More patches?

rabbidmonkey4rabbidmonkey4 Join Date: 2005-06-06 Member: 53321Members, Constellation
Call me when this game gets good and Onos can eat people again. I wanted to like this game but it lost the magic NS 1 had. I still remember the reasoning for Onos not being able to eat people, we don't want people spectating, and not playing the game while being eaten, that's not fun gameplay. Oh really. That's why Counter Strike is so bad and unpopular, because when you die you can instantly respawn right? I lost faith in this game a long time ago.

Has anyone made an NS 1 mod of this to have the old gameplay just with new graphics?

Comments

• MoFo1MoFo1 United States Join Date: 2014-07-25 Member: 197612Members
    I'm really hoping they bring devour back in the form it had in NS2combat...

Letting the marine try to punch their way out was brilliant as it kept them from being bored staring at a texture, gave them a chance to survive, made it easier for their team to save them, and made devour more of a high risk high reward mechanic.

Just make it a biomass 8 or 9 ability like stomp...

• HandschuhHandschuh Join Date: 2005-03-08 Member: 44338Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Community Developer
    I think devour was fun in ns1 because it was pretty balanced.. but considering ns2 differnces it would really overpower aliens at some point because onos are quite common in ns2 and dont die so easily.. and jps are really slower.. so it would really change the balancing drastically
  • migalskimigalski Boston Join Date: 2014-07-02 Member: 197181Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Ah yes the fun mechanic where you get eaten for 10 seconds and have to sit around watching yourself slowly die, such fun!
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    edited June 2016
    Call me when this game gets good and Onos can eat people again. I wanted to like this game but it lost the magic NS 1 had. I still remember the reasoning for Onos not being able to eat people, we don't want people spectating, and not playing the game while being eaten, that's not fun gameplay. Oh really. That's why Counter Strike is so bad and unpopular, because when you die you can instantly respawn right? I lost faith in this game a long time ago.

Has anyone made an NS 1 mod of this to have the old gameplay just with new graphics?

You didn't leave a number to call :(

Seriously though a lot of people hated devour and complained endlessly about it. I liked it personally but I don't think it fits ns2.
  • HandschuhHandschuh Join Date: 2005-03-08 Member: 44338Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Community Developer
    Nordic wrote: »
    It pretty much never was played, so I guess not many people wanted NS1 with better graphics all that bad. The modder has moved on in life, so if the mod is even still around, it is now unsupported.
    Still, probably a bit off-topic, but want to dispute your statement.. I might have joined ns2 really late for different reasons but I literally knew or even know several dozens of people if not more who all had the same statement about ns2.. they loved ns1 and bought ns2 simply out of respect and gratitude for making such an awesome game.., they played mostly comp (or gathers) - but not all - but just wished ns1 with better graphics and possibly a better engine.. but ns2 literally changed the most vital things which made ns1 really unique like movement and real bhop(no strafes like these days and with mwheel) so that its simply a different game in lots of aspects.. combined with bad reg and several other stuff it isn't the same as it once was... due to these differences and lots of changes someone can't bring the ns1 feeling back with simply a mod
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited June 2016
    The NSClassic mod used all the old NS1 models/textures/movement if I recall correctly (a large reason of why it didnt get played- NS2 is a better game purely on those virtues)
    As someone who played a teensy bit of NS1, and 3k hours of NS2, I can say there are many aspects of NS1 that I greatly prefer over NS2. Devour and the shitty source-bug movement mechanics i.e. bunnyhopping are not among them.
    Well, it's not that I miss devour.. but it wasn't out of place like I fear it woulld be in ns2

Bunnyhop is something you need to learn.. its something all competitive players literally grew up with.. like breathing air...so its logically that it's hard to grasp the concept or depth it had.. especially if it's optional.. so as a ns1 comp player playing ns2 feels dull and slow and there is only marginal room for improvement in your movement, because ns was just so much more than simple "accuracy" orientated.. blinking as fade with zero adrenalin perfectly with full speed without ever stucking anywhere was an art of itself( maps were smaller, you gain speed by cornering and so on).. thats why I understand that uwe lost almost all of the ns1 compplayers.. except for few guys like Tane who've always stood out as Rine with their accuracy.
    as rine youve got two possible but hard to learn jumps...doublejump(faster then running) and silencejump(fast sneaking - speaking of sneaking.. often heard they hated uwe for not implementing simple things like a Walk button..)

alien wallhop was a practised piece of art.. though I think it's good for one thing that it got accessible for everyone especially when the ns2 maps got bigger

But these are probably from your point of view simply outdated thoughts of mine..
  • MoFo1MoFo1 United States Join Date: 2014-07-25 Member: 197612Members
    edited June 2016
    People have a bad impression of devour from NS1.. where apparently you could do nothing but sit in their stomach being digested for a long time.

In NS2combat it was quite different. You were only digested for a short time, and you could hit the trigger to punch repeatedly, doing damage from inside while your team tries to free you from the outside. Devouring a Marine meant that you either had to have multiple Gorges nearby to outheal the damage, or devour them with over 3/4 of your health, and then RUN AWAY because if you don't you're screwed.

I agree that a NS1 style devour where all you can do is stare at the stomach texture would be no fun... The NS2combat iteration of devour is quite different and actually a TON of fun to play both with and against. Being devoured only to kill the Onos and survive by punching your way out of their stomach was epic.

• NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Handschuh wrote: »
    It pretty much never was played, so I guess not many people wanted NS1 with better graphics all that bad. The modder has moved on in life, so if the mod is even still around, it is now unsupported.
    Still, probably a bit off-topic, but want to dispute your statement.. I might have joined ns2 really late for different reasons but I literally knew or even know several dozens of people if not more who all had the same statement about ns2.. they loved ns1 and bought ns2 simply out of respect and gratitude for making such an awesome game.., they played mostly comp (or gathers) - but not all - but just wished ns1 with better graphics and possibly a better engine.. but ns2 literally changed the most vital things which made ns1 really unique like movement and real bhop(no strafes like these days and with mwheel) so that its simply a different game in lots of aspects.. combined with bad reg and several other stuff it isn't the same as it once was... due to these differences and lots of changes someone can't bring the ns1 feeling back with simply a mod
    I am basing my judgment of the fact that when the NsClassic mod was still active, NS2 had a far larger playerbase that it does now. In fact, it was the largest playerbase this game has ever seen. This was round release. The mod showed in the server browser with all the other games. It occasionally had games on it, because I tried it out a few times. In my opinion, if the mod could not develop a loyal following when we had a largest playerbase we have ever had, then the mod was likely never to develop a loyal playerbase.
  • PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    MoFo1 wrote: »
    The NS2combat iteration of devour is quite different and actually a TON of fun to play both with and against. Being devoured only to kill the Onos and survive by punching your way out of their stomach was epic.

Hummm, no.
  • lhooqlhooq 666 Join Date: 2016-01-05 Member: 210940Members
    Devour is not what made NS1 good, and is not the one thing NS2 is missing to be popular.
    Yes, someone made an NS1 mod. It was called ClassicMod or something. It pretty much never was played, so I guess not many people wanted NS1 with better graphics all that bad. The modder has moved on in life, so if the mod is even still around, it is now unsupported.

Over simplification justified in response to a whacko's opinion.
    But seriously there is a lot of things we cannot simply mod into NS2. The biggest for me was elevators and multi level maps. Although elevating platforms did show up in the mod, I'm know it wasn't & can't be implemented in a meaningful way. this is in addition to other engine flaws which....
    *insert beating dead horse emoticon*
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    edited June 2016
    Hopefully NS3 will use an engine that will allow for more intuitive maps. I wonder how Spark 2.0 will work out in this regard (assuming that's the engine UWE is going with).

Speaking of Spark 2.0, why is the FP team still helping out with SN?
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    coolitic wrote: »
    Hopefully NS3 will use an engine that will allow for more intuitive maps. I wonder how Spark 2.0 will work out in this regard (assuming that's the engine UWE is going with).

Speaking of Spark 2.0, why is the FP team still helping out with SN?

Haha "NS3" :smiley: