Same type of random crash/freeze at not-so-random times.

hentaclehentacle Join Date: 2016-06-11 Member: 218389Members
It happened before rarely - speakers go batshit with "BZZZZZZZZZZZZZT" sound, everything freezes, the screen is borked with purple-ish diagonal lines, BIOS and ctrl+alt+del doesn't work at all. It was random and rare before, both internet connection and specs probably aren't the case (since it happened on all three PCs I played NS on). Anyway, now it doesn't seem like it's random - it happens when a new collectable is achieved in-game. So far got three of those and it crashed like this every time the message of new item popped up. Any way to fix this manually?

edit: tried what was suggested to me on the steam discussions - checked cache (everything's peachy here, all files were in their places), full-checked system for viruses (nothing here either), ran games without mods enabled (easy, since I never actually downloaded or used them). So... Yeah. Would be very grateful if someone could look into this further, these crashes keep screwing me over with exp penalties which isn't fun at all.

Comments

• GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited June 2016
    Hi, that sounds like more of an issue of the steam overlay with your OS, your gpu or audio driver.

First of all make sure you have the latest gpu driver installed http://www.geforce.com/drivers.

Secondly try to disable the steam overlay in-game and see if that helps: Right click at Natural Selection 2 in your Steam Library -> Properties -> Deselect "Enable the steam Overlay while in-game".
  • hentaclehentacle Join Date: 2016-06-11 Member: 218389Members
    Thank you, I shall try it out right now. Hope it works.
  • hentaclehentacle Join Date: 2016-06-11 Member: 218389Members
    @GhoulofGSG9

Nope, ain't going to work, apparently. Done all the things recommended and it crashed again after about two hours of gameplay. Also, after rebooting steam NS collectible message popped up once again - like after the last three crashes.
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited June 2016
    hentacle wrote: »
    @GhoulofGSG9

Nope, ain't going to work, apparently. Done all the things recommended and it crashed again after about two hours of gameplay. Also, after rebooting steam NS collectible message popped up once again - like after the last three crashes.

Okay i had a second look into your tech support files and it seems like the faulting software is "DipAwayMode.exe" . Google tells me that this seems to be the Asus AI Suite III and there are numerous threads reporting similar issues with user recommending each other to uninstall given software in the asus forum.

I would suggest to either try to update given AI Suite or uninstall it and see if that helps. In case you crash again please upload a new tech_support.zip .
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited June 2016
    Also just to chime in, your video card does not meet the minimum system requirements to play the game!
    You have 480 MB of VRAM with that video card and the minimum required is 1 GB.

Given the rest of your hardware, why are you running something so old?
    You have a halfway decent CPU, tons of RAM, a modern OS, but a video card that should have died on you by now.

I highly recommend updating that card. :)