Behold... the lost river cove tree!

Darwin-EvolutionDarwin-Evolution France Join Date: 2015-06-07 Member: 205310Members
<iframe width="640" height="480" src="https://sketchfab.com/models/ad392e56650246768b6413e0514121f7/embed&quot; frameborder="0" allowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen="true" webkitallowfullscreen="true" onmousewheel=""></iframe><p style="font-size: 13px; font-weight: normal; margin: 5px; color: #4A4A4A;">
<a href="https://sketchfab.com/models/ad392e56650246768b6413e0514121f7?utm_medium=embed&utm_source=website&utm_campain=share-popup&quot; target="_blank" style="font-weight: bold; color: #1CAAD9;">Lost_river_cove_tree</a>
by <a href="https://sketchfab.com/fox3d?utm_medium=embed&utm_source=website&utm_campain=share-popup&quot; target="_blank" style="font-weight: bold; color: #1CAAD9;">Fox3D</a>
on <a href="https://sketchfab.com?utm_medium=embed&utm_source=website&utm_campain=share-popup&quot; target="_blank" style="font-weight: bold; color: #1CAAD9;">Sketchfab</a>
</p>

That looks awesome! But oh so weird! Not only does it look like it's holding a giant egg, but there seems to be an embryo inside it!

Comments

• TenebrousNovaTenebrousNova England Join Date: 2015-12-23 Member: 210206Members
    That's gorgeous. I'm looking forward to planting one outside my base!
  • DeepcaDeepca Germany Join Date: 2015-10-17 Member: 208542Members
    Such a magnificent piece of art. I have an interesting idea for it (well, at least in my oppinion): What if the entire flora of the Lost River is this tree? I don´t mean this model in general but that everything down there is just one enormous organism with this tree beeing the beating heart of it... kinda... Sorry that my english isn´t good anoth to explain it properly.
    Anyway, I can´t wait to see the ghost rays drifting around it.
  • CoranthCoranth Join Date: 2015-06-02 Member: 205160Members
    I wanna know if I can grow it!
  • LeonDOGELeonDOGE France Join Date: 2016-01-16 Member: 211525Members
    Coranth wrote: »
    I wanna know if I can grow it!

It's gigantic, you're not gonna obtain samples from it that easily.
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    edited June 2016
    holy cow, this isntantly became my favorite plant/tree in the game! its so gorgeous looking .... that central sack looks like its holding some kind of egg or pearl indeed. it has other sacks as well growing on it which all seem to hold some kind of smaller pill/looking seeds in 'em
  • joni65joni65 Kansas Join Date: 2016-06-19 Member: 218763Members
    edited June 2016
    So many of the flora on this planet is inside of, or have Incorporated a membrane. It would be very cool to also see a fauna use membrane. I am thinking of a mammal that evolved a membrane enclosure in order to survive in a primarily water world. The membrane takes oxygen from the water passing it through the membrane to the mammal enclosed, allowing the mammal to live underwater.
  • TenebrousNovaTenebrousNova England Join Date: 2015-12-23 Member: 210206Members
    edited June 2016
    joni65 wrote: »
    So many of the flora on this planet is inside of, or have Incorporated a membrane. It would be very cool to also see a fauna use membrane. I am thinking of a mammal that evolved a membrane enclosure in order to survive in a primarily water world. The membrane takes oxygen from the water passing it through the membrane to the mammal enclosed, allowing the mammal to live underwater.

I'd like to see something like the diving bell spider incorporated in your idea. For those who don't know, these spiders create a web underwater and carry air bubbles down to create a shelter. They venture out to hunt small insects and tadpoles and bring them back to the bubble to eat.

Spoilered in case there's any arachnophobic people in here.
    dYZtLTW.jpg

The scan of the membrane tree says that they harbour specialized life that would die should they get exposed to the outside. Seeing something like that live within the membranes would be awesome.
  • joni65joni65 Kansas Join Date: 2016-06-19 Member: 218763Members
    joni65 wrote: »

I'd like to see something like the diving bell spider incorporated in your idea. For those who don't know, these spiders create a web underwater and carry air bubbles down to create a shelter. They venture out to hunt small insects and tadpoles and bring them back to the bubble to eat.

Spoilered in case there's any arachnophobic people in here.
    dYZtLTW.jpg

The scan of the membrane tree says that they harbour specialized life that would die should they get exposed to the outside. Seeing something like that live within the membranes would be awesome.
    That is so disgusting and awesome. Yes, something like this, although I was thinking of some cute. But some scary and spidery would fit well into the rest of the scary stuff we deal with on this world

• Nautical_NickNautical_Nick Australia Join Date: 2016-06-12 Member: 218444Members
    It's such a cool model! The Unknown World Devs are amazing at this. Every model and sound in the game are just amazing! Well done to all the developers of Subnautica.
  • Enderguy059Enderguy059 Australia Join Date: 2015-10-15 Member: 208486Members
    Can I plant those purple seeds.
    Plz?
    Plz...
  • blurbrerrrblurbrerrr Join Date: 2015-10-03 Member: 208281Members
    its like a more evolved membrane tree
  • Calarand77Calarand77 lurking in general forums Join Date: 2016-01-22 Member: 211786Members
    Gorgeous. The texturing is a true masterpiece.
  • CoranthCoranth Join Date: 2015-06-02 Member: 205160Members
    Yeah, the artists really did a great job on this tree prop. I'm excited to get it placed in the world.

Will we be able to cut samples from it to grow our own in the grow beds?
  • Darwin-EvolutionDarwin-Evolution France Join Date: 2015-06-07 Member: 205310Members
    @Coranth The major difference that this tree has compared to most of the other life forms in the game is that there's only one unique individual. So I don't know if this will have consequences in you wish to grow it or not.
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    edited June 2016
    @Coranth The major difference that this tree has compared to most of the other life forms in the game is that there's only one unique individual. So I don't know if this will have consequences in you wish to grow it or not.

is this the tree they refer to on the Trello as the ''Ghost Tree'' ? man i cant wait to see this ingame :dizzy:
    im so gonna have bases down there and put observatories right in front of that bad boy!
  • Darwin-EvolutionDarwin-Evolution France Join Date: 2015-06-07 Member: 205310Members
  • Victor32Victor32 Join Date: 2016-04-01 Member: 215181Members
    I kinda hope we won't be able to grow it and it stays unique and special.
  • _Quack_Quack__Quack_Quack_ A pond Join Date: 2016-06-08 Member: 218294Members
    The "egg" it is holding could be the Spine Eel egg, because you said it was in the lost river biome. This would also be amazing to grow outside of a base.
  • sayerulzsayerulz oregon Join Date: 2015-04-15 Member: 203493Members
    I don't think people are quite picking up on the size of this thing.
  • JasonCutlaceJasonCutlace Spooderlands Join Date: 2016-05-12 Member: 216678Members
    The lost river just got a huge update any1 got coords to the tree?
  • Slowtype1Slowtype1 Michigan Join Date: 2015-08-25 Member: 207466Members
    I actually found a similar, yet highly less detailed, tree on the way to the Lost River from the second Blood Kelp Zone near the Underwater Islands. It was in the cave after the Blood Vines stopped. It was alone and not completely attached to the ground.
  • PauoloPauolo France Join Date: 2016-03-13 Member: 214187Members
    Slowtype1 wrote: »
    I actually found a similar, yet highly less detailed, tree on the way to the Lost River from the second Blood Kelp Zone near the Underwater Islands. It was in the cave after the Blood Vines stopped. It was alone and not completely attached to the ground.

I saw those roots on my way down. Also the other entrance from the first Blood Kelp zone is now littered with the small plants the developers made for the Lost River.
  • Funsauce32Funsauce32 Canada Join Date: 2016-06-09 Member: 218339Members
    edited July 2016
    im ecited for the lost river to be finished so i can drive around and examine each skeleton an give it a name. im also going to find the cove where the tree will be placed and build my base.