Personal Water Tunnels

ShadowDiverShadowDiver Oregon Join Date: 2016-04-19 Member: 215932Members
So currently there are only two ways to make yourself (without a sub), move faster underwater: The seaglide, and using a current generator. But I think we can change that.
Imagine a tunnel that you could add on to your base, except the tunnel is filled with water, and you can choose to have the water be going in one direction in a focused current, so that you would move very quickly through it. Something like this would be cool for multiple reasons.
One, it would provide an actual use for the current generator, as it could be part of the crafting. And two, if you didn't feel like walking across your entire base, you could connect multiple parts with these current tunnels.
This would be something added later, because it isn't needed, it just seems cool to be able to play with the currents a little bit more than we are currently able to.
Let me know what you guys think!

Comments

• ShadowDiverShadowDiver Oregon Join Date: 2016-04-19 Member: 215932Members
    Oh yeah! Like some sort of underwater "train" where you build rails and it is powered by a propellor or something. Oh! And it could even be able to bring a large amount of items from one place to the next!
  • MrRoarkeMrRoarke Join Date: 2016-05-16 Member: 216830Members
    I'm imagining the "flush" at MIB Headquarters in Men In Black II.

You know I've never built a current generator? Couldn't see the point. Or a grav sphere, for that matter.

Maybe until they give you the transport tunnels, you could put a current generator outside of a hatch at every junction of your base. You could step outside, and jet off to the next junction, then jump into another jet stream?
  • EverReddyEverReddy UK Join Date: 2016-05-23 Member: 217355Members
    edited June 2016
    I'm now wondering whether this would be possible at the moment by building glass tunnels (low integrity) until they flood, with current generators to push you along (although I've never built one so don't know if they affect the player). It might not be practical for moving around your base, but could possibly be used externally to get to/from nearby areas or (assuming it'll let you build vertical tunnels) as a kind of water elevator to get to/from very deep areas or bases?

Something to try when I get home! :)
  • That_Gaming_Guy1That_Gaming_Guy1 A Strange Water Planet Join Date: 2016-04-30 Member: 216198Members
    i see one flaw with the water tubes. how would you not drown inside of them?
    i see one flaw with the water tubes. how would you not drown inside of them?

Make sure you've got enough air tanks to get to the other end.
  • MrRoarkeMrRoarke Join Date: 2016-05-16 Member: 216830Members
    Let me know how it goes. I'm betting the kicker is: Will the habitat builder let you build it inside? It might be one of those things like the old nuclear reactor or exterior grow beds that it just doesn't let you put it down inside.

As for air, just build in bulkhead doors, and keep the junctions airtight so you can transition through?
    MrRoarke wrote: »
    Let me know how it goes. I'm betting the kicker is: Will the habitat builder let you build it inside? It might be one of those things like the old nuclear reactor or exterior grow beds that it just doesn't let you put it down inside.

Unfortunately you're bang on, it won't let you deploy the current generator inside. :disappointed:
  • ChudovishChudovish Ru Join Date: 2016-07-01 Member: 219418Members
    Moving to a specific place without transport may be possible without thremendous waste of titanium.
    It can be rope and mechanism* that you hold in hand that swiftly pull the rope. Just tie it in two points and you can move incredebly fast in not far precise location.

*Mechanism like in Tomb Raider 2013
  • gunmetal563gunmetal563 Join Date: 2015-09-30 Member: 208239Members
    this isn't really a new idea Pneumatic tubes were a real thing a long time ago and their was ideas to create tubes big enough to fit people in only in this it would be more of a hydraulic system
    edited July 2016
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pneumatic_tube

personally I would rather use a series of beacons whether the same or special to be able to set up an autopilot route for ether the seamoth or cyclops
    Fast-travel not a problem anymore. On trello devs freely discuss idea of warp-portal between bases.
    Idea is simple. You kill the warper (or study him with scanner), get a blueprint and build a warpgate in each base. Vuola!
  • CryleveCryleve U.S Join Date: 2016-07-06 Member: 219723Members
    Chudovish wrote: »
    Fast-travel not a problem anymore. On trello devs freely discuss idea of warp-portal between bases.
    Idea is simple. You kill the warper (or study him with scanner), get a blueprint and build a warpgate in each base. Vuola!

Instead of killing a warper after you scan them and are at a certain story part like say going to the lava biomes or learn about their warp mechanism and after doing something story related you get a blueprint for a type of transport or portable teleportation device that repeats the process of a warper phasing to another place.But of course it would cost an arm leg and a specimen that you study and that can kill you on the off chance.
    Ok, the way we aquire the technology ma vary and be interesting by herself. But, teleportation!
    Wow!
    Somewhere, deeeep in the ocean, there are scary creatures, that can warp here-there... They can appear behind you and grab you small thin body with their creepy sectopods... Oh yes, I need a warpgate! Right in the middle of my base!
    Sorry, I dont know how teleportation function in game, but can reasonably suggest, that any tool, or construction that uses warp-source is like a torch in the night for thouse who naturally use that kind of movement.
    Not very smart to gather all the warpers from this part of ocean to your birthday party!
  • UncertainhavocUncertainhavoc Boulder Join Date: 2016-07-24 Member: 220630Members
    I think it would function very similarly to how the Shuttles work in SOMA, which was also underwater. Each piece of the tunnel/tube would be relatively cheap, but the starting and ending points, and maybe the shuttle itself, would be very expensive.
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
  • MarioblockMarioblock United States Join Date: 2016-04-14 Member: 215744Members
    Rainstorm wrote: »
    That idea sooooo reminds me of Futurama's Travel Tubes :smiley:

Same tho.
    not quite but its a similar idea

nd1t80s5gowe.png
    qu2y4mphu3ry.png
    the problem they had is the compartment was too heavy and they could not create enough air pressure to move it when loaded in theory water or "hydraulic" pressure would be easier