Low FPS

lunchboxxerlunchboxxer Tennessee Join Date: 2016-05-23 Member: 217361Members
Good morning all. I apologize if this has been addressed already and I've failed to see it. I'm having extremely low fps regardless of graphics settings. I've tried minimal - experimental and even tried customizing all within them. I'm using an:
Asus ROG G751
GTX 965M
i7-4720
16gb Ram
960 SSD
Windows 10 Home

I've not had a frame rate problem with any other games, and I've even talked to others and no one thus far has seen to know what could be causing it. I've double checked all drivers are up to date, and even tried reinstalling (and verifying) Subnautica's download. Thank you in advance for any help, as I love this game and want to be able to play it smoothly!

Comments

• rottendrakerottendrake Join Date: 2016-05-25 Member: 217470Members
    What is the VRAM of your GPU? I have this problem too and the only one hitting the ceiling is my VRAM. I am using GTX 670, and my VRAM is 2 GB. This game consumes 1920-1999 MB of my VRAM, so yeah, I think it will still eat away beyond that.

A friend of mine has 60 fps while his GPU is below my spec, he just has 4 GB of VRAM, so his fps is very smooth.

Graphics settings has nearly nothing to do with it if it's your VRAM that is being capped
  • ttyy088ttyy088 CA Join Date: 2016-05-28 Member: 217685Members
    Hi Rottendrake, I don't think VRam is the key issue, at least in my case. I have GTX980 with 4GB of VRAM and the fps is only 15-25, the funny thing here is no matter what graphic setting I used (for lowerst to hightest) the fps is always 15-25.
  • Alex_INFERNOAlex_INFERNO Russia, Moscow Join Date: 2016-03-09 Member: 214036Members
    edited May 2016
    After a few last updates the game has become impossible for play due HUGE frame rate. The game CONSTANTLY loading something and it lead to situation when picture on my monitor just jumping - not moving. before that updates all was tolerable, but NOW game become to totally unplayable... At first I've met it after 'LOD update'
    DEVs, MAYDAY!
  • jamesbond85007jamesbond85007 Idaho, USA Join Date: 2016-05-31 Member: 217819Members
    xbox 1, FPS issue, all is well until you get into the seamoth and start driving then FPS takes such a massive dump its not even 50/50 on using subs in the game only cause the FPS is so bad you find yourself glitching into underwater cave systems when your in the dark depths of the ocean and then while in hostile waters hunting for blueprints ex: electric eel's attack while waiting for the bottom of the ocean to load 5 secs so you can see if you can see some blueprints lying about so you can't even stay still less you take damage just waiting for the game to catch up, Arc Evolved Survival was never this bad even on launch day. Please dev's try and fix the FPS issue before adding anything new.
  • iskym8iskym8 Australia Join Date: 2016-05-31 Member: 217838Members
    Sounds like your temperatures to me. If overheating is the issue it could be trying to prevent damage. Next thing I can think of is maybe change to performance settings in the nvidia control panel, it could be trying to prevent the battery draining too much power. Being a 965M means it is a laptop if i'm not mistaken, which makes me think overheating is the issue. Some games also have issues with hyperthreading IIRC.

You might find this useful as well.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/264710/discussions/0/620695877378374043/

Those are the first few things that come to mind, hope it is at least useful in troubleshooting for you. :smile:
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Good morning all. I apologize if this has been addressed already and I've failed to see it. I'm having extremely low fps regardless of graphics settings. I've tried minimal - experimental and even tried customizing all within them. I'm using an:
    Asus ROG G751
    GTX 965M
    i7-4720
    16gb Ram
    960 SSD
    Windows 10 Home

I've not had a frame rate problem with any other games, and I've even talked to others and no one thus far has seen to know what could be causing it. I've double checked all drivers are up to date, and even tried reinstalling (and verifying) Subnautica's download. Thank you in advance for any help, as I love this game and want to be able to play it smoothly!

Please provide your log files, as described here: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=403087864

You might want to try following the troubleshooting guide fully and see if that helps: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=448862051