The Epic Trello Thread

Comments

• CoranthCoranth Join Date: 2015-06-02 Member: 205160Members
    Checkins Dump...

43002 Translation files update. Legacy database update. FMOD update. Prefab touch.

43001 Added Throw Switch

43000 Iteration - throw switch

42999 Fixing some sky appliers and other errors

42998 Updated some geo fixes and added controllers

42997 Set the version number of the game to allow better exception tracking

42996 Constructor

42994 Iteration

42993 Iteration

42992 Translation files update. Legacy database update. FMOD update. Prefab touch.

42991 Fixing arm position when using the airbladder

42988 Translation files update. Legacy database update. FMOD update. Prefab touch.

42985 Initial voxel work.

42984 fixed SwimBehaviour

42983 fixing swim behaviour

42981 fix merge

42979 underwater doors

42978 Translation files update. Legacy database update. FMOD update. Prefab touch.

42977 Fixed build error.

42976 Fixed adding non-prefabs to the prefab database.

42975 Fixed build error.

42974 Translation files update. Legacy database update. FMOD update. Prefab touch.

42973 Added WorldEntity database.
    Cleaned up LootDistributionData.
    Implemented virtual entity slots.
    Implemented component whitelisting for deserialization.
    Removed misleading API functions.
    Fixed Reefback plants.
    Fixed awaking EntityCell.
    Fixed bounce lights removal.

Trello Stuff:

https://trello.com/c/NgCPc0mJ/6067-fix-reefback-animation

https://trello.com/c/3sJQRCIZ/6062-fix-large-amount-of-quartz-and-uraninite-spawning-in-blood-kelp

https://trello.com/c/5ssf8DL6/5622-double-check-basic-creature-animations

https://trello.com/c/TJsUhpv5/6060-gravsphere
  • Enderguy059Enderguy059 Australia Join Date: 2015-10-15 Member: 208486Members
    The new ion battery and powercells are looking positively nuclear!
    https://trello.com/c/VUwB8hGO/6044-virtualize-entity-slots

"The big one.
    Instead of baking entity slots to cache serialize virtual entity slots at batch level. Spawn virtual prefab identifiers async into cell waiter queues at runtime. Utilize cell level cache of prefab database."

Hmm... *scratches head*
  • starkaosstarkaos Join Date: 2016-03-31 Member: 215139Members
    Coranth wrote: »
    https://trello.com/c/VUwB8hGO/6044-virtualize-entity-slots

"The big one.
    Instead of baking entity slots to cache serialize virtual entity slots at batch level. Spawn virtual prefab identifiers async into cell waiter queues at runtime. Utilize cell level cache of prefab database."

Hmm... *scratches head*

Sounds like improved code organization that means absolutely nothing to us, but makes the devs job slightly easier.
    43108 Base building improvements and terraforming removal.

YES! Huge part of optimization right there!
  • Morph_GuyMorph_Guy Join Date: 2016-04-21 Member: 216034Members

That only made it so bases can't terraform into the ground when placed, the ability to terraform is still in the game so there probably won't be that much of a performance boost.
  • subnauticambriansubnauticambrian U.S. Join Date: 2016-01-19 Member: 211679Members
    edited January 2017
    Morph_Guy wrote: »

That only made it so bases can't terraform into the ground when placed, the ability to terraform is still in the game so there probably won't be that much of a performance boost.

I really like terraforming to be honest, but I can see how it is necessary to remove it for all the people that have a hard time playing the game. In my perfect world I'd like terraforming to remain in creative, but be completely removed in survival. Having the terraformer in creative, you can do fun things like re-create the marianas trench or set up an impromptu island base. Does anyone agree?
  • RequiemfangRequiemfang Join Date: 2015-02-22 Member: 201492Members
    Imagine what the game would be like with random gen. I'm sure the developers could if they wanted to code a sensible world generating mechanic for the game to do random gen. And then just have the auto gen place POI, (Aurora, abandoned bases, ect, ect) at the right depth, biome location.
  • subnauticambriansubnauticambrian U.S. Join Date: 2016-01-19 Member: 211679Members
    Imagine what the game would be like with random gen. I'm sure the developers could if they wanted to code a sensible world generating mechanic for the game to do random gen. And then just have the auto gen place POI, (Aurora, abandoned bases, ect, ect) at the right depth, biome location.

The devs have already stated that they want the world to be hand-crafted, and I think it works out better artistically that way. However, you are not alone in your random gen-ness. I would suggest checking out this thread for one of my favorite ideas about how to implement random gen.
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    They could just make certain things generate randomly with each new version of the game we start...

Like where Lifepod-5 first lands in the shallows.

Have the larger Fragments spawn in different deep-wreck locations each time.

Make the items found in the Crates spawn randomly.

Personally, I wish there were fewer blueprints in the PDA when we first open it.
    IMO, since the thing is defective when first turned on, we should only have just the basic four or five absolutely necessary items. (Titanium/Rubber/Mesh/Food Cooking/Fresh Water)

Then as we explore and find powered crates and partially powered consoles, we can add the more complex recipes to the pad. (Not Fragments)

The Fabricator should also not list every item at the start (it too is in pretty bad shape when we splash down), it should only add items for us to make as we come back with them on our PDA.

All this could be incorporated into the game as a random puzzle, forcing us to search around for not only the materials but also the blueprints.

< shrug > Just my thoughts on the matter.
    B)
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    DaveyNY wrote: »
    They could just make certain things generate randomly with each new version of the game we start...

Like where Lifepod-5 first lands in the shallows.

Have the larger Fragments spawn in different deep-wreck locations each time.

Make the items found in the Crates spawn randomly.

Personally, I wish there were fewer blueprints in the PDA when we first open it.
    IMO, since the thing is defective when first turned on, we should only have just the basic four or five absolutely necessary items. (Titanium/Rubber/Mesh/Food Cooking/Fresh Water)

Then as we explore and find powered crates and partially powered consoles, we can add the more complex recipes to the pad. (Not Fragments)

The Fabricator should also not list every item at the start (it too is in pretty bad shape when we splash down), it should only add items for us to make as we come back with them on our PDA.

All this could be incorporated into the game as a random puzzle, forcing us to search around for not only the materials but also the blueprints.

< shrug > Just my thoughts on the matter.
    B)

IIRC, that's already in-game. Hop out of your lifepod, save, make a new game, hop out, save, etc a few times, and look at your starting location. Also tech fragments IIRC are also being randomized, but more work will be done in the future.
  • HYBRID1313HYBRID1313 Australia Join Date: 2016-04-01 Member: 215179Members
    None of you geese have gone and tested out the new base building improvements yourselves? Haha, well I'll post some screenies of the new legs' extending distances. Also, the components can only be built at a minimum 1m off the ground you're placing them on and can't clip through the terrain :D
    http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/98351707957769300/357E7304ACAB176E033B33F1DEEE76A619DE06EA/

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/98351707957794464/FE6C6FA867821E54980DEC243F52E24BEBEA9EA0/
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    edited January 2017
    HYBRID1313 wrote: »
    None of you geese have gone and tested out the new base building improvements yourselves? Haha, well I'll post some screenies of the new legs' extending distances. Also, the components can only be built at a minimum 1m off the ground you're placing them on and can't clip through the terrain :D
    http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/98351707957769300/357E7304ACAB176E033B33F1DEEE76A619DE06EA/

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/98351707957794464/FE6C6FA867821E54980DEC243F52E24BEBEA9EA0/

WOW, that second pic looks like a bunch of Sea Treaders have invaded your base.

Heh...

B)
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    I wonder if there will be a way to convert old bases to the new ones? Or will it require a new save? Hmm... Probably will need a new save. It'd be nice if they had some sort of mechanism to allow you to get all the materials from your base back, in some sort of temporary creative mode, and re-establish the base(s) to the new specs, thus preserving your save.
    43135 /main/shel-PrecursorDroidFX 2017-01-16 19:15:08 Sylvain Hel add coffee machine pouring fx

The Coffee Machine actually makes Coffee? Damn, I need that in my base!
    43135 /main/shel-PrecursorDroidFX 2017-01-16 19:15:08 Sylvain Hel add coffee machine pouring fx

The Coffee Machine actually makes Coffee? Damn, I need that in my base!

It has made Coffee for a couple of weeks already. Unfortunately, it is just Coffee pouring out of a spout and not filling up a mug or having the main character drink the coffee. If they improved the coffee machine fx, then it is not on Experimental.
    Apparently Markiplier is getting his own Subnautica animation. "Moved Implement Marki anim from To Do to Done"

Also there are two new items being introduced into the game that we have no idea what they are for.

Data Box
    Data_box_in_game.jpg.png

Data Box chip
    Data_Box_chip_in_game.jpg.png

My guess is that they are either for the Rocket or from the the following message from the Aurora's wiki page.
    Colonial Headquarters - 15 minutes prior to Aurora impact.

Controller: Sit rep!
    Analyst: Ma'am, the Aurora's gone dark. Last known position on collision course with planet 4546B.
    Controller: Did the life pods launch?
    Analyst: None registered so far, Ma'am. And there's something else.
    Controller: Say it.
    Analyst: When the Aurora left dock, her emergency equipment was still on factory settings.
    Controller: You're telling me we have a bird in the soup, and their Survival PDAs are running VANILLA?!
    Analyst: That's the situation, Ma'am... Ma'am, what should we do?
    Controller: Bring me every star chart, tech geek and concentration enhancer in the building...
    Analyst: Yes Ma'am!
    Controller: ...and god DAMN it you build me an update package, and you find me a way to flash them Version 1.1!

Analyst: Ma'am, there's not enough bandwidth to send everything, but I think I can optimise the automated habitat terraforming algorithms to fit them in.
    Controller: You mean to say we have survivors out there with rock-faces jutting into their habitats? Make it so!

Controller: The moment we're done here I want to know who let that ship leave dock without a single room in the constructor database!

Controller: Listen up, I want this package streamlined! You don't need a focus-group approved surface texture when you're fighting for your life on an alien world. If the power systems are beta, pack them up and move on!

Controller: Tell me about this planet the Aurora was orbiting.
    Analyst: Unexplored. Capable of supporting life. Ocean planet. O2 atmos-
    Controller: Backtrack. Ocean planet?
    Analyst: Affirmative. Does it mean something?
    Controller: It means we're in more trouble than we thought. Get me the fluid dynamics team!

Analyst: Update package away, Ma'am.
    Controller: Well done everyone. Now get back to work.
    Analyst: Ma'am, the team needs to rest.
    Controller: Listen up! Anyone who wants to tell me they've got it bad, stop and ask whether you'd rather have been on the Aurora. They're alone right now. They're scared. They're beset on all sides by alien nightmares - and it's only going to get worse. If you still think you should be resting rather than working on a way to keep those people safe, you bring it to me and you'll be reassigned. I'm sure the TSF could use some more bodies in the Kharaa conflict.
  • pie1055pie1055 Join Date: 2016-12-05 Member: 224603Members
    Data boxes could be from that idea the devs had to implement a way for users to pass information between each other. Something along the lines of users being able to put messages into items and put them up for everyone to vote on them and the most popular ones get dropped into everyone's games or something...

Though all of that is very iffy because I don't remember where I even got that idea from, although I could swear I saw information somewhere describing something these data boxes remind me of. Anyone else know what I'm talking about?
  • phantomfinchphantomfinch West Philadelphia , born and raised on the playground is where I spent most of my days. Join Date: 2016-09-06 Member: 222128Members
    pie1055 wrote: »
    Data boxes could be from that idea the devs had to implement a way for users to pass information between each other. Something along the lines of users being able to put messages into items and put them up for everyone to vote on them and the most popular ones get dropped into everyone's games or something...

Though all of that is very iffy because I don't remember where I even got that idea from, although I could swear I saw information somewhere describing something these data boxes remind me of. Anyone else know what I'm talking about?

Dark souls?

Time Capsules are supposed to be how users pass information between each other. Time Capsules are supposed to be found in Destroyed Lifepods where beating the game allows your messages to be in someone else's game.
    Time_capsule_in_game.jpg.png
  • pie1055pie1055 Join Date: 2016-12-05 Member: 224603Members
    starkaos wrote: »

Time Capsules are supposed to be how users pass information between each other. Time Capsules are supposed to be found in Destroyed Lifepods where beating the game allows your messages to be in someone else's game.
    Time_capsule_in_game.jpg.png

Ahhhh that was it. OK, I'm as lost as everyone else. Maybe data boxes have something to do with tweaking the blueprint system.

Data boxes are for blueprints. This line below was on the destroyed lifepod page on the wiki about future things to be implemented with them

Destroyed Lifepods will sometimes have Data Canisters containing blueprints for more tech.

Data boxes are for blueprints. This line below was on the destroyed lifepod page on the wiki about future things to be implemented with them

Destroyed Lifepods will sometimes have Data Canisters containing blueprints for more tech.

Data Canisters would make more sense to obtain the blueprints of items that make no sense for the Aurora to carry like Bioreactors, Nuclear Reactors, Seaglides, Seamoths, and the Cyclops due to the existence of Fabricator technology. The Alterra Corporation is a business so they are always looking at how to reduce costs and carrying a ton of equipment that is not needed until the Aurora reaches their destination is a huge cost. Just store the content on their computers and build the equipment with their Industrial Fabricators when they get to their destination with local resources.

However, the Data Box looks too sturdy for storing blueprints. It looks like something that can survive re-entry or for protecting nuclear launch codes.
    edited January 2017
    New change to Vending Machines that is currently available on Experimental. Vending Coffee Machines now give Coffee which gives +4 Water. Now we can live off of Coffee and Snacks instead of eating healthy.

Vending_machine_in_game.jpg.png

Maybe we will get a change to the Trash Cans to have the Alterra style as well.

They're working on the lab one currently, who knows we might have new textures for trashcans in the future.
    43449 /main/LabTrashcan mesh replaced with new one 2017-01-23 07:09:14 Sergey Solovyov
    43448 /main/jonas-OptimizePerformance 2017-01-23 07:07:00 Jonas Grohmann Profiling PowerFX.
    43447 /main/LabTrashcan mesh replaced with new one 2017-01-23 07:06:00 Sergey Solovyov
    43439 /main/LabTrashcan mesh replaced with new one 2017-01-23 04:59:12 Sergey Solovyov
    43438 /main/LabTrashcan mesh replaced with new one 2017-01-23 04:50:14 Sergey Solovyov
    43437 /main/LabTrashcan mesh replaced with new one 2017-01-23 04:48:59 Sergey Solovyov
    43436 /main/LabTrashcan mesh replaced with new one 2017-01-23 04:30:14 Sergey Solovyov
    So cool; now when we come back to the base on the verge of dehydration we can stave it off until we can get some real food, like the Lantern Fruits and such!
  • dealwithitdogdealwithitdog Texas Join Date: 2016-06-09 Member: 218343Members
    So cool; now when we come back to the base on the verge of dehydration we can stave it off until we can get some real food, like the Lantern Fruits and such!

Just like in real life!
  • Darwin-EvolutionDarwin-Evolution France Join Date: 2015-06-07 Member: 205310Members
    edited January 2017
    A little idea: what if sometimes the snack gets stuck and you have to shake the vender a bit to get it out? It's a small detail, but that'd be cool ;)
    EDIT: Immediately after I posted this comment, I saw a really funny and awesome ad for Orangina which reminded me of what I said above. It's hilarious, so I had to share it XD Sorry I couldn't find an english version, but the French isn't really that hard to understand.

• TarkannenTarkannen North Carolina Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221304Members
    New change to Vending Machines that is currently available on Experimental. Vending Coffee Machines now give Coffee which gives +4 Water. Now we can live off of Coffee and Snacks instead of eating healthy.

Vending_machine_in_game.jpg.png

Maybe we will get a change to the Trash Cans to have the Alterra style as well.

I'm glad that FINALLY the Vending Machine and Coffee Dispenser will have a use outside of just 'looking cool', but hot damn, the new model for the Vending Machine is 10x better than the old one... I hope the other interior models will get an upgrade like that as well. :blush: