition it is first given the energy to do so (ie, it always has to be combined with another reactor). This isn't much different from how you have to invest energy to create nuclear rods (20 ep) to fuel the fission reactor, only the middle step is cut out. Say, the fusion reactor would need 100 ep before it can maintain itself (compare: full fission reactor requires 80 ep). Any time the base would be depowered or a breach would occur on the fusion reactor's floor, 100 ep would have to be required anew to get it started.
    • Pro (oxygen): A byproduct of hydrogen separation would be oxygen, which could be used for breathing. I recall reading Trello cards that in the future oxygen won't be generated by itself, so this could be a good way to get oxygen in the base.

I reckon because it would maintain itself, it would have a slower output than the fission reactor.
    Really cool ideas!