What should be done with the cyst mechanic

HEllrunner2kHEllrunner2k Join Date: 2013-07-05 Member: 185945Members, Reinforced - Shadow
edited June 2016 in NS2 General Discussion
okay. It's a major annoyance that the cysts pop when you place another one in thier range. it shouldn't be possible to place one, clean and simple. and you can recyst by clicking the problematic cyst and press sell (v, or del or backspace) to pop it manualy ... also it is not a feature that an entire cystchain pops when you autocysted an RT with 2 cysts and place a third one without waiting an entire second. fix pls

Comments

• NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited June 2016
    Disconnected cysts don't die now. So the entire cyst chain won't pop anymore. Problem solved right? ;p

Edit: Was joke, seems it was not understood.
  • HEllrunner2kHEllrunner2k Join Date: 2013-07-05 Member: 185945Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited June 2016
    no.. that's not what I meant... the recently placed auto cyst chain gets replaced by a new one entirely. (cost: round about 4Res for beeing quick) I don't mean em dying slowly. Am I that cryptic? .. do I have to make a video about it?
  • MoFo1MoFo1 United States Join Date: 2014-07-25 Member: 197612Members
    Agree it should not be possible to put a cyst within range to pop an existing cyst...

And it is extremely annoying when you drop a chain somewhere for 3-4 res, then go to drop one more cyst and it places the whole chain again (popping them all in the process) for another 3-4 res...
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    MoFo1 wrote: »
    Agree it should not be possible to put a cyst within range to pop an existing cyst...

And it is extremely annoying when you drop a chain somewhere for 3-4 res, then go to drop one more cyst and it places the whole chain again (popping them all in the process) for another 3-4 res...

It also makes tightly cysting around an RT a hassle.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    Sadly the above points are partially flawed.
    okay. It's a major annoyance that the cysts pop when you place another one in thier range. it shouldn't be possible to place one, clean and simple.
    Earlier patches have this if I recall. It caused some severe cyst issues for the commander and this was introduced.
    Imagine the following, you have a cyst JUST outside rt range.. The location to 'continue' cysting doesnt have the required space to do so. So your only choice is to recyst the entire area.. but.. you cant. The cyst wont die.
    You will not know how many issues this could cause. I remember a lot of personal raging about this issue.
    Whatever your solution to the problem you mentioned may be, not having any way to quickly pop cysts is not it. The previous scenario was worse.
    and you can recyst by clicking the problematic cyst and press sell (v, or del or backspace) to pop it manualy
    Sounds to slow for a kham, but like I stated above.. we need SOMETHING to demolish wrong cysts.. They were to big a issue.
    ... also it is not a feature that an entire cystchain pops when you autocysted an RT with 2 cysts and place a third one without waiting an entire second. fix pls
    I know of what you mean and it IS annoying.
    Instead of using old cysts and completing the chain, it desides to replace all cysts from the active one to the one you place. So you can not place a new cyst in the middle of a broken chain and just have them survive.
    Im not entire sure if it does so with life cysts also, think it was more with maturing just placed cysts.

• HEllrunner2kHEllrunner2k Join Date: 2013-07-05 Member: 185945Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited June 2016
    @DC_Darkling did you even read my initial post? -.- select a cyst, press del ... it pops ... thx. ofc you need to able to kill them, duh?!

Also someone mentioned that it would be awesome if you have the old cysting behavior (single cysts) when you press shift while cysting
    edited June 2016
    seems to me like a glitch that causes the comm to not be able to pop a cyst isn't that much different than the glitch we have now of randomly not being able to cyst...

I wouldn't be surprised if the cause of the unable to cyst bug was the auto-cysting mechanic popping cysts...

Maybe have it set so that whenever more than one cyst is being dropped at a time it won't pop them... (So basically whenever it's auto-cysting for you.)

Edit: wow i said "cyst" alot in that post lol
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    I did hellrunner, but i dont see a recycle cyst as a viable solution either. You need to cyst a LOT and recycle is slow.
    Dont get me wrong though, in my opinion there have always been issues with cysts. One way or another.

edited June 2016
    omg... I draw you a picture next time -.-
    click the cyst .... press del ..... -POP-
    there is nothing slow about it
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited June 2016
    @HEllrunner2k
    That would mean that the khammander couldn't be refunded any Tres, like a recycling mechanic typically would.
    You'd have to have either a slow delay (which sucks when you need to fix a cyst chain) that gives Tres back, or just allow removal of cysts without refund ... but if you did that.. then there'd be no difference to the auto popping mechanic we have now except the current method would be faster?

I think a better system might just include more feedback.
    Click once to place chain/cyst and if it's going to pop any, the click does not register - your cyst and all affected will highlight to an obvious color - clicking again would replace the cyst/chain.
    Basically it's just notifying you of a change you're about to make.
    edited June 2016
    nonono ... no recycling... you just kill an unwanted cyst (it explodes, AV feedback is selfexplainatory, noone will expect money from it ... you're not ungrowing it or something)... like you would right now when you place a cyst where you actually want it (correcting the auto cyst, wich I have to do very often). what you're suggesting will A ) complicate the mechanic further and B ) will in fact be slower. when you simply can't override cysts anymore and kill them on demand via selection and button press, it will not change the core mechanic too much and it will be a solid and quick one. (will actually not punish you for beeing fast anymore) Add that you can place single cysts (no auto cysting) when holding down shift and it's perfect. every alien comms wet dream
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    How is manually deleting a cyst better than it happening automatically?
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    Or by removing building requirements precise cyst placements would be inconsequential and this wouldn't be an issue.
    edited June 2016
    you don't WANT that to happen ... it happens to easily. you can't accidentally kill the entire chain my way. and IF you need to recyst an area (not recystsing cuz no cysts, but cuz wrongly placed) you can do so quick and precise. auto poping is a pain. also you can check for a tight placment spot by clicking fast till you found it, without risking the loss of the allready placed cyst, endangering a potentially damaged RT, that could be killed by that.

(it's true we DO say the word cyst a lot ^^) read the comment above again, and take your time! I edit alot and every sentence is loaded with meaning wich I sometimes can not express in correct terms. read it 2,3 times till you truly got it.
    Killing the entire chain automatically should not happen, that I agree with.
    But that sounds like something that should be fixed instead of moving back to the tedious and dreadful manual placement.
    edited June 2016
    wow.. you did not go back and read it again, did you? -.- this is only an option when you keep shift pressed while cysting. autoplacement is fine... but no auto poping ... you can't override. if you want a cyst gone you click it and press "del". = precision = less errors and wasted res = skillful cysting = more fun (less enragement)

Savvy ?
    You keep thinking people aren't reading or understanding, but we are. ;)
    Even an option for a manual mode sounds poor and like a workaround imo. Where would this be communicated, this new method? Sounds hidden and unintuitive
    Also, you want to use the queued orders key (shift)??

I think it'd be better suited on the blank UI box to the right of the screen when selecting a cyst, (like most things do) and bound to another key so that you don't need to re use the queued orders button, nor have to press an additional key awkwardly on the other side of the keyboard (like del).

After looking at the issue in game for a few minutes, I think cyst placing in general needs to be reviewed; there's a lot left to be desired as far as usability goes.

edited June 2016
    well if you fully read everything and "understood" it you lack the imagination to invision the smoothness of that control scheme. CAN you even have Units selected when you ("Q", "A") are in Cyst mode? (double checked, ofc not) Adding another key binding is completley unnessesary. Shift 'll do. in EVERY RTS, that is to be taken seriously, you can get rid of unwanted units by pressing "del" and/or "backspace", destroying em in the process (death animation). (It's like jumping in shooters; a core mechanic everyone intuitivley uses or searches for, that has minor experience with the subject matter) you don't want to acidentally kill an RT cuz you can bind the "kill structure" command to the space bar... this is a physical precaution mechanism on your keyboard that is tested over decades and proven to be ... super awesome ^^ ... look.. test it both ways. and take the better solution.. I'm quite confident ^^

PS: again... cuz I know what's comin'.. . pressing the shift key gets you single cysts, only the vets know about (or care for). you don't need to explain that. make a note in a booklet or something or add it to the hidden mechanics forum threads. Done!

shift key script is easy ...
    if (isInCystMode == true) {do single cysts} else {que unit paths}
  • AeglosAeglos Join Date: 2010-04-06 Member: 71189Members
    edited June 2016
    IronHorse wrote: »
    @HEllrunner2k
    I think a better system might just include more feedback.
    Click once to place chain/cyst and if it's going to pop any, the click does not register - your cyst and all affected will highlight to an obvious color - clicking again would replace the cyst/chain.
    Basically it's just notifying you of a change you're about to make.

I don't understand Hellrunner, but I would support a manual cyst killing system as well. The whole point of the manual killing is that you don't want it happening automatically. At all. Especially when you are already taking the effort to place it manually. Anyway, the above seems like a reasonable compromise. As is actually making the displayed radius that kills cysts close by actually accurate.

I have no sympathy for any veteran who places cysts too quickly and kills their previous chain. How many times does it have to happen before it registers that you have to wait? But I suppose some people lack the ability to be self critical and just blame bugs or something.

p.s. Alien commanders are so free, unless you are hopping out or are doing some very aggressive drifter support, you might as well place them manually to help your cysts survive that little bit better or make marines have to turn away from that doorway/corridor your cysts are going straight through from auto cysting a little more often.

p.p.s. Cysts are a poor work around for alien commanders to be viable. :trollface:
    edited June 2016
    so you like to wait on a system instead of changing it so you can be faster and the limit is your skill... interesting
    No, I don't like to wait. But I know it happens and why it happens and as such, have no sympathy for anyone who doesn't learn their lesson after a couple of accidents. Besides, what skill is there in placing cysts? You just memorise the sweet spots to auto and manual cyst and off you go. There's probably more skill involved in waiting.
    edited June 2016
    yeah.. you clearly don't understand what I want nor the purpose of the thread.. lean back and watch, pls
    No, you clearly don't understand what I said. Maybe you should read it again.
  • StardogStardog Join Date: 2004-10-25 Member: 32448Members
    edited June 2016
    Just remove cysts altogether. Let gorges built wherever they want. Roll back to NS1.
    I think hellrunner is on to something here, despite being very hard to understand...

When cysts are selected to drop them, why can't shift become the key to cancel auto-cysting? It wouldn't interfere with the other uses of shift (waypoints), would keep the auto-cysting mechanic as is, and would let veteran commanders have more control over their cysting...

It's a win, win solution with no downside...

On a side note to @Aeglos... Even veteran commanders who wait can be screwed buy this.. Example: you're about to place one extra cyst (or even replace a cyst) when right before you click a marine kills a cyst at the beginning of the chain... Suddenly instead of dropping just 1 cyst for 1 res you spent 3-5+ res because it re-cysted the entire chain, popping all your mature cysts in the process (which in turn makes it easier for marines to clear them.)
    Well, can't say that ever happened to me. I guess I should be glad that marines that managed to sneak past undetected always aim for something more valuable or just shoot the hive stupidly. Or that I just happen to not be cysting when they decyst my base harvester.

I am all for improvements to the cyst system. I asked for manual deletion back in March. But there really is no point complaining about how the current system screwed you over when it is avoidable.
    edited June 2016
    how can you have an oppinion on a concept you admittedly did not understand @Aeglos ? <-(rethorical; no answer needed... PLEASE)

you know what?! .. I make a video for the slower guys. Gimme a minute
    how can you have an oppinion on a concept you admittedly did not understand @Aeglos ? <-(rethorical; no answer needed... PLEASE)

you know what?! .. I make a video for the slower guys. Gimme a minute

You know what the problem is? Your ability to communicate. You can't understand what others are saying nor can you express yourself in a coherent manner. I should have known better than to engage you.

p.s. How's your banning of FBI smurfs going recently? :smile:
    edited June 2016
    yeah.. I think If you really read everything and STILL don't understand, my communication skills are not the problem on display dude ^^ ... I make a video for you
    Aeglos wrote: »
    I should have known better than to engage you.

But that's the troll kick you get out of it, right? I get that alot. Ppl trying to provoke a response.
    Aeglos wrote: »
    p.s. How's your banning of FBI smurfs going recently? :smile:

the last part is quite bias revealing and you should have left it out in order to still be taken seriously.

*whispers* don't tell me how to run a community. I know better, believe me ;)