Blood in the water

TaiphozTaiphoz UK Join Date: 2016-01-01 Member: 210749Members
edited May 2016 in Ideas and Suggestions
Real world science discovered the reason behind great white sharks vanishing from one if their primary feeding grounds was due to orca eating one of them, sharks smell their iwn blood freak out and dont come back for weeks or months .

So

How about we use the dna siringe thingi thats in dev to sample a predators blood, with this we craft a predator repelent specific to the species, item should be worn in one if the temp,compas slots, while worn that species will avoid the player.

Comments

• Duff_McDugginDuff_McDuggin Join Date: 2015-07-02 Member: 205964Members
    I see you have two disagree votes, to my awesome vote. Gamers dont like reality much. Guess it gets too close to what they are escaping.
  • TaiphozTaiphoz UK Join Date: 2016-01-01 Member: 210749Members
    wow some one actually thought this was a bad idea?

Why would crafting a biological deterrent that makes a specific preditor avoid you while you have it on be a bad thing, the flip side and I just thought about this but imagine you have on the boneshark version and you forget to take it off, and swim into a kelp forest what if the metal munchers love the taste and it attracts them all to you at once, it could be a really cool double edged sword.

OH I also think it should have a durability bar which should start ticking down the longer you have it equipped so its something you need to maintain and craft again and not something you just craft once.
  • TIEbomber1967TIEbomber1967 California Join Date: 2015-09-23 Member: 208109Members
    The idea of shark repellent is nothing new. The U.S. military came up with a repellent back during WW-2 (or there about), but found it had limited success.
    As it turns out, hunger is a much stronger motivator in sharks than self preservation. Even with repellent in the water, a hungry shark will still go for the "food".
    But hey... limited success is better than nothing, right?
    edited May 2016
    they wont, it's a primal response and plenty of science backing it, more than one Discovery Channel documentary has been made about this phenomenon, I think it all started with the one that actually had the clip of an Orca taking out a greatwhite and holding it still upside down to drown it.

The second a shark can smell or taste its own blood it's outa there.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shark_repellent
    Research indicates that sharks will avoid an area when they smell chemical released by dead and dying sharks.

One documenary showed that sharks avoided one of their primary feeding locations off the coast of South Africa for something like 5 years because a pod of orca took up residence and as soon as the orca killed one its bleed filled the water and scared the rest off.

• Sub_NaughtySub_Naughty Away from Reapers Join Date: 2016-05-22 Member: 217316Members
    Taiphoz wrote: »
    Real world science discovered the reason behind great white sharks vanishing from one if their primary feeding grounds was due to orca eating one of them, sharks smell their iwn blood freak out and dont come back for weeks or months .

So

How about we use the dna siringe thingi thats in dev to sample a predators blood, with this we craft a predator repelent specific to the species, item should be worn in one if the temp,compas slots, while worn that species will avoid the player.

Brilliant idea, I fail to see why people don't like it. Going to add this on my post if thats alright? Giving you the credit ofc. Read more here http://goo.gl/jqx9a2
  • Sub_NaughtySub_Naughty Away from Reapers Join Date: 2016-05-22 Member: 217316Members
    Done, it's in the section about DNA and creature taming :)
  • SenneraSennera Texas Join Date: 2015-07-07 Member: 206043Members
    We're assuming that the behaviors of great white sharks can apply to an alien species.
    I did find a counter argument online which you might like to read? I did put my opinion on it as I'm not dismissing the idea because it's quite cool and would be rather fun to use but still... I updated my post and it's now under Combat & Tagging here http://goo.gl/jqx9a2